“Great Hotel recommendation for Venice”
Review of Hotel Rialto

Hotel Rialto
Ranked #127 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Dallas, Texas
“Great Hotel recommendation for Venice”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

When planning our trip to Italy (with a 2 day stay in Venice), a friend recommended staying at Hotel Rialto as she had on her trip the year before. I'm so glad we took her advice. The location was great (a water taxi ride down the grand canal and about a 20 step walk to the hotel off of the drop off site). This is very helpful when traveling with luggage. Check-in was easy, we were on the 2nd floor - yes there were some stairs, but we had help bringing our luggage up. After getting into our room (somewhat small, but perfect for our needs - clean, our own bathroom and a good bed), we had a knock on the door with a complimentary bottle of Prosecco! A very nice touch! The only piece that I would have to say was not up to par was the look outside our window. We were on the inside part - so no view of the canal - but it was also full of construction. Luckily, that is not as big of a deal for us, we just took advantage of the panoramic view from the hotel rooftop (see below).

Since Breakfast was included, we decided to eat there and I'm glad we did. It was very good with choices of coffee/latte/cappuccino, bread, meats, cheese, fruits, pastries, yogurt and cereal. The location was great for walking to the main sights and we ate dinner nearby (there were many good choices). Overall, this hotel was ideal for what we needed and I would recommend it just as my friend did for me. Also, make sure to go up to the panoramic rooftop at the hotel. You can get a get shot of the Rialto Bridge and the canal.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
mumbai
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Venice is all about glitter, glamour, masks, shows, gondolas, romance......it has everything for everyone! Sometimes it looks like a circus, sometimes a magical world! There are chances of getting lost both literarily & dreamily.......there are chances one would want to get lost in the charm & flow of Venice but this can happen in a moment or would take a couple of days, depending upon the person & the company one takes. But if one has only a day or two in Venice, why take chances & waste time in order to be in the real world of Venice.....take the right hotel!
HOTEL RIALTO is the place to stay to be in the heart of Venice, to be in the most happening arena in Venice!

I had only one day left in Venice as I already stayed in another hotel near San Marco to have a feel of St.Mark's Square(read my review of Pensione Wildner hotel in Venice) & Basilica. I wanted to make the best use of the time & opportunity I had in hand, so I chose hotel Rialto & believe me I do not regret it!

This hotel is worth every penny for its location! It is right next to the famous Rialto bridge which is full of tourists, performances, shops, shoppers, gondolas, public boats, disguised persons with masks & a whole lot of crazy stuff happening 24/7.

The reception is quite big, keeping in mind the space crunch in Venice. My check in was brief & swift. There was finally a lift to take us & the luggage(most of the buildings in Venice are 14th & 15th century old, so not many hotels have lift.....keep this in mind before booking a hotel in Venice & before packing bulky sojourns). The lift could take us only till the second floor stairs where we had to walk a few steps to reach our room. The room was like a royal home with old chandeliers wooden carved doors & windows, a kingsize gorgeous bed with vintage side lamps & to top it up, a huge balcony with a view to die for! One problem about staying in this kind of room is that one doesn't want to go out as the whole of Venice can be seen, felt, explored from the comforts of ones room!!! Ah! I wish I could stay in that dream for at least a month!! I booked this room after doing a lot of research, reading reviews & paying an extra price! I was adamant on getting this room & so I made sure by calling the hotel guys from India before leaving that I get this particular room with the balcony.

I ordered room service a couple of times & it was taken well care off. Nothing too great or fancy but nothing to complain. The hotel is very chic, clean, vintage in looks & easy going. The breakfast was good with choice of fruits, jams, breads & juices. I don't take tea or coffee but I heard the coffee there was good. My mom eats only Indian vegetarian, so we opted for food elsewhere, looking for Indian restaurants. We ate at an Indian restaurant called Ganesha, the food was alright, not too great. I prefer eating fresh local food so I tried a couple of Italian restaurants on the corner away from the hustle & bustle of the town & got great food options.

As far as the tariff is concerned, its quite over priced. But if one books some time in advance on say booking.com, one can get a good deal. Its all about location for this hotel & its worth it! So go for it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank monica j
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Lovely hotel. Exceptional location. Very handy for accessing all major landmarks and also if you use the water bus to/from the airport the boat stops right outside the front door of the hotel! Very helpful and friendly staff. Excellent breakfast. Would stay there again, but would definitely request 1st floor room (as opposed to loft room!).

Room Tip: Lift only goes to 1st floor. If you have the option choose a room on that floor. The rooms on higher...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is set in the best location in Venice. On the main canal and a 10 minute walk from St Marks square. Surrounded by great restaurants across the bridge and incredible desginer shops. The hotel was very clean and reception were very helpful with our questions. However make sure you taken a travel iron as they don't offer irons for room service due to health and safety.
The intercontinental breakfast was very good, offering a wide selection of options to choose from.
However word of warning, as the hotel is in a very busy place, expect it to be quite nosiy with the windows open. We stayed here for 3 nights in beginning of March and loved it. The rooms are quite dated but ive been told that Italian hotels tend to have the classical old interior to them. Also we booked on late rooms about 6 months in advance and got the room for £200 a night compared to £900 a night during peak time

Essex
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We chose Hotel Rialto for its location, and in that we were not disappointed. We took the Alilaguna boat straight from the airport (€15 per person) and arrived at the Rialto dock.. a few short steps later we were inside the hotel. I'm glad we chose here because dragging luggage through the winding streets of Venice would not have been fun. The location is ideal; all signs in Venice point to either St. Marks Square or to the Rialto Bridge, so though you can easily get lost in all the streets, it won't be long before you'll find your way again. The hotel is only a 10 minute walk to St. Marks Square, which my 8 year old managed to find every gelato shop in between... (after extensive testing, melon flavour is the best; but I digress)...

The gentlemen at reception were incredibly helpful; they gave us maps, helpful suggestions and everything. And when I accidentally left my mobile phone on the sofa in reception, they kept it for me. [THANK YOU!] They also had stamps available so I didn't have to rush around to find a post office for my postcard addiction. :)

We did listen to the reviews and booked a Grand Canal view room for my husband, son and I - and we ended up with room 309. It wasn't on the 3rd floor, but rather up 5 flights of stairs (taking the lift really wasn't worth it as it only went part of the way anyway). We found ourselves planning our day around how many times we'd go back to the room, just to avoid unnecessary trips up and down those stairs!

Our room itself was fine - I wouldn't have called it a suite, though. The beds were firm and comfortable as such. Our window was in the left corner of the room, and you could see the Rialto Bridge when you leant a bit out of it, plus all the comings and goings of the people below. It was great for people watching when you were tired of traipsing all around Venice. If I could ask one thing - please, Italians - you have a beautiful, amazing treasure in the Rialto Bridge - you broke my heart when I saw graffiti all over it. :( Please take care of your city!!

We did struggle with the room temperature as this time of year there appeared to be no way to cool down the room (the air conditioning did not work), and opening the window in the room and the bathroom helped with air flow. Of course, if one did that, you had to contend with the noise outside... so it's a trade-off. I suspect that as the season goes on the air conditioning is available. Friday night there was a bar or something with live music close by, and you could not escape the music at all.. so do pack earplugs.

The bathroom was a disappointment and was not as nicely appointed as the ones on the website. Ours had not been updated in at least 20 years (or so it looked from the worn furnishings and cracked tiles). But it was clean, and functional, so décor was the least of our issues.

Breakfast was more crowded on Saturday morning than the weekday mornings, but was fine. There were: yogurts, pastries, rolls, fruit salad, omelettes, sliced peaches, cereals, salami, ham and one cheese, in addition to prosecco, orange juice, grapefruit juice, and tea, coffee and hot chocolate. No bacon or sausages, and the breakfast room was not as well laid out (people kept tripping over each other) so perhaps some further thought could be given to the way people walk and the table layouts.

All in all I'm glad we chose Hotel Rialto for our once-in-a-lifetime trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MsTravellerEssex
Bucks, UK
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights on a city break with a friend. The Alilaguna water taxi (orange line) stops right outside the hotel from a transfer from the airport (cost 15 Euros per person) The hotel is in an excellent location next to the Rialto Bridge which is signposted from all over the city, so easy to find once you're out exploring the city.
We stayed in room 201, which was on the 2nd floor and, as requested, had 2 single beds. The room was always clean and nicely decorated, there was a TV, safe, wardrobe, and mini bar. The ensuite bathroom was in good order with bath and shower, although the shower was a little under-powered and changed temperature a lot. The staff on reception were lovely and extremely helpful, they spoke excellent English, were able to recommend restaurants, gave us an explanation of the Venice map and helped us by phoning the Motoscafi water taxi company, checking the time our taxi to the airport would arrive and locating it for us. Breakfast was included and was a continental buffet style with: cold meats, cheese, pastries, croissants, doughnuts, bread rolls, cereals, fruit, omlettes, coffee, tea, orange juice, grapefruit juice, and Prosecco! Extra cooked breakfasts could be ordered for an additional 5 euros.
On departure we were charged local taxes of around 3 Euros per person per day, I believe.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to people who want to explore the city from a good central point. Our room did not have a view but that didn't bother us as we spent little time in the room. Friday nights can be a little busy just outside the hotel, so there is a bit of noise from the street late into the night.

• Stayed April 2013
Venice
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Room is small, and no lift service from 1 floor to top floor, and rooms looks worn, and the good thing is the rialto bridge is just 5 steps away from the hotel, restaurant are walking distance. I would say the hotel is in the center of all attraction.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com