“A Three Star Hotel with a Five Star Feel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel San Zulian

Hotel San Zulian
Ranked #224 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Milan, Italy
“A Three Star Hotel with a Five Star Feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

My mother came to visit me from the U.S. so I decided to take her to Venice. Venice is known to be notoriously expensive so I researched hotels through recommendations from friends. One friend recommended this hotel so I booked. I booked only a week in advance so we had to get the rate that included breakfast so paid 20 euros more than I had previously seen on their website so I recommend you book early to get the best rates. Definitely book the room without breakfast as you are better off paying 5 euros each for a crossiant and cafe at a bar nearby.

This hotel is perfectly located only 300 meters from San Marco square. Makes it easy to tour around and if you need a break or shower, it is easy to get back.

The staff was very welcoming when we arrived and always courteous throughout our stay. Even though we arrived at 1 p.m., our room was already ready and they immediately showed us to our room (and even carried our luggage!). The room was simple but clean. The shower had good water pressure and was hot.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 was the breakfast is not the best--canned fruit, packaged crackers and coffee from a generic coffee machine (not espresso from a real espresso machine that is so good in Italy). They did have some fresh bread and crossiants and nutella so that saved the day:) Also the pillows are hard as rocks...we would have requested new ones but it was too late and so we just used the ones supplied.

The hotel also offered us a free water taxi ride to Murano island...it was a wonderful treat but beware as they must have a deal with the glass factory there because there is big pressure to buy there...it is not just an informative tour. I recommend taking the public boat for 6.50 and touring around Murano yourself. It will be much more enjoyable and cheaper (the factory is NOT cheaper than the stores on Murano). Overall, a wonderful hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jennyjtourofEU

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I honestly dont know why this hotel does not get a better rating, should be very much higher up on the tripadvisor rating. I have written reviews before on this as it is MY hotel for whenever I am in Venice but since I just returned I wanted to write one more. First off, as confusing as Venice is, so very easy to get lost there, this hotel is pretty easy to find. Go to San Marcos, with the church on your right, go under the clock tower, first right, second left ( there is a shoe store where you need to turn) and straight ahead for a minute or so. Plenty of little cafes and shops around this charming little square.The hotel itself is small but totally wonderful. The rooms I have stayed in so far, and guessing they are all like that, have the true Venician decor, very charming and I would hate it would it be all modern in a city like this. The beds are too comfy, I sleep wayyyyyyyyy too long there, and having the breakfast delivered to your room is so nice. You can also go down for it in a room just off the lobby but I got all I needed, tea, coffee, bread, cerials, fruit and more. Set me up for the day. I also love the bonus of the free wii fii, my pet peeve are hotels that charge for this and there are a lot of them in Italy but this is a bonus and worked 100% of the time. An issue I would like to adress is I see a lot of people that comment here are less then happy with the staff at the hotel. I will tell you that from my experience, they have always, always, been more then helpful and very kind. In fact, I doubt I would still be going to Venice if not for this staff, in fact many of them are now actually friends. Please check into this hotel with an open mind about them and I hope you find them as friendly as I do. There is also a supermarket close by, not very common in the city, just leave the hotel to the left, over the brigde, first left after then and you are there in a sec. And since the hotel does not have that stupid USA tradition of whatever you take out of the frigde, you will be charged for, you can restock at your will. Came in handy for me since I was buying chesse and such that needed to be stored. Only thing I can say about the hotel that I did not care for, were the bells. There is a church right next door, and the bells go off at 10 AM. And last for a good few minutes. This will not matter to most people but since I have was having a very good sleep in that lovely bed, it could get a little annoying while charming. But San Zulian will always be the hotel for me while in the city and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Thank you SZ and a special thank you to Daniele, a front desk member who really goes out of his way to make the stay enjoyable. Great job everyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank lisa026
Welling, Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Just got back from a fantastic three night stay at the San Zulian.
Per some previous reports, try and get room 304. It's in the attic and does have some steps (in addition to the elevator) so isn't suitable for disabled guests, but for everyone else, it probably has one of the best rooftop views in Venice.
The room was small but perfectly adequate. It has small windows on both sides and a small study/sitting room up 3 steps from the bedroom. This great room has windows on three sides overlooking the rooftops towards St Marks and the Grand Canal.
Breakfast is basic but filling - cereals, fruit salad, yogurts and a cheese, ham and salami platter. On our third day we overslept a little and the breakfast staff, having noticed we hadn't been down, actually called the room to let us know they would be clearing up breakfast in 10 minutes, then proceeded to stay open until we got Down stairs and had eaten. - you really can't complain about such good service

We found all the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful. Most were happy to suggest places to eat and things to see, even where to go to barter the best gondola deal!

The location is very good. Only a couple of minutes from St Marks. ( walk through the arch by the shops (with Doges palace in your right) take first road on your right, second on your left and San Zulian os on the corner diagonally on your right. )

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank dreamingfish
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

First, this hotel is difficult to find, especially being our first time to Venice. Even the locals did not seem to know of this hotel. Finally, a nice local shop owner actually walked us to their front door. The name is shown as Albergo San Zulian on the hotel.

However, once we found the hotel, the staff was very nice and showed us to our room. We were on the top floor and what an amazing room! Three steps up from the main bedroom was a sitting room with three sides of windows. When you opened them, what a view! You were nearly higher than most roof tops in Venice. Ask for this room when booking direct.

The room was air-conditioned and the bathroom was small, but that is expected. The breakfast was only average, so you may want to eat elsewhere. But the location is fantastic, midway between the Grand Canal and San Marco. And very quiet at night.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor, up a narrow staircase.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randall S
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Great Hotel with a perfect location. It was difficult to find but I think most hotels would be difficult to find in Venice. Perhaps a guide service to your hotel would be used quite a lot. LOVED Venice. all of the family loved it.

Room Tip: Plan how to find your motel before arriving in Venice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

Our original hotel booking to another hotel was cancelled and so we had to search for another place to stay. Having read the reviews (mixed) we booked San Zulian. Our room was clean and pleasant for our 4 night stay as was the en-suite (shower was brilliant). Staff were polite and friendly (as we were to them) - breakfast catered for all needs and on the last day we had this in our room (plenty of choice on the tray). Only moan was the coffee which was grim so we changed this for tea (no problem). The hotel is ideally located for visiting all the tourists spots as it is close to San Marco Square but away from all the crowds (although in November there were few tourists).

There is a small church next to the hotel and on the first night we woke up to the bells 'going like the clappers' at midnight - thought that the end of the world had come! so be prepared for this.

Opposite the hotel is a charming bar and next door but one to the hotel is the San Zulian restaurant which is highly recommended www.trattoriasanzulian.it is not to be confused with the bar next door to the hotel which overcharged us for our drinks.

November is a good time to visit Venice and we were very lucky with the weather however be aware that in the tourist areas there is nowhere to sit/rest other than a bar. However if you walk further out of these areas there are some lovely parks and benches.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107 which was by the lift - would guess in the high season this may cause problems...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BMWZ465
The Hague
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2011

first time in Venice and this happens . . . still a great city and I will go back, but never to this hotel or it's affiliate, Palazzo Schiavoni. Breakfast was canned fruit and thin pieces of ham and cheese and bad coffee. In the room I found a broken (dirty) fingernail on the table, the bathroom smelled like cigarette smoke in the evening, the bar down stairs was a bit noisy, and all complaints fell on deaf ears. Once I came back to the 24 hour front desk and no one was there and the front door locked. Only good thing was the free internet.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels