“Don't stay here”

Ranked #163 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Perth, Australia
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. When we checked in, the booking was not under the right name. The lady at the front desk refused to believe me until I showed her my booking confirmation. She was quite rude. Then we got to our room which you need a map to get to. Up an elevator and 2 separate sets of stairs (we actual got lost one day). The carpet is old, the whole place smelt and there was mould all around our Airconditioning vents. The shower head was pretty much a hose on the wall. I would recommend you don't stay here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ale89andre95, Direttore at Hotel Continental Venice, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest.
I'm the new manager of the Hotel Continental Venice. My name is Giancarlo Negro. Thank you for your report which for me is a great help to focus our efforts in order to eliminate the problems encountered. We have started a process of growth and renovation that will surely carry to us and to our guests many benefits. I hope to have in the future the pleasure to welcome you again and I’m sure you will have the opportunity to check our improvement. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Doha
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The building looks so old as most of the places in Venice, however, it has a dull interiors as well. So old decoration style and much used. Service and staff are kind and helpful. Location is great being near by the train station and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just stayed here for 5 nights superb staff and food. Hotel is close to station and Vapereto stops so access around Venice and islands is good. Do not be put off by proximity to main walking street through this part of city it is an easy 1 mile walk to St Marks Square and very entertaining.
Ate dinner in Hotel on three nights and standard was always good, breakfast is buffet and includes a hot option, coffee was superb. Rooms are compact rather than small but clean and comfortable.

Downside is that as all buildings are very old there is only a lift to the first two floors and if you get anything on the 4th floor be prepared for a bit of a climb and a route march.

Do not forget when staying in Venice that there is a city tax that is added to all bills up to a maximum of 20 euros per person for a 5 night stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul D
Aldie, Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went to the hotel in August 2013. No one should ever accept a room on the 4th floor at this hotel. Some parts of the hotel have not been renovated and are not well-lighted. The single rooms are smaller than a single dorm room in a college. I am guessing the square footage was between 125-135 sq. ft. Add in a bed, wardrobe, dresser & night stand and there is no room to move. The mattress for the bed needed to be replaced as it sagged badly in the middle. The bathroom was approximately 35-40 sq ft, max, tub, toilet & bidet- again no room to move. The A/C doesn't reach the floor very well; the air filter had to be changed as it was filthy; the front desk had to bring me a fan -- a filthy fan that I had to take a part to clean before I could use it. It took 5 attempts talking to the front desk to get one extra pillow. Service in the dining area was non-existent. You had to track down the servers for any service at all... Outdoor dining would have been nice if the pigeons and sea gulls weren't also vying for the food on the table or ground.
I gave it one star as there was no way to say 1/2 - star.

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for a room on the first or second floor in the newly renovated area only if you stay...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest.

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

New York NY
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I booked a six night stay in Venice with Go Ahead Tours which I have done before but this is the first time their Venice city stay used this hotel. I was given a small dark room that looked out on a dark service cul de sac shared with another hotel. The sort of room that may have been used to house servants of guests at the hotel when the hotel was built. The room and the bed were for one person. I should have changed because besides the inhospitality of the room the air conditioner didn't work. But I didn't feel like dealing with more packing and unpacking. After my trip I thought maybe I could get my single supplement back but was told that hotels charge tour companies a single supplement on single rooms to make up for the money they lose on singles staying in double rooms. Something I didn't know. I should have asked for a room change. I wonder if I would have been charged a single supplement if I had booked the room and not the tour company. There isn't really anything wrong with this hotel. I just don't care for the location. It is very near the train station and several vaporetti stops. I suspect because it is near the train station and there are no taxis in Venice so everyone must lug their luggage a Tourist Town has sprung up along the Lista di Spagna consisting of nothing but tourist hotels, tourist restaurants and tourist souvenir shops selling real and fake Murano glass and masks. There really isn't much reason to be here. These hotels have groups of people on short stays in Venice coming in and out all with their luggage all day. There isn't much else to see. The Church of San Giobbe isn't too far off nor is the Ghetto with it's wonderful square but a bit far to talk to at night. The Churches of San Alvise and Madonna Dell Orto are further off and are in a very interesting part of the district of Cannaregio. At night there really isn't any place of interest to walk to. Also because of the location I took vaporetti more than I usually do because of the heat. Once you've taken vaporetti a few times the novelty wears off. They can be very crowded and at every stop there is a crush of people most with suitcases waiting to get on and off. It can be very unpleasant. I recommend staying in another area.

Room Tip: If you are single and have paid a single supplement and are put in a single room ask for a change to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank johndt41
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel is in one of the best locations, in my opinion, in Venice. Very close to the train station and backing onto the grand canal. IT is a former palace, and as such is not laid out like a typical hotel. Add to that, the numbering of the rooms seems to have been done as a cruel joke to the guests. It is a giant maze, with lower number floors above higher numbered floors, a very strange layout. Its not super clean, but it isn't exactly dirty either I would say. It has character, which for some will not be appreciated, but for others it will be an extra bonus while staying in Venice. If you are lucky enough to get a canal view room, as we were, you may find yourself staying up late watching the canal traffic when you should be sleeping. It's such a beautiful view that it absolutely outweighs any possible negatives about the hotel. I loved this hotel, and I would say that more than any hotel in any other city we stayed in during our tour of Italy, the continental enhanced our time Venice and gave us an extra layer of local flavour. Also, check out the Soft bread bakery right next store, great canoli!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sdothbc
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to Venice a couple of weeks ago and chose this hotel based on their website and reviews we had seen. We were lucky enough to get a private water taxi to the hotel from Marco Polo airport which took us straight to their door, although my first impression wasn't a particularly good one. This changed when we entered the hotel as it was laid out beautifully, with marble flooring and very helpful staff, especially the man on the desk. He was very friendly and gave us directions on how to get to certain places and where we could book trips from. The porter was also brilliant, bringing our case up for us moments after we arrived. The room we had wasn't great. The decor needed a lot of updating and the air con was incredibly loud at night, especially when the fridge turned on and started making a loud humming noise too. The bathroom was a good size although the hairdryer was incredibly old and, for me, was positioned on the wrong side of the wall making it difficult to dry my hair properly. I would also have liked a full length mirror and a few more plug sockets, as we only had one. The breakfast was great, and with the choice of sitting outside next to the canal it was perfect for a memory of Venice. As mentioned before, the pigeons were a bit of a nightmare but the waiters weren't afraid to shoo them away! My main issue was how far away it was from St Mark's Square, as this is where we went most days to go on trips to the islands etc. The best thing about the hotel has to be the staff and the location to the railway station, but I didn't find it one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple