“Smelly bathroom....yuck! ”

Universo Nord Hotel
Ranked #263 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing about this hotel is its location. Very convenient next to train station. Everything else is below average. The only reason why we stayed in this hotel was because of the price (as Venice hotels are expensive) and its location. We were only staying one night so I wasn't too fussed and was already aware that we weren't going to get much from reading the previous reviews.
I understand that the hotel is a 2/3 star hotel so I don't expect a lot but I would think as a hotel providing guests with accommodation for their holiday they should at least CLEAN the hotel?!?!?
The windows in the room/bathroom were filthy. And the bathroom stunk of sewerage smell so badly that I decided I was much cleaner to not have a shower that night rather than touch their bathtub!!!
There are also a lot if Mosquitos. We spent the night listening to mosquitos while trying to sleep and woke up with mossy bites all over our face.
There is also no lift in the hotel. The hotel is like a maze. The porter brought our suitcases up for us but was puffing and sweating by the time he got to the 2nd lot of stairs (shouldn't he be used to doing this as part of his job?). Then he wouldn't leave the room until he recd a tip.
Breakky was ok. The only thing I ate was croissants.
Also, the guy at front reception who was on the night shift is a bit weird. He doesn't smile and gives one word answers if you ask him anything.
I def wouldn't stay here again if I was to return to Venice.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Lousy service and lousy attitude!
We had booked a triple room for 1 night for 2 Adults + 1 child in late August. When we checked in at around 4 PM, the hotel had already charged our credit card. I've stayed in so many countries and hotels, but was never charged in advance of the stay. We prefer to pay cash to avoid high credit card exchange rates and commissions. But this benefit was of course lost. When I inquired at the counter the reason for charging in advance, the guy, quite arrogantly, said that this was the hotel policy and could charge 2/3 days in advance! I asked for a room on the 2nd floor and he refused saying a room on the ground floor had already been allotted to us as per our request at the time of booking. I really had forgotten about my request for a room on the ground or 1st floor, since I had booked 5 months ago. So when I showed surprise, he asked me "are you joking?" in very poor taste.
Anyway, the room was down a long corridor going through the backyard in another annex which was probably recently added. The room had 4 poor quality low beds (although we were 3). It seemed to be a room for the physically challenged which was evident from the high toilet seat with grab bars there and also at the shower. The toilet seat was broken so we had to request it to be repaired (which was done by the time we returned after our evening trip into Venice). There is no locker in the room and the fridge was not working. There's no microwave or coffee-maker or free wifi in the room - things which we had in other good hotels we had stayed. The breakfast was very mediocre and as dull as the bored attendant who took our luggage to our room. The hotel has no parking.
The guys at the recption definitely need training in customer relationship- he restrained me from an inquiry because he was attending to another customer (although I had been waiting patiently for at least 10 minutes); on the other hand, when he got to answering me, he did take on 2 other Italian customers briefly, which was no problem for him!
Arrivederci, we will never stay here again!

Room Tip: D'ont go as we didn't see any!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sunkool
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel is well located for seeing Venice, but so are many others. The staff seem to be bothered/annoyed by any questions or requests. If you want any information of the amenities of the hotel you will have to ask the staff as they won't tell you when you check in. Make sure to ask about wifi, where breakfast is etc. The room was tiny and what they consider a double bed was a joke. There was no way 2 adults could comfortably sleep in that bed, so one of us slept on the floor each night. The bed quality was terrible as well. It was the worst mattress I have slept on in the 30+ countries I have stayed at. This hotel may be a good price for Venice but they do not justify their high price other than the fact that they are in Venice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked this hotel at the last minute through a web site. The location is convenient for train travelers, the staff is helpful and hard working and the beds are clean. The rest of the hotel is grungy and needs a thorough cleaning and fresh paint. The lobby is dingy and unwelcoming. The floors and carpets are grubby looking. The bedroom is minimally furnished with a horrible shower and mouldy tiles. The hotel just gives a sense that all they want to do is meet minimum standards to be able to collect rents for rooms. At 160 Euros, the hotel is not cheap, but it should be. There are better choices.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

The most outstanding point of this hotel is the great location and it's very easy to find. As you come out from .St Lucia train station, turn right and you can see a tourist information counter, then walk straight ahead, you'll reach the hotel within 2 minutes. Even though it's a bit far from Piazza San Marco, you can easily get there by the waterbus.

Service and staff were ok. The staffs speak quite good English.Breakfast was as expected, nothing special but adequate.

However the cleanliness of the room was an issue. It was a bit run down. The carpet was very old, dusty and worn out. Beds were not so comfortable. The refrigerator had stains from previous spilled drinks so we did not use it at all.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel conviniently located near train station and within walking distance from bus terminal.Lots of shops and restaurants around. Easy access to all parts of the city. Clean hotel, breakfast simple but adequate, coffee offered could be better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Don't do it!! The staff were rude and dodgy. The rooms were FERAL, not only dated but dirty. There was a sewerage smell in the bathroom. We weren't even brave enough to eat the breakfast we paid for there. The only good thing was the location, but I would rather lug my bags around for an hour next time than stay there.

• Stayed: September 2012