“Comfortable and Convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bath, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and Convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Gabrielli is very convenient for the Arsenale vaporetto stop, with a position on the Venice waterfront. It is within easy walking distance of the Doge's Palace and St Mark's Square.

The Hotel is pleasant and comfortable, although slightly tired. It has a charming inner courtyard where breakfast can be taken, and features a rooftop terrace - good for pre-dinner drinks and viewing the Venice hordes from a distance.

We found the staff to be more than helpful. At the front desk they looked after our luggage when we booked in early, and were pleased to help with all of our touristic and travel queries. The restaurant staff were particularly friendly and we enjoyed a good repartee with them during late evening drinks at the bar.

There is free WiFi.

The room was clean and spacious, and air conditioning worked effectively. The shower worked well with plenty of hot water, but a slight gripe in that the bathroom was very dark, and would benefit from improved lighting. Also, in common with manyhotels, there was no shelving in the bathroom to store toiletries.

All in all, recommended for a reasonably priced (by Venice standards) stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear client,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli. For further renovation we will certainly keep in mind the lack of lightening int your bathroom as well as more storing possibilities for towels etc.
Thank your for your positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Best regards,

Johanna Perkhofer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel. It has a great view like others have said but the service was horrible. We got to the hotel and I wanted a drink as I had been travelling and I waited in the bar area for about fifteen minutes as we had to wait for our room to be ready and no one was there or came by for fifteen minutes. Finally I got a drink and our room was ready. It has a nice view I can give them that. I got settled and got ready for dinner which was okay. I think I make a better lasagna then they do which is sad. The waiters complained the whole entire dinner serving me and my friends, but I will have to say that one of the assistants was so nice it somewhat made up for the head waiter who was rude. So after dinner I went to the bar and asked for a drink since it was impossible to get one at dinner and they said no more service tonight very rudely and waved their hand at me as if to say go away. I would have been okay if they had said nicely I am sorry but the bar is closed but the waving off of the had in a go away gesture was rude in any language. As a guest I expect to be catered to for the price of the hotel but I said okay and retired to my room. The next day as we were waiting on our transfer to the cruise ship I asked for a bottle of water at the bar and they said no water so I requested a coke and Diego told me that he was no longer obligated to serve me since I had checked out. Seriously? At 400 euros a night just sell me a diet coke and be done with it! I would have given a good review had it not been for that last moment of telling me they were no longer obligated to serve me and that is why they got a terrible review.

Room Tip: Don't go find somewhere else please!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heather K
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Heather K,

thank you for writing a review of your stay. Thank you for pointing out the nice view we offer from our rooms. I am so sorry you did not enjoy the service at our restaurant and apologize for it.
Of course I talked immediately to the restaurant staff and the head waiter. As the Manager of the Hotel I feel sorry we were not able to satisfy your expectation. Perhaps there was a little misunderstanding at the end because if you check out and pay the bill and order a drink after that the staff cannot bill it to you room any more but has to ask you for money on the spot. The bar tender does this often of course but this has perhaps lead to a misunderstanding.
I hope to be able to welcome you in the future and send you my best regards.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great location--not too far from Piazza San Marco but turns quiet by night time. Loads of shops and gelato downstairs. Spectacular views of the canal by the veranda, breakfast buffet was better than the usual. Rooms a bit small as expected but I loved the bathroom connecting to the other room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear VhelandChristian,

thank you for writing a reivew of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to
have the pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I wound up at Hotel Gabrielle because Hotel Savoia & Jolanda did not honor my pre-paid and confirmed reservation for the first of my three day stay in Venice -- instead they moved me down the waterfront to what was a vastly inferior room (# 513) to what I had paid for at Savoia and Jolanda. The room in Hotel Gabrielle had a beautiful view and nothing else. The cleaning staff routinely dumped bags of dirty linens outside our room (see photo), the plumbing was ancient (see photo), the beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in -- and the pillows had a handful of feathers in each one and nothing else. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was quite nice, but overall the hotel had nothing special to offer other than its view.

Room Tip: Maybe the suites are nice here, but the small room we stayed in was hot and uncomfortable.
2 Thank Britethorn
Dear Britethorn,

thank you for writing a review of your stay. I regret that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel
and will cernainly go through the remarks you mentioned. I can understand that being moved
to another hotel than reserved is not pleasant. Please accept my appologizes for the inconvenience caused even though perhaps the diappointment started already with the move from the first hotel to Hotel Gabrielli. Just understand that this is out of our control.

Best regards,

Dresden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We loved our experience at this hotel from the moment we stepped off the water bus, the vaporetto.
The Arsenale Stop was so close to the hotel we easily pulled our luggage there.
The greeting staff were friendly, our cute room faced the canal. The bed and shower were good as was the breakfast, which was included in the hotel price. It was only a short walk to St. Marks Square. The best part was the roof top patio. After our long tourist packed days we had our own wine and cheese while enjoying the view of the canal below. Our last day we discovered a small grocery store, coffee shop, wine store etc. a little ways in behind our hotel, where water, wine etc. was very reasonable. Now we know this, the next time we stay in Venice at the Gabrielli, WHICH WE WILL, our stay will be perfect!

1 Thank Debi G
Dear Debi,

thank you for writing a positive review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli.
It is a greta pleasure to read that you enjoyed being our guest.

A warm welcome for you and your familiy and friends in the not so far future.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our two night stay at the Hotel Gabrielli was eerything we hoped for. Our room was clean and comfortable with a comfy bed and simple but elegant furnishings, the staff were friendly and helpful and we loved the location which has great views and is close to the main tourist attractions but far enough away not to feel swamped by tourists. In particular we liked to easy access to the water buses.The roof terrace is a real bonus and the hotel has plenty of character. It is not super luxury but is a perfectly good hotel and we would return and recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RichardJohnC
Dear RichardJohnC,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I personally am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked the view from our rooftop terrace.
Thank you for recommending our hotel. Hotel Gabrielli is pleased to welcome you or your family and friends in the near future.

Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I have travelled quite a lot together over the last 15 years or so. In every hotel we have ever stayed at, basic to luxury, there has only been one luggage rack in the room, which I always get. He uses a table, desk, the chair, the floor, and the bed and sometimes mutters about it. So he was delighted to amaze me that the porter had set each of our suitcases on a luggage rack in room 334 at the Gabrieli, the first time we've ever had that service! I commented to the desk clerk, who seemed to think it was an obvious thing to provide.
The Gabrieli is fairly expensive and we were able to stay only one night, so I paid the extra for the wonderful view of the lagoon, which came with a small balcony where we could stand and watch the action on the Riva and check out the horrid cruise ships as they obscured the island of San Giorgio. Petunias on our balcony.
The decor of the room was indeed somewhat sparser than I had expected, but there was a Murano glass chandelier. The ceiling was so high that the walls were bigger than the floor and ceiling, but it was really just fine for us. Comfortable bed, well-appointed bath, helpful desk clerks. An extra sink surprised me in what I thought was a closet, so we each had a sink and mirror.
We had an early morning vaporetto to the airport and I do wish the restaurant staff could have coffee and tea ready before 7 a.m. Breakfast, included, was a good array of breads, cheese, meat, fruit, and eggs. We didn't have a chance to see the roof garden due to a huge thunderstorm, but I would love to stay there again.
If you're not springing for a taxi, the hotel is one bridge towards San Marco from the Arsenale vaporetto stop, pretty convenient. The area is quiet and there are several fine restaurants around the corner. Away from the biggest crowds, the hotel is very convenient to everything, especially if you have a multi-day vaporetto ticket.

Room Tip: I'm a sucker for the lagoon view, so I'd recommend that. It gets really quiet at night.
1 Thank OutofKansas
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear OutofKansas,

thank you for taking the time for writing a review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed being with us and to take a room with a view over the lagoon is the best choice if you want to experience something really special and unique and
so is the city.

We hope to see you again on a perhaps future stay in Venice and beg to remain.

yours sincerely,