“Great view and nothing else”
Review of Hotel Gabrielli

Ranked #114 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I wound up at Hotel Gabrielle because Hotel Savoia & Jolanda did not honor my pre-paid and confirmed reservation for the first of my three day stay in Venice -- instead they moved me down the waterfront to what was a vastly inferior room (# 513) to what I had paid for at Savoia and Jolanda. The room in Hotel Gabrielle had a beautiful view and nothing else. The cleaning staff routinely dumped bags of dirty linens outside our room (see photo), the plumbing was ancient (see photo), the beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in -- and the pillows had a handful of feathers in each one and nothing else. The staff was friendly and the breakfast was quite nice, but overall the hotel had nothing special to offer other than its view.

Room Tip: Maybe the suites are nice here, but the small room we stayed in was hot and uncomfortable.
2  Thank Britethorn
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Britethorn,

thank you for writing a review of your stay. I regret that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel
and will cernainly go through the remarks you mentioned. I can understand that being moved
to another hotel than reserved is not pleasant. Please accept my appologizes for the inconvenience caused even though perhaps the diappointment started already with the move from the first hotel to Hotel Gabrielli. Just understand that this is out of our control.

Best regards,

Johanna Perkhofer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We loved our experience at this hotel from the moment we stepped off the water bus, the vaporetto.
The Arsenale Stop was so close to the hotel we easily pulled our luggage there.
The greeting staff were friendly, our cute room faced the canal. The bed and shower were good as was the breakfast, which was included in the hotel price. It was only a short walk to St. Marks Square. The best part was the roof top patio. After our long tourist packed days we had our own wine and cheese while enjoying the view of the canal below. Our last day we discovered a small grocery store, coffee shop, wine store etc. a little ways in behind our hotel, where water, wine etc. was very reasonable. Now we know this, the next time we stay in Venice at the Gabrielli, WHICH WE WILL, our stay will be perfect!

1  Thank Debi G

Dear Debi,

thank you for writing a positive review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli.
It is a greta pleasure to read that you enjoyed being our guest.

A warm welcome for you and your familiy and friends in the not so far future.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our two night stay at the Hotel Gabrielli was eerything we hoped for. Our room was clean and comfortable with a comfy bed and simple but elegant furnishings, the staff were friendly and helpful and we loved the location which has great views and is close to the main tourist attractions but far enough away not to feel swamped by tourists. In particular we liked to easy access to the water buses.The roof terrace is a real bonus and the hotel has plenty of character. It is not super luxury but is a perfectly good hotel and we would return and recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RichardJohnC

Dear RichardJohnC,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.
I personally am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked the view from our rooftop terrace.
Thank you for recommending our hotel. Hotel Gabrielli is pleased to welcome you or your family and friends in the near future.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I have travelled quite a lot together over the last 15 years or so. In every hotel we have ever stayed at, basic to luxury, there has only been one luggage rack in the room, which I always get. He uses a table, desk, the chair, the floor, and the bed and sometimes mutters about it. So he was delighted to amaze me that the porter had set each of our suitcases on a luggage rack in room 334 at the Gabrieli, the first time we've ever had that service! I commented to the desk clerk, who seemed to think it was an obvious thing to provide.
The Gabrieli is fairly expensive and we were able to stay only one night, so I paid the extra for the wonderful view of the lagoon, which came with a small balcony where we could stand and watch the action on the Riva and check out the horrid cruise ships as they obscured the island of San Giorgio. Petunias on our balcony.
The decor of the room was indeed somewhat sparser than I had expected, but there was a Murano glass chandelier. The ceiling was so high that the walls were bigger than the floor and ceiling, but it was really just fine for us. Comfortable bed, well-appointed bath, helpful desk clerks. An extra sink surprised me in what I thought was a closet, so we each had a sink and mirror.
We had an early morning vaporetto to the airport and I do wish the restaurant staff could have coffee and tea ready before 7 a.m. Breakfast, included, was a good array of breads, cheese, meat, fruit, and eggs. We didn't have a chance to see the roof garden due to a huge thunderstorm, but I would love to stay there again.
If you're not springing for a taxi, the hotel is one bridge towards San Marco from the Arsenale vaporetto stop, pretty convenient. The area is quiet and there are several fine restaurants around the corner. Away from the biggest crowds, the hotel is very convenient to everything, especially if you have a multi-day vaporetto ticket.

Room Tip: I'm a sucker for the lagoon view, so I'd recommend that. It gets really quiet at night.
1  Thank OutofKansas
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear OutofKansas,

thank you for taking the time for writing a review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed being with us and to take a room with a view over the lagoon is the best choice if you want to experience something really special and unique and
so is the city.

We hope to see you again on a perhaps future stay in Venice and beg to remain.

yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just come back from a four night stay at the Gabrielli. Yes it is old and tired but Venice is old and tired but it is still worth a visit! We found the hotel clean and we were fortunate enough to have a view over the lagoon which was amazing. The room was not very spacious and rather old fashioned but it just added to the atmosphere of Venice and the air conditioning was great in the high temperatures! The dining room staff were very pleasant, cheerful and helpful, especially the 2 girls who seem to be regulars for breakfast. Breakfast was certainly adequate and was constantly being topped up with more fresh fruits, yoghurts, scrambled eggs, bacon etc. My only complaint would be that some of the reception staff were curt to the point of being rude. You felt that you were imposing on them just by passing in your room key! One or two were very pleasant especially a gentleman with glasses and an older gentleman who were both pleasant and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lagoon!!!

Dear holidayaholic44,

thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay in the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
It's a great pleasure that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our buffet breakfast and the staff which is serving it. Indeed the 2 ladies are there every day to serve in the morning and I wll definitely pass the positive message on to them.
At the same time I am sorry for the front office clerk who appearently did not meet your expectation. Please be sure I will go in details on what you wrote.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

ON the roof garden to enjoy the views of the fireworks of the Redentore and enjoy some food and drinks at the same time was a great idea.
The location, nothing to say great view over the Laguna and the thousands of ships that came to the party
Food, average but the worst bit was that starters came then desert. And at 2300 the main courses! It seems the kitchen had forgotten they had also to cater for a party on the top floor. Waiters tried and failed to avoid a disaster as they decided to take the buffet down in the middle of the fireworks annoying greatly the guests amassed at the front to see the fireworks.
For 720euros for four, there is no excuse for such a poor performance

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear P-JM-M-M,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on the redentore event we organized on the roof top terrace of the hotel. I am really sorry that the service did not meet your expectation. Please do not hesitate to come back to me next time you are in Venice so that we might have the possibility to meet each other and find out what happened.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is well located, close to the Piazza San Marco, and with a vaporetto stop a few steps away. However, it is NOT a 4-star hotel. It needs a good renovation. The rooms are sparse, the furniture looks old, and the tiles in the bathroom have that old water-splash pattern (with an occasional cheesy flower) that was popular about 30 years ago. The curtains are a thin gauzy white material that lets in all the light in the morning, so waking up early is inevitable. Internet is free but doesn't work well inside the rooms. Finally, the amenities were substandard. The lotion, in particular, smelled like a man's sweaty underarm (I literally got into the shower again to take it off!). With so many hotels to chose from, I don't think I would return to this one.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MariaRPaiz
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear MariaRPaiz,

thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
Your room has been renovated this winter and the style we chose is a traditional venetian one which combines antique furniture with new one in respect of the palazzo which is from the 16th century. I personnaly regret that we did not match your taste. The curtain is quite thin as you describe it so that enough daylight can enter the room. Venetian windows have two wooden panels in front of the glass window. If you open the window, close the panels and close the window again your room will be completely dark and no sunshine can come through.
As far as the body lotion is concerned we have clients who ask us where they can buy it because they liked it so much. Again I regret that this is not your case.

best regards,