My husband and I have travelled quite a lot together over the last 15 years or so. In every hotel we have ever stayed at, basic to luxury, there has only been one luggage rack in the room, which I always get. He uses a table, desk, the chair, the floor, and the bed and sometimes mutters about it. So he was delighted to amaze me that the porter had set each of our suitcases on a luggage rack in room 334 at the Gabrieli, the first time we've ever had that service! I commented to the desk clerk, who seemed to think it was an obvious thing to provide.
The Gabrieli is fairly expensive and we were able to stay only one night, so I paid the extra for the wonderful view of the lagoon, which came with a small balcony where we could stand and watch the action on the Riva and check out the horrid cruise ships as they obscured the island of San Giorgio. Petunias on our balcony.
The decor of the room was indeed somewhat sparser than I had expected, but there was a Murano glass chandelier. The ceiling was so high that the walls were bigger than the floor and ceiling, but it was really just fine for us. Comfortable bed, well-appointed bath, helpful desk clerks. An extra sink surprised me in what I thought was a closet, so we each had a sink and mirror.
We had an early morning vaporetto to the airport and I do wish the restaurant staff could have coffee and tea ready before 7 a.m. Breakfast, included, was a good array of breads, cheese, meat, fruit, and eggs. We didn't have a chance to see the roof garden due to a huge thunderstorm, but I would love to stay there again.
If you're not springing for a taxi, the hotel is one bridge towards San Marco from the Arsenale vaporetto stop, pretty convenient. The area is quiet and there are several fine restaurants around the corner. Away from the biggest crowds, the hotel is very convenient to everything, especially if you have a multi-day vaporetto ticket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Hotel Gabrielli, a Venetian Palazzo from the 14th century is family owned in the 5th generation. Only a few minutes walk from Saint Mark’s square, the Doge’s Palace, the Basilica of St. Mark and the Arsenale offers a fantastic location on the waterfront and excellent views on the laguna. Inhouse restaurant with venetian cuisine and Bar. Don't miss the roof terrace and the regarden to relax from a busy day. Private boat pier. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Gabrielli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gabrielli Sandwirth Hotel
- Gabrielli Sandwirth Venice
- Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth