“A fine hotel with one wonderful amenity”
Review of Hotel Gabrielli

Ranked #110 of 387 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I have travelled quite a lot together over the last 15 years or so. In every hotel we have ever stayed at, basic to luxury, there has only been one luggage rack in the room, which I always get. He uses a table, desk, the chair, the floor, and the bed and sometimes mutters about it. So he was delighted to amaze me that the porter had set each of our suitcases on a luggage rack in room 334 at the Gabrieli, the first time we've ever had that service! I commented to the desk clerk, who seemed to think it was an obvious thing to provide.
The Gabrieli is fairly expensive and we were able to stay only one night, so I paid the extra for the wonderful view of the lagoon, which came with a small balcony where we could stand and watch the action on the Riva and check out the horrid cruise ships as they obscured the island of San Giorgio. Petunias on our balcony.
The decor of the room was indeed somewhat sparser than I had expected, but there was a Murano glass chandelier. The ceiling was so high that the walls were bigger than the floor and ceiling, but it was really just fine for us. Comfortable bed, well-appointed bath, helpful desk clerks. An extra sink surprised me in what I thought was a closet, so we each had a sink and mirror.
We had an early morning vaporetto to the airport and I do wish the restaurant staff could have coffee and tea ready before 7 a.m. Breakfast, included, was a good array of breads, cheese, meat, fruit, and eggs. We didn't have a chance to see the roof garden due to a huge thunderstorm, but I would love to stay there again.
If you're not springing for a taxi, the hotel is one bridge towards San Marco from the Arsenale vaporetto stop, pretty convenient. The area is quiet and there are several fine restaurants around the corner. Away from the biggest crowds, the hotel is very convenient to everything, especially if you have a multi-day vaporetto ticket.

Room Tip: I'm a sucker for the lagoon view, so I'd recommend that. It gets really quiet at night.
1  Thank OutofKansas
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear OutofKansas,

thank you for taking the time for writing a review of your stay at the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed being with us and to take a room with a view over the lagoon is the best choice if you want to experience something really special and unique and
so is the city.

We hope to see you again on a perhaps future stay in Venice and beg to remain.

yours sincerely,

Johanna Perkhofer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have just come back from a four night stay at the Gabrielli. Yes it is old and tired but Venice is old and tired but it is still worth a visit! We found the hotel clean and we were fortunate enough to have a view over the lagoon which was amazing. The room was not very spacious and rather old fashioned but it just added to the atmosphere of Venice and the air conditioning was great in the high temperatures! The dining room staff were very pleasant, cheerful and helpful, especially the 2 girls who seem to be regulars for breakfast. Breakfast was certainly adequate and was constantly being topped up with more fresh fruits, yoghurts, scrambled eggs, bacon etc. My only complaint would be that some of the reception staff were curt to the point of being rude. You felt that you were imposing on them just by passing in your room key! One or two were very pleasant especially a gentleman with glasses and an older gentleman who were both pleasant and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Lagoon!!!

Dear holidayaholic44,

thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay in the Hotel Gabrielli in Venice.
It's a great pleasure that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our buffet breakfast and the staff which is serving it. Indeed the 2 ladies are there every day to serve in the morning and I wll definitely pass the positive message on to them.
At the same time I am sorry for the front office clerk who appearently did not meet your expectation. Please be sure I will go in details on what you wrote.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

ON the roof garden to enjoy the views of the fireworks of the Redentore and enjoy some food and drinks at the same time was a great idea.
The location, nothing to say great view over the Laguna and the thousands of ships that came to the party
Food, average but the worst bit was that starters came then desert. And at 2300 the main courses! It seems the kitchen had forgotten they had also to cater for a party on the top floor. Waiters tried and failed to avoid a disaster as they decided to take the buffet down in the middle of the fireworks annoying greatly the guests amassed at the front to see the fireworks.
For 720euros for four, there is no excuse for such a poor performance

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear P-JM-M-M,

thank you for taking the time to write a review on the redentore event we organized on the roof top terrace of the hotel. I am really sorry that the service did not meet your expectation. Please do not hesitate to come back to me next time you are in Venice so that we might have the possibility to meet each other and find out what happened.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is well located, close to the Piazza San Marco, and with a vaporetto stop a few steps away. However, it is NOT a 4-star hotel. It needs a good renovation. The rooms are sparse, the furniture looks old, and the tiles in the bathroom have that old water-splash pattern (with an occasional cheesy flower) that was popular about 30 years ago. The curtains are a thin gauzy white material that lets in all the light in the morning, so waking up early is inevitable. Internet is free but doesn't work well inside the rooms. Finally, the amenities were substandard. The lotion, in particular, smelled like a man's sweaty underarm (I literally got into the shower again to take it off!). With so many hotels to chose from, I don't think I would return to this one.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MariaRPaiz
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear MariaRPaiz,

thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
Your room has been renovated this winter and the style we chose is a traditional venetian one which combines antique furniture with new one in respect of the palazzo which is from the 16th century. I personnaly regret that we did not match your taste. The curtain is quite thin as you describe it so that enough daylight can enter the room. Venetian windows have two wooden panels in front of the glass window. If you open the window, close the panels and close the window again your room will be completely dark and no sunshine can come through.
As far as the body lotion is concerned we have clients who ask us where they can buy it because they liked it so much. Again I regret that this is not your case.

best regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our third trip to Venice, but the first time we have stayed in the Gabrielli and was not disapointed, only stayed two nights wished it could have been more, but time would not permit as we were on a fly/drive holiday. Upgraded to a front line room Num 325 not cheap but worth it for the views alone. Easy to get to by water bus with the Arsenale stop very close. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
2  Thank Colin B

Dear Colin B,

thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would definitly considder returning again.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We arrive at the hotel at exactly 14.00. The receptionist was very hearty and professional at the same time. He gave us the room 215.
As soon as we opened the door of our room I exclaimed of delight! It was the most beautiful room I have ever seen. Big and spacious. It has high ceilings. The furnitures are well maintained and it has an antique look. It felt like im at home but when I looked at the stunning view of our room I realized I am in venice. It has a big balcony overlooking Venice and I could see the Doge Palace PERFECTLY. At night when the tourist were all gone you could really appreciate the beauty of venice on its finest.
We booked the hotel for at least one month before and paid a price not too high.
We slept well and maybe for some the beds were hard but it was really surprisingly accomodating. Everytime I sat on the bed it makes me wanna sleep. The beddings were great and very clean. I checked the bathroom and havent found a single dirt.
The hotel is situated only ten minutes from the St. Marks square.
The hotel has a stunning terrace at the top. The view is heart stopping. I saw the sunset on the rooftop and It was one of those things that you wouldn't forget for the rest of your life.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank candymushy
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear candymushy,

thank you for your taking the time to write such a positive comment.
I cannot hide that such a positive feedback from clients makes my staff and me
happy and proud of being part of Hotel Gabrielli.

We are here to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at the Gabrielli Sandwirth. Venice is always wxpensive, and we paid over $300 a night for a room and breakfast. The room was passable for an old hotel, though the mattress seemed to be almost as old as the building. We had a side room so we could see the Grand Canal. Our first impression was maybe 3 stars if the breakfast was exceptions...no way was it a 4 star property, even with stars being exaggerated. The real downer was breakfast. It had some sliced meat and cheese, stale rolls from the day before and nothing enticing. Activity picked up the second day when I saw baby roaches walking on the table with all the meats and breads. I notified the manager who told me they were ants from the garden. As someone who grew up in Brooklyn I know the difference between a roach and an ant. Furthermore, the "garden" was a concrete courtyard with three planters. My wife and I ate only packaged goods and two mornings later the same story. I took pictures of the 5 baby roaches checking out the food. A manager came over and brushed them off the table and when i said it was unacceptable he told me he would speak to the owner. The owner approached my wife and me in the lobby and offered to "make it right" by offering us a "small" bottle of champagne. We stifled our laughs and respectfully declined. I can see an advertising campaign..."Drink champagne while dining with nature." Yuck!!! Do yourself a favor and don't pay 4 star prices for (at best) a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FloridaGourmet

Dear FloridaGourmet,

thank you for taking the time to write a comment. During all my years in this hotel we never had such kind of animals that you are describing. We operate respecting a quite strict regulation concerning hygiene and cleanness. Nevertheless I want to apologize for any kind of inconvenience which might have occured during your stay.