“Excellant Hotel but Staff Needs Improvements.”
Review of Hotel Gabrielli

Ranked #113 of 384 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The location of the hotel can't be beat. It's walking distance from San Marco's Square and tons of restaurants. The room was a good size and the bathroom was large with many toiletries that were refilled everyday. The wifi was easily accessible and available throughout the hotel. The breakfast had a good variety of breads, deli meats, cheese, and fresh fruits. This hotel should have gotten 5 stars, but the staff lowered it to 4.
Upon arriving at the hotel and receiving the key (which is an actual key not a keycard) we were informed that if we lost it, it would cost $200 to replace. I tried to open the door to my room and couldn't get it to turn. I went back to the front desk and told them I had trouble getting into the room. The bellhop was extremely rude, told me he was busy and had better things to do, and showed me that I had to twist the key with a force that would have broken any other lock. The front desk was also very rude and unhelpful. At breakfast the waitstaff yelled at us for sitting in the wrong area (there was no signs or anything to allude to reserved seating). Overall the staff was very snobby and clearly thought that helping tourists was beneath them.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
gab4110, Manager at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Juni 11rst, 2013

Dear JerseyGrown91,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment. These information are very important and precious for us. I am really glad to learn that you liked the hotel, the location, the room and breakfast. As a matter of fact we introduced on a testing base the use of motion monitored keys which should manage electricity in the room. Due to the fact that walls in a very ancient palazzo from the 16th century are not suitable for this kind of locking system we opted for getting back to simple normal keys. I sincerely regret that the service did not fulfill your expectation and hope to be able to welcome you in the near future with again a normal Hotel key in my hand.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We are actually for a trip around europe and we were in march in the gabrielli, a four star's hotel.
We love this place because of his situation. 3 minutes by walk to the famous St Marc's Place.
We have a room just in front of the laguna with a magic and a very nice view.
The hotel is typically venitian style. All the rooms are renews.
Excellent hotel, and excellent restaurant!!!
Just a sentence : We are falling in love!

Stayed: March 2013

June 11rst, 2013

Dear Minh duc N,

thank you so much for such a positive an nice feedback and for taking the time to comment your stay. Location is really very convenient for visiting the city and the views from the rooms "laggon view" are very impressive. So just think twice before booking if such a room type would not fit better to you expectations. Even though I do not understand if you are falling in love with the hotel or with someone else ( a person) - both things are more than positive and I hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My son and I stayed at the Hotel Gabrielli on 25 May 2013. Where possible I allways book into a 4 * hotel as I am then assured of a good standard. We booked two single rooms and these were by no stretch of the imagination 4* quality. I feel that out of respect for ones paying customer the standard advertised should be the standard provided. I cannot comment on the double rooms, but the single rooms were tiny closets with extremely uncomfortble beds and pillows and lacked even the basics that a 2 or 3 star hotel would have. The furnishing was very very basic, there was no mirror in the room, nowhere to put ones suitcase so I had to pack and unpack on the floor. At my age I cannot pick up a suitcase so easily and find it unconfortable to bend or kneel to do my packing. There was no shower cap for example. After having travelled through Spain and Croatia where even the rural hotels offered more, I was very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

June 11th, 2013

Dear Yvonne B,

thank you for taking the time to comment your stay. I really regret that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel. In fact the building is a palazzo from the 16th century which in former times was a private home of a aristocratic family. This is why it has not been build as a hotel and room size for the single rooms is not a double room for single use as you are perhaps used in other hotels but a real single room with a single bed. Prices for single room and double room for single use are different but please valuate if a double room for single use would not fit better to your expectaions. As a hotel we like to be as transparent as possible indicating the size of the room in a clear manner in our online offer.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed at the Gabrielli in May 2013. We were picked up by a water taxi (additional fee; gorgeous wooden boat that we had all to ourselves) - pricey, but well worth it to be delivered right to the door of the hotel - rather than first finding and then taking public (sardine) transport and lugging bags all over Venice to get to the hotel. We were met by a taxi driver just feet from the baggage claim area. He grabbed our bags and loaded us into a sleek black van that zipped around the airport and delivered us right to the dock. (Good to note here that we initially booked this service - pickup, taxi, and boat - directly with the hotel at 190 euros. On our return, we only paid 110 euros for the boat and then walked the short distance - about 2 city blocks - across airport property under a covered walkway from the dock and into the airport - probably not a great idea if you have a lot of luggage, no luggage wheels, or health issues... Not sure if the additional 80 euros for the incoming transfer was strictly for the meet/greet taxi or if the hotel got a cut too. To book independent of the hotel, the taxi service is called Venezia Taxi.) The water taxi dropped us off at a door on the canal that ran alongside the hotel, we rang a bell, and a porter met us to deliver us through the lovely garden to the front desk. The lobby was small, but clean, with an attached meeting/internet room and good sized dining room/bar. Front desk service was adequate, but with the exception of one kind woman who spoke excellent English, not overly friendly - particularly food staff, who seemed to be distant and quite stressed. A small lift delivered us to the third floor. Room 335 is the room shown in their advertisements. The furnishings in the spacious room were outdated (as is the case in much of Europe) - e.g., the statues in the room were missing their noses, the fixtures in the bath were pink - but everything was very clean and comfortable and the A/C worked well. The crowning jewels of the room were the glass chandelier over the bed and the wall of four 15 +/- foot high wooden French doors that opened onto a balcony, complete with pillars and black wrought iron railing. A narrow balcony, with no seating and not exactly immaculate nor in great repair, but the view from that vantage point was breathtaking. Looking at a photo of the front of the building, this room is in the center, just under the hotel name. Interesting features were a separate closet that housed an additional sink/mirror and the floor to ceiling motorized blinds that amazingly shut out all light and much of the noise of the morning traffic. Wet bar, hair dryer, and safe included. As the hotel sits in a crescent away from the square, we were looking back on the square - great view!! Initial concerns that the hotel would be far from the action were dispelled - incoming day tourist boats unloaded in front of the hotel, so there were many shops and outdoor cafe/restaurants just feet from the front doors, the gondolas picked up swooners just down from the hotel, and the square was a short walk away. Breakfast was included and offered both hot food and Continental fare. We ate in the restaurant one night - decent food and prices. They do have an outdoor sidewalk cafe for dining, but the rain kept us inside. Quite a downpour that day and the bar (which sat lower than the lobby and restaurant) was under about 3 inches of water - but bar service continued. Non-smoking hotel, but smoking allowed in the outdoor cafe and in a lovely outdoor courtyard. It was a distance to Riolto, but we were entertained during that trek by a myriad of unique shops (e.g., masks, glass, clothes), restaurants, outdoor cafes, bars, bridges, and sights that lessened the effect of the walk. (Don't miss Caffe' Saraceno at the Riolto Bridge - best food we had the entire trip - we ate there twice.) Would not stay anywhere else next time in Venice!

Room Tip: Specifically, room 335 - the room in their advertisements - fabulous!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

June 11rst 2013

Dear Orlando writer,

thank you for taking the time to write a comment of your stay and for the positive feedback you are giving me and my staff. Thank you ! If you book a transfer from the airport the pick up service at the gate and the car transfer to the pier is always included and makes the additional cost. Otherwise it is difficult to find the boat you reserved once you arrive at the pier because not all boats are allowed to wait for their clients. Transfer service is something we organize for our clients but do not really earn on it. I suggest to book it one way and as you say book the return to the airpoort on your own for a cheeper price if you are willing and capable of walking with your luggage the 10 min walk from the pier to the airport. Thank you for the contructive points regarding the room - I will go though this with my staff.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have booked for 2 nights for my honeymoon in Venice. May be we have arrived a bit late, we were provided with room that is on the top floor with no lift access, despite I am carrying 2 big, 46kg in total, luggage . Half of the room and the whole bathroom is just under the roof of the hotel. The furniture in the room is ruined, made of wood which I am sure it has been using for more than 40 years. Our room is facing the roof garden but the curtain of our window can only block 2/3 of the window, people in the roof garden can easily see what I am doing inside. In addition, the clothes making the curtain is thin like T-shirt which is not able to block any sunlight, which means the sun will wake you up at 6:30 am in the morning. Inside the bathroom, as I have mentioned, it is just under the roof which mean you are not able to stand straight when you are taking a bath or using the toilet. In addition, there is no curtain to block water from bath to the rest of the washroom. The floor is flooded after you have taken the bath.

One good thing is that this hotel is in good location which is 10 mins walk from St.Marco, but you will feel like being fooled when you walk back and see other 4* hotels on the way from St. Marco to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chongth
gab4110, Manager at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

mai 14th, 2013

Dear "Chongth",

thank you for taking your time to comment your stay. Your indications are very useful for us to
constantly improve our service and our offer. Unfortunately the elevator stops only at the 5th floor and the 5 rooms under the roof at level 6 are not served. But we definitively do offer porter service throughout the hotel. I personnally regret that you carried your luggage on your own. Venetian buildings dispose of what we call "scuri", wooden panels which are outside the window and can be closed easly by opening the window. If closed they turn the room completely dark
so that no sun can come through. I am glad to be able to will share the information with my staff in order to improve the information our clients get upon arrival. Nevertheless I regret you did not enjoy your stay and hope to be able to get to know you personnally next time you come to Venice.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is just a few steos from the boatstop Arsenale. Its an old palazzo with nice garden and a roofterrace with magnificant view. Excellent to have a glass of wine or beer in the sun after walking around the whole day.
Close to San Marco and with good restaurants close by.
Stay here, we loved it!

1  Thank surre

14th mai 2013

Dear Surre,

thank you so much for taking the time to comment your stay in such a positive way. Such a pleasure to hear that you recognized the beauty and the charme of Palazzo Gabrielli. The roof top terrace is in my eyes the best location to rest and just let it be. The whole Gabrielli staff and me in first place are happy to get feedback from our guests. Positive one is more than wellcome but also from critics we can learn and improve. Hope to see you or your friends again here in Venice and at the Gabrielli.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the banks of the grand canal,very near to Arsenale vaparetto stop & a few minutes walk to Piazza San Marco. We had a room with sweeping views of the grand canal down to Piazza San Marco which was stunning. The hotel has a fabulous roof terrace,again with amazing views.The breakfast was huge and given the price of eating in Venice,this breakfast is a great way to fill up for the day,a great selection of mini pastries,cakes,fruit salad,yoghurts,cheeses,eggs etc. The only down side to the hotel is the unbelievably hard beds,mattresses as solid as a rock! The bathrooms could perhaps do with a little updating but were clean and functional. Location wise it was perfect for getting around and seeing the sights and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank nomadicnomad

14th mai 2013

Dear nomadicnomad,

thank you for taking all that time to write such a nice comment. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the nice views from your room and from the roof top terrace. It is very important for
us to get feedback from our clients in order to be able to share it with our staff and to improve.
Hope to be able to wellcome you or your friends on the next trip to Venice.