“Charming, and fading interiors only add to that. We'll be back.”
Review of Hotel Gabrielli

Ranked #113 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A billion hotels have probably been refurbished over the past ten years, sadly a lot have lost their character as a result. The same way collagen and fillers have done for actors. Every gleaming lobby interior, feature wall, philip stark me-too touches makes everywhere as predictable as the next. A too rich design diet that is so clinically cool it makes you feel awkward when you're freshly crumpled from the plane.

The Gabrielli is an antedote to all this. It makes a charming case against oligarchically-fed tastelessness. Don't get me wrong, of course Venice has always been showy. The ego alley of the grand canal case in point. I just preferred how they did it back then. The Danielli is close by and my jaw drops every time I enter, as does the Ca'Sagredo, but I'm not quite in that price bracket.

The Gabrielli is still full of history, a congregation of townhouses adjoining a palazzo which is why it makes it an intriguing warren. A very pleasant and empty garden suspends the bustle outside. There's a bit of noise outside at the front in the mornings but it's good to feel the buzz of the place and I'm sure it'd have been quieter if we took a room with a balcony on a higher floor. Besides, we had the view and I'd have been happy if it were my last. It's far more important to choose your view over your room when you plan a trip to Venice, we've come five times.

I can't vouch for the evening restaurant but the quasi-buffet breakfast offered fresh fruit salad, cheeses, eggs, cereals, yoghurts, bread and the toaster - (more of a social epicentre than the bar was at sundowner time.) The table you're given, seems based largely on how happy the maitre'd is to see you, smiling I think helps more than believing you're minor royalty.

The room decor is dated but it felt welcoming and strangely reassuring. If he wouldn't have stayed at the Cipriani I could imagine Don Draper of Mad Men slapping on his cologne while Betty sucked on a Stuyvesent at the window. I too had taken a linen suit with me for our stay in high July. It made our break feel even more of an escape.

Without fail we soaked up every evening on the sunbaked roof terrace (there's new furniture), gazing out over the terracotta rooftops while the occasional monster cruise liner passed by draining into the Med. I'm told I'm not always the greatest conversationalist so this view suited me fine, you just want to drink it all in. There's no bar man up there so get them downstairs (or shh from a shop in the backstreets)

We also met the gracious elderly owner on occasion, (possibly Austrian) who's perhaps a bit wistful and probably not holding the reins these days, but we couldn't help wondering what stories she could tell.

So if you want every modern bell and whistle, drone-like staff efficiency, scripted service, achingly hip/overly duplicated furniture don't stay here. If you like Las Vegas don't stay here. If you don't get that you pay for the view not just the room, check in elsewhere. If it's the only time you'll visit / a honeymoon and really want to splurge/impress consider the Danielli, the Gritti or the Bucintoro.

Yes it's still pricey on the face of it but there are good deals here, besides the only competitor for the view I'd say is the Buccintoro - a little further away and now sadly done up to the nine's (and minus a roof terrace unless you take the penthouse.)

Either way you'll find you're in a better part of town with more Venetians speaking Italian than tourists round about.

We'll be going back and hope to find precisely the same.

Room Tip: The best rooms at the front have a balcony on the higher floors
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HallsHolidays
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear HallsHoliday,

thank you and thank you again: For the time you dedicated to write the review and for your capacity of writing. It is flattering, charming, not without criticism but done in such a nice and cultivated way. Im my eyes it is true what you say. Location and the views from our water front side are really the big USP's of the hotel so it is worth spending some extra money on a superior room if you want so spoil yourself and / or your partner with something special.
As I can read you have stayed here before, you noticed changements we did such as the new furniture on the roof top. We will keep the Gabrielli as it is, don't worry - because a palazzo from the 16th century has to continue to be one. Only small adjustments will bring it back to modern life. Come and visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were drawn to this hotel because they had good off season prices. Going down the very long hall to our room, I was reminded of a cruise ship with wooden doors stretching out in the distance. Our room was fine, clean comfortable queen sized bed and large bathroom with a tub. We wanted a view which was, indeed, beautiful but very noisy. I was awakened each morning, even with the shutters down, by happy tour groups getting off boats in front of the hotel. My husband slept through the noise so I guess ear plugs would have helped me. The hotel seems dated, espcially in the halls, the elevator and the dining room and bar which seemed a bit like a hospital cafeteria to me. The windiows in our room let in noise and cold air around the edges. Breakfast is included in the hotel price which is a bargain these days. Not too exciting a breakfast but filling. We could easily catch a vaparetto out front and walk to San Marco square in a short time so the location is great. The staff wasn't overly friendly but were helpful when asked. We were seldom greeted when we entered. I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel or not. In the end we had a lovely time in Venice which counts for a lot.

Room Tip: A room with a view costs more but it sure is nice to look out on the grand canal.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
gab4110, Manager at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear lpennin104,

thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is a pleasure to hear that you had a nice time in
Venice. The hotel is really located in the very heart of Venice so it is the ideal point of departure for any sight seeing you might programm- We are constantly improving our product and will take into considderation your remarks for the next refurbishment.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I will allow a minor excuse as our stay coincided with the festival of bridges and a minimum of available rooms in the area we needed to stay in but honestly, the value for the money was non existent. From the onset, the "service" at the front desk was haughty and frankly, offensive. It was clear that we were immediately judged as "lacking" based on our admittedly "exhausted" appearance, rather understandable after traveling for 32 hrs. A paying customer should be treated as such whether they sport backpacks or Gucci luggage.
Having missed our meeting with family upon arrival, we had to book a night at the last moment. The only room left was tucked up under the roof. It was about 95F and the sun blasting into the room had turned it into a furnace. When we asked the concierge about air conditioning or a fan, we were notified that up until the previous week, it had been cold and they had not yet switched from heater to AC and there was nothing they could do about it. Really, at $210 for two beds in a cramped room that you could hardly open a suitcase in? Sorry, the least I would have expected was courteous service and tolerable temperatures. The saving grace of the one night stay was that after a tete a tete with myself and my daughter, we decided to hit the reset button on this first day in Italy and leave the room for our first exploratory night in Venice. Glad to say that the beauty of piazza San Marco at night was more than able to compensate for the poor treatment in this over-priced hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the attic in spring/summer.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DHansen160
gab4110, Direttore at Hotel Gabrielli, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear DHansen,

thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay. I am very sorry that you didi not enjoy yours stay and apologize for my front office staff that the treatment upon arrival did not fulfill your expectation. People at service to other people should be polite and friendly, that is the why I try to form my staff and will continue in doing so.
As far as temperature is concerned we had a very cold winter in Italy. It is not possible to run air condition and heating at the same time with our system. So in between the hot and the cold season it might happen that clients ask us to cool even though we decided to heat the building.
We take our decision in accordance to what the magiority of clients might take as comfortable but as I said are unable to respond to one individual request which differs from the general feeling of comfort.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel is all about location. It is close enough to St. Marks square to walk (about 10-15 minutes) but far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle. My mother and I stayed here for 3 nights and we were 100% pleased with the room as we had a balcony overlooking the waterfront. The large room was filled with European/Venice charm and was a joy to return to after long days of sightseeing.

The hotel is also just a stroll away from the water taxi station (literally seconds away) and was well priced (much cheaper than similar hotels on the stretch).

The staff was friendly and helpful and were great at recommending various activities for us to do.

I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking the waterfront. Excellent value for money!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is very nice. I'm not sure if it is a 4* hotel, but it has exceeded my exceptions. It is very close to the central area of San Marco basilica, and thus to the heart of venice. It has a very nice breakfast and the view from the rooms facing the canal is spectacular! I can understand the complains of other reviewers about the horns of the boats from the pier, but they stop at 11p.m. and starting at the late morning (around 8 a.m.), so it was not a problem for us. The disadvantage of the hotel is that the furniture in the rooms and the lobby seemed old and a bit dusty, and the room was very dull. We spend all day outside so it didn't bother us.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Location, location, and a bit of above average lodging makes this place a nice stop. The majority of the rooms are small but not cramped, the bathrooms are clean and the front desk staffers are very business like which is refreshing in Venice. It is tough to get lost from this location in that it is found on the main "water" drag in the city. Once you hit the big water take a left and you'll reach the Gabrielli. Be sure to check out the observation deck on the roof.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank augustleroy
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in August, 2012 and were delighted with our room, which was in the centre of the first floor with great views over the basin and the two major canals of this city. the hotel is situated in the Arsenale region. The hotel was built in the 14th century and retains the features of a bygone era. the owners, management and all of the staff were well trained and anxious to help or assist us.
The hotel restaurant has a very good menu and wine list, whilst there are many restaurants and cafes along the waterfront. Major tourist sites are within easy walking distance. sites include San Marco, the Doge and the Bridge of Sighs to name a few.
Take the time to wander in the lanes behind the Gabrielli and find delightful squares, residential ares and a range rstaurants, cafes and shops.

Room Tip: well worth the additional cost to stay in an historic Venice hotel, views are scenic and the life of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple