My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth for 4 nights in June as a last minute impulse holiday and we were not disappointed.
There seems to be a common theme among the reviews in that majority of the rooms are very small, however we did pay that bit extra for a deluxe room. It was very expensive at £1k for the 4 nights, but certainly worth it! The huge room was on the top floor of the hotel with 2 windows over looking the lagoon (see pics uploaded) so it was lovely and bright (with wooden shutters that could be pulled down if the sun was too bright for you). It had a king size bed (2 singles bolted together) 2 wardrobes, a dresser and stool, safe, a table and 2 chairs and our own temperature controller.
The sunken bathroom was also gorgeous! Completely spotless like the bedroom, with 2 sinks, a large bath, shower, toilet, bidet, coat stand and shelves.
As our room was front facing there was quite a bit of noise in the morning and evenings with the Vaporetto's and taxi's docking and banging against each other, but you will get this with any hotel you book along the water front and it actually added to the charm for us.
Surprisingly as well the stocked mini bar in the room was about the same price as the bar if not cheaper as we were well chuffed by how small the bill was on check out.
The continental breakfast in the hotel is pretty standard with a bowl of what looks like tinned fruit salad, fruit juice, great coffee, pastries, eggs and cold meats. You can have your breakfast either in the little restaurant which oddly also serves as the corridor to the elevator, so I would personally sit outside in the little garden. Tip: If you are having a drink late at the hotel, you can only sit out the front until midnight, but you can ask the barman if you can sit in the garden later if you like. Order the Venetian drink Spritz at your preference of sweet or bitter.
Another benefit of this hotel is the rooftop terrace. You can sit here after a busy days shopping and sight seeing and enjoy the view over Venice and order a drink from the bar where you will also be brought some olives and peanuts.
The hotel itself is the perfect location for anyone's 1st visit to Venice. 5 minutes walk away from St. Marks Square, a 1 minute walk from a variety of restaurants and 50 yards from Arsenale Vaporetto stop and AliLaguna stop, perfect for anyone travelling from the airport, so you do not need to drag your bags for miles.
All the staff we had dealings with were friendly and polite enough. The concierge is very knowledgeable so take advantage of that and ask him where to go, how to get there etc... He booked a walking tour and a boat tour for us. A couple of the receptionists are a bit abrupt, but we did not have much dealings with them anyway.
I would highly recommend this hotel, but I would say pay the extra for a better room! I saw a small room when housekeeping had left the door wide open and it was dreary with 2 single beds crushed in with only about 2 feet of walking space and 1 window.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Hotel Gabrielli, a Venetian Palazzo from the 14th century is family owned in the 5th generation. Only a few minutes walk from Saint Mark’s square, the Doge’s Palace, the Basilica of St. Mark and the Arsenale offers a fantastic location on the waterfront and excellent views on the laguna. Inhouse restaurant with venetian cuisine and Bar. Don't miss the roof terrace and the regarden to relax from a busy day. Private boat pier. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Hotel Gabrielli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gabrielli Sandwirth Hotel
- Gabrielli Sandwirth Venice
- Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth