“The best room & view in Venice”

Hotel Londra Palace
Ranked #17 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Oxford, United Kingdom
“The best room & view in Venice”
Reviewed October 22, 2007

We arrived by train from Florence having had an awful experience at the Helvetia&Bristol, so we were not in the mood to take any prisoners.
When we were shown to our suite, room 510, what a beautiful room and terrace. Everyone at the hotel was helpful and attentive, the food was great both breakfast and dinner, plus the recommendations of the concierge for restaurants to eat out were perfect. BUT to be able to retreat to our terrace and look over the Grand Canal and the view towards St Marks Sq with a cool drink after all the hustle, queues and people was truly superb. We have travelled a lot and this has got to be one of the best value hotel rooms I have ever stayed in, absolutely magical.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank FredandOllie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on our first trip to Venice. We arrived by train and it was convenient that this property was directly across from a water taxi stop. We saw several other tourist struggling with bags weedling through some narrow streets and warrens of Venice. Hotel was nice, impeccably decorated and helpful staff. Our room was not a canal view but did have a delightful view of the a courtyard plaza. Keep in mind its a smaller hotel so rooms book up quickly. Nice location easy to get around. They will also arrange for a trip to Murano with a glass maker that will pick you up by vaporretto and and whisk you off to Murano for glass making tour. Nice but HIGH PRESSURE sells pitch at end. They make you feel like they did something just for you and then lead you around a showrooms of what you could buy. IF you can avoid the sells pitch it was a great tour and trip . Glass there is good but very pricey compared to more touristy(cheaper) stuff any where else. So if you are not a collector I would pass. Also we heard this section of Venice can flood during the winter but we had no problems however it was pretty chilly.

• Liked — Location, decor , staff (internet access)
  • Disliked — Rooms are a little smaller by american standards
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TechnoPimp
New York
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Hotel Londra is a very nice hotel. The location is great and convenient. I was pleased with the room, location and staff. The front desk was very helpful in giving directions. The room was spacious. We did not have a canal view. But, liked the room nonetheless. We did not experience any problems with street noise filtering into our room at night. It was a very nice hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank hopeful74
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Stayed here 2 nights for our wedding. Due to a mix up regarding my request for a balcony room during booking (my fault) we were allocated a junior suite on the 5th floor which is the attic floor with dormer windows overlooking the lagoon. On any other occasion this would have been more than acceptible as it was spacious and well appointed. I spoke to reception staff who were able to change our room to a suite on the 3rd floor (314) with balcony.

All fixtures and fittings worked perfectly although the shower did spray out beyond the screen but hey, thats what towels are for!

Breakfast was slightly dissapointing in terms of the variety available with cooked items available at extra charge. Can't comment on other dining services as we didn't eat in the hotel.

A previous reviewer made mention of thin walls - however I couldn't say our room was blighted with this as no noise from adjoining rooms was apparent.

Staff were pleasant, attentive and nothing seemed too much trouble. They even managed to give us the use of another room for the guys to change in on morning of wedding.

Like the honeymooners, we received a complementary bottle of bubbly and also received a gift from the hotel in the form of a glass/gold medalion when we checked out, which was a nice touch.

Worth the money if coming to Venice for a special occasion.

Word of caution about the balcony. Nice to sit out with a glass of wine of an evening but beware of the anti-pidgeon electric wire running round the outside of the ballustrade. I slipped my (bare) foot through the columns and got zapped!

• Liked — Large bed
  • Disliked — Single matresses
  • Stayed August 2007
7 Thank Fife_Flyer
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on my first ever trip to Venice in early May. I did a lot of research on Tripadvisor before making my decision. I figured the Londra was a good choice as it's not as hideously expensive as some of the others, but still of high class. I booked a 'suite with balcony' on the hotel's website thinking it would have a view of the Grand Canal and be on a high enough floor to not be too noisy.

When arriving in Venice, we dropped off the rental car and took a water taxi to the hotel - a very lovely ride through the city to the front of the Hotel on the Grand Canal. We were checked-in quickly and courteously and taken to what turned out to be The Tchaikovsky suite on the first floor facing the Grand Canal. While this is a very lovely room, it is very noisy as you can much talk to anyone on the street from your window, and did not have a balcony. When I called the front desk to say I had booked a suite with a balcony, they said that I did not specifically state that I wanted a balcony in my reservation and had nothing available. They did offer to switch our room the second night, but we're not fond of packing up and moving again just for a night, so we stayed put. I have a theory that they made this room on the first floor the 'unique' Tchaikovsky suite as they figured no one would want to stay in it otherwise due to the noise.

The room was decorated quite nicely and the small tribute to the composer was nice as I am a piano player myself. The bed was only slightly more comfortable than sleeping on wood and reminded me of a mattress that has been passed down a few generations. The marble bathroom was decent, but would flood every time you took a shower as there is only a small glass slab attached to the wall to keep any water in.

Aside from the room, the front desk was helpful in giving us directions, booking our gondola ride (totally overrated and expensive at 110 Euro after dusk), and getting our water taxi to the airport. I also suggest not asking them for recommendations on where to eat, but rather walking the tiny streets and finding one on your own - but be aware that all restaurants will be sweeping their floors by 10pm.

I also wouldn't recommend eating in the hotel restaurant. We had lunch there one day and was nothing more than average - you can find better places walking around. The hotel breakfast is also not much more than cereals and cheap pastries. We also found it difficult to get any attention from the wait staff the two times we sat out on the patio.

The Londra Palace is an ok hotel in a great location just steps from St. Mark’s Square, but because there are so many other choices in the city, I would be more than keen to try something different the next time around.

• Liked — The helpful front desk
  • Disliked — The noisy room sans requested balcony
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank midwestern_wanderer
Leeds
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed at the Londra Palace for three nights in late July to kick off our honeymoon. This was the perfect place to start our holiday in Italy. The location was outstanding, five minutes maximum walk to St Mark's Square and other attractions were very close by. The water taxi journey from the airport to the hotel was a fantastic introduction to Venice and there is a water taxi stop right in front of the Londra Palace. The room was stunning, ask for a lagoon view as we could look out on S.Giorgio Maggiore and Santa Maria della Salute from our mini-balcony. Even though we were at the front of the hotel, it was very peaceful and quiet in the room. Breakfast was a high point as it was served on a picturesque terrace in front of the hotel. There was a buffet breakfast with plenty of choice (salami, cheese, croissants, fruit etc). We did not have an evening meal in the hotel as we wanted to explore Venice, two recommendations are Cantinone Storico in Dorsduro and Acquapazza in the Campo St'Angelo. We found that the staff were excellent and as we were on honeymoon there were freebies (ie. a bottle of Prosecco on arrival). Overall we would highly recommend the Londra Palace for a relaxing stay and a hotel convenient for all the main sites.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price of drinks
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JakeandMay
Sydney
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We were very excited about staying at Londra as we had read many glowing reviews on trip advisor and that it was a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group. First off, I must say that the location of this hotel is fantastic and I would consider staying here again for that reason. However there were a few low points/ average experiences had whilst staying here. One experience was when we decided to have a drink at the bar one afternoon, after ordering drinks we requested an ashtray...three times...and it still was not provided. We then noticed that other patrons were provided with complimentary snacks with their drinks It was only after we placed our room key on the table when we started to get some reasonable service. One another day, I requested an iron of which I was informed that they did not have any irons! Although the hotel was reasonably clean the bathroom was very grotty, the back of the bathroom door was full of hair stuck with condensation from previous guests...yuk! Further, you can here toilets flush and showers running all timesof the day and night- very thin walls!! Staff in general are not very attentive, as you would expect for the price you are paying-in particular one time an employee at breakfast started to clean up our table before we had finished and grunted when we said that we were still eating. In summary, if you are staying here for the location you will not be disappointed...however if you are expecting any more you may be questioning if there is a better hotel to stay.

One another note, for those who have not been to Venice before we recommend that you spend the extra money and get a water taxi to the hotel and not the water bus. The water bus from the airport was a terrible experience...you feel like you are catlle being transported to the meat market. A water taxi is expensive but makes for a much more pleasent start to your holiday!

Stayed August 2007