“Always an excellent stay”

Hotel American Dinesen
Ranked #38 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 7, 2012

It was our fourth visit to the Hotel American, and it won't be our last. Everything was terrific - especially the staff. The location is close to everything but in a quiet area. We recommend this hotel to our friends as well, who have had the same excellent experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife, cousin, and I had just one night in Venice after disembarking from a cruise in late November 2011. We booked a two-bedroom apartment with kitchen and living room. It was perfect for our needs.

--Space. The apartment would be good for familes or folks traveling together. However, our apartment did not really have any view to speak of. This was what we expected because we were not looking for a room with a view--just a place to stay for the night.
--Clean. It was very clean.
--Location. We loved how this hotel is on its own small canal as we find the smaller canals much more charming than the big waterways in Venice. One can easily walk from here to St. Marks, the Salute, and the Accademia.
--Service. The hotel's staff could not have been more accommodating.

We arrived here after weeks of traveling and with a fair amount of luggage between the three of us. We had planned from the start to take a water taxi to this hotel from where our ship arrived. I have to say this was a fun way to arrive at the hotel. You pull up by boat at the hotel's private pier. It was very fun. But water taxis are very expensive, as you may have heard. For many travelers with less luggage this hotel is accessible via the Vapparetto. And then, as with most Venice hotels, you would need to be able to walk up and over little bridges to get to the hotel.

We look forward to returning here in the future. A charming place to stay that is well run and in walking distance to key sites in Venice.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank basho88
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Read many reviews before choosing this hotel. Good value in low season. We stayed in Room 202 and were thrilled with it. Three balconies - two facing the small canal and one facing the grand canal! It was really lovely. The Hotel had hung Christmas lights from all the balconies so it looked magical at night. The bathroom was small but clean and nicely fitted. Individually controlled heating in the rooms worked well. Beds were comfy and the room was very quiet. TV had UK and US channels, and rooms had free Wi-Fi - much appreciated by 16 year old son! We met several members of staff and they were all friendly and helpful. Suggestions of places to eat were good. The location was also great - two minutes from the vaparetto stop where the No 1 stops every 10 mins. You could be at St.Marks Square in 5-10 mins, so we did this on our last morning, before breakfast, so we could see it at sunrise. All in all we were very pleased with our choice and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 202 was great as it had 3 balconies facing 2 different directions (on the corner of the building)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Boycee_10
Reviewed December 17, 2011

We stayed at this hotel from November 13 until November 16.
I know there are 4* hotels in Venice cheaper, but I think this one it worth all the money. Great breakfast.
My wife and I stayed in a superior room on the 1st floor, on the corner, with a view over the canal. The view was fantastic, the room was spotlessly clean, comfortable, with shuttered windows, decorated in superb Venetian style.
The hotel is located about 10 -15 minute walk from Saint Marco Square. Although it is not near to a small canal, it is a very quiet place.
People at reception are very nice, especially Marco.
If we will return to Venice, we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: corner superior room
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mihai D
Reviewed December 8, 2011

This was my second stay at this hotel. It's location is key: away from the crowds and yet with easy access to everything. Even though we were in Venice during a very quiet time, it was great to get away from the noise and mini crowds and enter a more serene and equally beautiful part of Venice. The people working there are very kind and helpful. The rooms are very good for the price.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2011

This is the best location to stay in. It's convenient to everything, including a must-see: the former customs house that now houses an art museum called Punta della Dogana where you also have a wonderful view of the canal. The hotel staff was very friendly and helped out tremendously with directions and restaurant recommendations. We particularly enjoyed dinner at the nearby Locanda Montin. The hotel room was spotless and the bed very comfortable. Be aware that there are no elevators. The breakfast was OK, but the automated coffee machine produced terrible cappucino. Tip - - you just need to ask the waitstaff to bring you a "real" cappucino. Also, it was nice to have a computer to check emails, etc. for no charge in the lobby.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I chose this hotel partly because its location and also because of previous good TA reviews, though I was aware of it from 15 years ago, when I stayed nearby. Both the hotel and staff thoroughly deserve the repeated praise: I really enjoyed my short stay and having visited Venice previously, I think its my favourite hotel to date. I booked online from London with ease: my amended request (for a non-smoking room) was acknowledged speedily and on arrival check-in was courteous, speedy and very efficient - I was even greeted by name.

The hotel itself is very attractive: bright and well-furnished, without being too OTT: a set of framed contemporary monochrome photos (of Venice, naturally) sticks in my memory. It has no elevator but the stairs are wide and shallow, so getting to my room was no real effort (and staff were on hand to assist with luggage)

My first floor single room (No. 103) was compact without feeling cramped. It was spotlessly clean and well equipped: tea/coffee making facilities were very welcome after a long day's walking; the bed was very comfortable and the shower room/toilet very modern, with quality fixtures. NB: The window faces the adjacent building (also part of the hotel) so there is only a narrow view of the canal. I caught a glimpse of a double room with canal view, whilst the maid was making it up, and this looked very nice indeed. Maybe next time?

Breakfast, which is served in a bright, ground floor lounge, was very good with a wide range of options: juices; fruit; cereal; rolls & pastries; meats & cheeses plus fresh tea, coffee or hot chocolate on request. The three staff there were all very pleasant and attentive, as were all the hotel staff I encountered - even the night porter.

Marco on reception speaks excellent English and was very helpful - he even lent me a mouse to get my laptop working! His colleague, a blonde lady, suggested some restaurant options, marking directions/locations on a map. On my second night I noticed the desk lamp had a cracked plug and advised Marco on my way out: it was replaced/repaired by the time I returned from dinner. Another member of staff, despite his less proficient English, kindly attempted to explain how the remote control for the TV works. He failed, but I was not in Venice to watch TV, so it was not really a problem and I had the excellent, free Wifi connection to keep me occupied There's also free internet access from a PC in the lobby, if required.

I would recommend the hotel and gladly stay there again. It was good value and, in particular, the quality of service and friendliness of the staff, which I have sometimes found a little lacking in Venice, made me feel very welcome.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo