“A fair deal, friendly service”
Review of Hotel Ateneo

Hotel Ateneo
Ranked #209 of 386 Hotels in Venice
“A fair deal, friendly service”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

While the hot water was non- existent and the tv was intermittent, the breakfast was decent and plentiful (for Venice), and the service was helpful and with a friendly smile. My single room was small, but with a great price and by Venetian standards it was sufficient. A great quiet location and a good value in Venice.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We originally booked into the partner hotel (San Moise'), but were relocated upon arrival to this hotel (Ateneo) on the day of arrival, such a shame as San Moise' was simply a much better location. We were not informed of this whatsoever prior to checking booking in, but were advised that maintenance commenced night before our arrival....The first room we were allocated was very small and extremely poorly lit (you certainly would find it difficult to read in there) However we were given an "upgrade" to Superrior room, BUT was actually no better really (bar a shower cubicle instead of a shower curtain. Food was typical (sliced ham, sliced cheese, croissants, bread rolls, cereals, coffee, juice. We requested breakfast in our room, but they got the order wrong every day. Also no hot water for two of the three mornings. Unfortunately I got some bites on my hands and arms, which became rather sore. Ironic as looking at previous reviews; I'm not the only one to get bites from the room. (Owner/Staff please note) Overall though, price taken into consideration, it actually wasn't that bad. Comfortable bed, friendly staff and good location. Would I book into that Hotel go again? No....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Venice requires a lot of walking so a good location is important if you're going to see the sights. Ateneo is no more than 12 mins walk (at a casual pace) to : St. Marks square and Basilica, Accademia bridge, nearest water bus, shops. About 15mins to Rialto Bridge. Fenice theatre is around the corner 1 min walk. (make that your focal point when tryin to find the hotel). If you've travelled europe and stayed in a native hotel at affordable prices then you will realise there is nothing special to these types of hotel. It was what I expected, and well prepared for the things that I wouldn't normally accept. If i wanted better service, quality, cleaniness, food then I'd pay for a 5star hotel...but cant afford it. Apart from the excellent location, there's nothing else excellent about the hotel or service. Hotel is small..rooms not very spacious. I stayed in a large room and the bed and wardrobe takes up most of the floor space. There's no shelves. Room was warm. There is AC but didnt use as the room was fine.The breakfast lounge is small and arkward, if there's no available tables you have to wait. Its a basic european breakfast. Ham, cheese and sweet breads. Cereals and tea, coffee and jucies... If you like your sleep ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor and away from the stairway...its very noisey and the sound echos. For the last night I was asked to move from 205 due to some maintaince, so I agreed. I was then given room 101..the first room next to the stairway. However the next morning at breakfast I noticed the couple who I thought were checking out from room 101with there cases were still here. So my conclusion is that they complained and reception agreed to make an excuse to make me vacate my room. However i don't blame them the noise is very loud on the first floor. The last day rained all day and my flight was at 9pm. So I came back to the hotel at lunchtime and sat there for 4 hrs reading my book. But not once did reception made conversation with me or offer a tea or coffee. maybe cos I had already checked out? Hotel ok, if you're stayin a few nights and lookin for a cheap break. For the amount I paid i wasnt expecting anything amazing. however the change of room was a major disappointment and wasnt offered anything for my inconvenice. Didn't want a refund..but maybe free wi-fi for the remaining stay or a meal vouchure for a restaurant. I'd recommend this hotel for location but not for quality or service or romance and I think most 3 star hotels will be the same as there are lots of hotels everywhere amoungst the shops and back streets. But If you want better this is not the hotel. I wouldnt come back to this hotel. But now i've seen Venice if I was to come back i'd probably save and go for better quality.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors away from the stairway. But there is no lift and female reception wont offer he...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bhubaneswar
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We landed in the mid night and to our horror had to carry all the luggage through bridges and cornors for a long time to locate the hotel. In despair called up the hotel and they send someone to pickup. The worst was waiting when we landed in the hotel and realised that need to carry all the luggage through the stairs to the 3rd floor. Most interesting the room started and ended at the door. There was no room for moving around and it was stinking. The breakfast was something which we could not eat at all as there was only bread and butter. A terrible place to stay on a holiday paying 200 euro per day

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Alexandria, Egypt
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in hotel Ateneo for a couple of nights in September. We had a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is very close to all attractions in Venice. We reached Venice by mid night and we could not locate the hotel. We called the hotel for the directions and the young receptionist was very helpful to the extent that he went out and reached us at our location to pick us up. He also carried our luggage up to our room as there is no lift ( I was told that's the case with old small hotels in Venice). The receptionsists also recommended a couple of excellent places for dining.

The breakfast was very good. I didn't give it a five because of the room. Although it was very clean and tidy, it was so small especially the bathroom.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Excellent location only 5 minutes away from St. Marks Square. The Staff were most helpful in every aspect. Buffet breakfast served every morning which consisted of fruit, cereals, toast, ham, cheese, crossiants, tea, coffee and fruit juice. We booked Classic room as advised by lastminute.com but discovered on arrival that the room was too small, we were upgraded to a Superior Room with a Canal view at no extra cost. Every morning we saw Gondolas going up and down the canals and enjoyed the magnificent view from our room. We would definitely recommend Hotel Ateneo to friends n' relatives. Hope to return soon. We would like to says thanks to all Staff at front Desk for making our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

Room Tip: When booking definitely ask for a "Canal view room"
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Campania, Italy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the Ateneo hotel this last weekend for 3 days. We reserved a classic room for 3 people which was just enough room for us. We each took a carry on luggage& we had more than enough room for them & other items we bought there. The bathroom was a small but comfortable. My husband is 6'5" and he had enough room to move around in there. There is a window in the bathroom for ventilation & air conditioning in the room which was great because it was very hot! There is a hair dryer, refrigerator, tv & wardrobe in the room. Fresh towels everyday, room service & the room was very, very clean which is important for us!

They offer a basic continental breakfast between 6am to 10am. We arrived at 8:30 & had a table. Get there after that & you'll have to wait for one. We had sliced cooked ham, salami, toast, cereal, cheeses, breakfast rolls, fruit, coffee, assorted juices, milk & they offer all condiments. The attendants were every helpful & quick to clean a table for others to sit at. Decent breakfast to hold you over until lunch.

The front desk was very helpful & they are there 24 hours. Martina & Lidiona were exceptionally helpful & speak other languages as well. Martina helped us mostly & recommended a good restaurant nearby which included a free drink. She also recommended different tours which we booked through the hotel and told us which souvenirs were authentically made in Italy & which ones were not. That was very helpful.

The location of the hotel is a 5 min walk from St. Mark square & 10 min from Rialto Bridge. The hotel is literally next to La Fenice opera house. To find the hotel just look for the Opera house & you'll see a sign above a building directing you to Hotel Ateneo. It's in a quaint & quiet street. The have a nice courtyard where you can also have breakfast in. The hotel looks like a boutique style hotel & I would absolutely stay here again!

I gave the hotel a 4star because my friend took a shower in the morning & had only cold water. We went downstairs & they said the water was just fine. My husband & I showered at night before bed & we had very hot water! So hot it could be scalding so maybe it's better to shower at night in order to get really hot water?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends