“Great Location- A little tired.”
Review of Albergo San Marco

Albergo San Marco
Ranked #210 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Like others have said, this hotel you are paying for the location and it is fantastic. Seconds from San Marco square, about 10 minutes from the Rilato Bridge. You really can't beat it. There are a bunch of touristy gift shops and places to eat right by, but you can always wander and find more quiet places away from the hot spots.

A few notes of interest:
Check-in: Because we had a red-eye flight and arrived early, we had to leave our bags 2-3 hours unattended in a hallway. It seemed like everyone who checks in early needs to do this. Literally all your bags are just out in the open for anyone to take or go through... a little concerning!!!

Breakfast: The breakfast room can get busy fast and they waitress needs to bring you over the plate for the buffett. She works hard, but it's not the best system.

Rooms: They are a little tired and old. You can hear through the walls a little. But let's face it, you are in Venice to explore, not stay in your room!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is overall good. We stayed for 3 nights and slept good each night. The air conditioner worked, and everything was clean. Yes the hotel looks old and has 'old' decor, but everything in Venice is old! It has the old Venetian charm and adds character.

The hotel is a few minutes' walk from San Marco square and there are many restaurants and shopping within reasonable walking distance - get away from San Marco for good food!

The hotel amenities clearly stated they offered FREE WIFI online, however, the only option I saw in the room was 10 euro/hour. I may have overlooked the free wifi. That is my only 'complaint.' (If the Wifi was indeed free and I overlooked this, then it is my mistake)

The breakfast is 6 euro/person and was worth it, in my opinion, compared to the cost of food in the area and the lack of breakfast options around.

If you want to stay near San Marco square, then I recommend this hotel. It's about a 5 minute walk from the Water Taxi pick up and there aren't too many stairs to go up/down.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here in April 2011 and was what we needed basically. The room was comfortable and our room had a bathroom that was relatively well kept. I have travelled throughout Italy and so my expectations were met in terms of affordability.The staff were helpful and it was a hassle-free stay.Thank you to the staff and management for an affordable option in a fantastic location!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I took this room in a hurry! Wrong move! We should of researched a bit more before we booked. It is run down, and it seems to have two parts to the hotel. The part we were given is the very old part with old tired furniture, terrible shower which has no pressure. Worn out carpets, AIRCON doesn't work and will never get fixed as I asked the reception twice now and have all turned a blind eye to it. Wi Fi in room work intermittently. Basically you pay ridiculous amount to stay here and wish we stayed a lil bit further from the square and got better value for money. Staff know about all these problems and will do nothing to fix any of them. Instead they tell you to write to management to sort it out!!! Don't waste you hard earned money staying here, you will be disappointed by the quality and service received.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is centrally located next to the Piazza. We arrived two hours before check-in and they did everything they could to clean the room and get it ready for us. The Wi-Fi was free. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean and spacious. The breakfast was only OK. They had a closet for us to store our luggage when we checked out of the hotel so we could walk around the city before we had to catch our train.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We are displeased with this hotel. The beds feel like you are sleeping on box springs, the shower head is positioned so it shoots out of the shower and gets water all over the floor, the insulation in the hotel is do thin you can hear everything/everyone above, below you. The decor is old and worn down. The service is terrible. We asked the front desk for directions to a market and they we rude and wouldn't give us an answer. They act like you are an inconvenience. I would not waste money staying here.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Ashley D
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Not a hotel that I would recommend at all. You are paying for the location and nothing else. I would rather be in a less central location and stay somewhere with standards. There were problems with smelly bathrooms, bins unemptied - used soap in the bathroom on arrival! I travelled with friends and would find them waiting for me in the lobby, long before our arranged meeting time. The musty smell in their rooms and smelly drains made it impossible to stay in their rooms. I itch when I think about the place now....

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends