“Historical hotel in the heart of Venice.”

The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice
Ranked #92 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Overview: The hotel is in an excellent location. Just a few minutes away from Piazza San Marco. It is an historic hotel. The building appears to several buildings joined together. So the hallways and stairs can be become labyrithine. Overall well maintained. But some areas are definitely showing wear and tear.

Rooms: good sized, considering the location. Nicely furnished. Excellent, comfortable beds. We are a family of four. The reservations were made months in advance. We requested adjoining rooms, but got room on different floors instead.

Service: the front desk area is very small and can easily become crowded. There was a group of people checking in at the time we checked in. The staff appear to be overwhelmed.

Breakfast: Pricey buffet. Nicely located, right next to the water. Reasonably good selection of items. Very good coffee.

Internet: very poor signal WiFi. Almost unusable. Definitely not worth paying extra.

Conclusion: Nice historic hotel. Wonderful location. Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ianlin
Write a ReviewReviews (2,546)

Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Westin hotel chain is one of my favorite and this is hotel is on my short list of favorite hotels.
This is a beautiful hotel.
Great location on the water and walking distance to all the major attractions, small but comfortable rooms, friendly staff, nice restaurant on the water with a spectacular view (I enjoy the breakfast there the most - it is very expensive however).

It is very expensive $$$$

Room Tip: The view is the thing and you get get what you pay for.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for being a loyal Westin guest and for your repeat stays. We are happy that you enjoyed the Westin Europa & Regina and your experience in Venice.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and please let me know if we can assist with any arrangements for your next stay
With our best regards
executive office
the westin europa &regina

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We used part hotel points to book this hotel and found it to be a wonderful experience. This hotel is right on the Grand Canal and has wonderful views from the bar. It is also just a short walk from Harry's Bar and Piazza San Marco. Couldn't have wished for a better place to stay in such a magical city.

Room Tip: We stayed in a basic room, but it was better than most hotel rooms. Very clean and gorgeous!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We spent our honeymoon at the Westin in October 2011 and it was absolutely fantastic!! The bed was amazingly comfortable and was quite possibly the most relaxing sleep I'd had in months!! And of course the tray of fruit and Champagne on arrival made up for the room being a bit on the small side. The breakfast was a feast........everything you could want, including sparkling wine!! The hotel's location was perfect and the staff were excellent and very professional. I would thoroughly recommend a stay at the Westin for that special occassion......well worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YvonneCurrie

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience. We are more than pleased that you enjoyed your honeymoon at The Westin Europa & Regina and hope that you will stay with us again in the future... why not for your next wedding anniversary?
Again thank you for choosing to stay with us and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you might need in the future.
With best regards
executive office
the westin europa & regina

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I love Westin properties and this one is no exception. We stayed for five nights during which we celebrated New Year's Eve/Day at this hotel. We had thre rooms during our stay. I recommend the top floor (6th floor) room in the newly rennovated area. It had it's own patio terrace. I also liked the room in the building near the bar. It had a great view of the Grand Canal. My least favorite room was on the second floor with no view and lots of outside and inside noise. The bar is cool but the prices are expensive. It cost 10 Euro for a cup of tea. Great location about three minutes walk to Piazza San Marco, The Doge's Palace, The Clocktower, and St. Mark's Basilica.

The staff was helpful for the most part. Great restaurants and gelato nearby. Love this place and will stay here any time I'm in Venice.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor rooms in the tower back by the reception lobby.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bellaj2000
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed at the Westin for two nights over the New Year period.

Staying on SPG points, and staying over a peak holiday period, there is no doubt we were given a room that would generally not be allocated to guests unless occupancy was very high. The room was dark looking directly into appartments, there were stains on the wallpaper and the marble in the bathroom had large chips in it and the chandelier lights above the bathroom vanity had parts missing and one was partly falling off the mirror.

Upon check-out we observed particularly slow and rude service - there was one front desk agent (wearing sunglasses!!?? - not sure if she was trying to disguise a hangover as it was New Years Day) who I observed to be particularly rude to a guest checking out when the guest asked for his receipt to be stamped to show his account had been finalised with cash. The second person working on the desk seemed to have no idea how to check-out a guest in what appeared to be a fairly straight forward check-out. Perhaps the hotel she adopt an option for express check-out considering credit card details for guests are on file. It took 20 minutes of waiting before we checked out but fortunately we had allowed enough time.

Having worked with Westin myself previously I know this standard of service would not have been tolerated in hotels I worked with.

While the Westin has a superb location, the rooms are of a good size for Europe and of course the Westin beds are known for being comfortable world-wide, I would not recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brooke1000
europaregina, Manager at The Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding your stay.
First we hope you will accept our sincerest apologies for what seems poor service provided.
We have discussed the situation with the staff involved and we would like to point out that the employee described in your comment, just underwent surgery and the doctor prescribed the use of sunglasses. She was meant to support the daily operations at front desk just occasionally as she was assigned mainly to back office work. This explanations aims to reassure your feelings as the hotel management will never tolerate any inappropriate physical conditions and alterations: of course at the same time we owe an apology for the misperception of the associate conditions and certainly this kind of situation will be approached differently in the future. Certainly your comments will assists us in implementing corrective measures to improve the quality of our services and our guests' experience.
The comments regarding the bedroom and bathroom conditions are duly noted and we are pleased to inform you that in 2012 we will continue the renovation of some the bedrooms at The Westin Europa & Regina.
Hoping to have the opportunity to see you back at The Westin Europa & Regina in the near future, in the meantime we would like to thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.
With best regards
Executive office
The westin europa & regina

Reviewed January 9, 2012

In terms of luxury, this is surely one of the best hotels in Venice, possibly even THE best hotel. I was there on my own and only booked the smallest room, but even this was quite spacious compared to small rooms in other so-called five star hotels. The Westin Heavenly Bed ensured that I had my best night's sleep in ages, the view from the window was fantastic and there was even an additional dressing room. Breakfast was lavish and generally very tasty - apart from the bacon which had far too much fat in it. The service from the staff was generally very good, with one small exception at check out. When I reached the reception to pay my bill there was just one guest in front of me. He seemed to be having tremendous problems with his credit card - or possibly the hotel was having problems with its credit card machine (as they weren't speaking in English I couldn't tell which was the case). 15 to 20 minutes later, I was still standing there before eventually the receptionist told the guest in front of me that he'd have to wait while she served me. Fortunately I had plenty of time, but would have hated to be in this situation if I was in a rush and wondered what might have happened if several people had been trying to check out then? The problem can easily be solved by having a second member of staff who can check guests out. I hope they can sort this out before I go there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo