“Horrible rude staff. Possible discrimination”

Gelateria lo Squero
Ranked #31 of 92 Dessert in Venice
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Reviewed October 14, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stumbled on this place while lost in Venice. The first time we were there we were taken aback by how curt the guy behind the counter was with us, despite how overly friendly he was with the two people before us.

When we asked for a sample he replied "just one. No more." We though it was strange but didn't think much of it. My wife and I each purchased gelato and walked out.
The day we were leaving we figured we would return again because it was close to our airbnb and good gelato.
This is EXACTLY how our second visit went with the same guy during our first visit --

Me: Buongiorno!
Him: Hi
Me: Can I sample the cocco? Perfavore.
Him: No. No samples
Me: Oh? But I got a sample yesterday
Him: No sample today
Me: Okay? So samples were okay yesterday but not today?
Him: Huh?
Me: I guess you pick and choose who you give samples to
Him: Ehh Si!

My wife was visibly upset and walked out of the store. I am not exactly sure why he treated us in the manner he did both times, but I can only assume it was because we are an (obvious) lesbian couple.

I have never experienced this before and I am having trouble wrapping my mind over his very dismissive nature with us. We were never rude. In fact, the quite opposite as we are well traveled and ALWAYS make an effort to connect with people in their native tongue wherever we travel.

It's a shame because this place has good gelato. I just cannot promote this business because my money DOES matter.

1  Thank PassportHeavy
Dario L, Proprietario at Gelateria lo Squero, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2018

Ridicolous, you are talking about homophobia in a review of an ice cream shop. Congrats

Reviewed October 14, 2017

We always stop here for a gelato when walking around the Dorsodoro. It's just across the canal from the gondola building/repair shop in a quiet area.

Reviewed August 19, 2017 via mobile

Stopping by Squero reminded me that I have a gelato addiction- only the real Italian will do. The pistachio and chocolate were both perfect. Prices reasonablr, and not as overrun with tourists as the trendiest place down the canal.

Reviewed August 10, 2017 via mobile

Returned here many times during my time in the city and every time had superb gelato. I found that Squero offered a wider range of flavors than other nearby gelaterias, and I believe made their gelato with higher quality ingredients, as it was far richer and more creamy than others. Also, it was much cheaper (~ ,30€ less) than nearby gelaterias on main streets. Cannot recommend it highly enough!!

Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

All homemade best banana I have ever had. They have a sort of ice cream sandwich on biscotti. Yum and then more YUM.