“Great location, very reasonable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Venice
Istituto San Giuseppe
Ranked #23 of 228 Specialty Lodging in Venice
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Small but pristine accommodations. Wonderful location. Stayed there four nights in July, 2012. Here are the directions to get there: Walking - From the train station take the fast boat #2 (not the #1 milk train). Get off at Rialto Bridge. Turn left and walk past the Rialto Bridge. Look off to your right for S. Lio Street. Cross the bridge. Go three blocks to the dead-end T, and turn right. Go one block and turn right just before the next bridge. The Istituto is half a block straight ahead.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank venicesarasota

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Our family stayed at the Istituto and enjoyed the central location and character of our accommodation. The rooms are basic, but extremely clean and have everything you need, including WiFi. We enjoyed seeing the children at school on our way out in the morning. The Istituto is a lovely building and we felt very at home.

Room Tip: We had two rooms with three beds each - not sure if they do doubles. Very quiet and secure location
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Justforfunmum
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Istituto San Giuseppe is a wonderful place to stay in Venice very close to both St Marks square and the Rialto bridge . I have just stayed there with two friends on a four night trip, the room was spotless, the beds comfortable and there was plenty of hot water . It was lovely and peaceful and the Nuns were very sweet and helpful. We found a coffee shop nearby for breakfast and had fun finding great places to eat in the evening. One evening went to a concert and got back in plenty of time for the curfew. I will certainly stay there again and recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Cloudlea
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I've stayed at the Istituto San Giuseppe four times and loved every visit. I've been on my own as well as with my family. I don't speak much Italian and had no problems communicating with the nuns. As long as you respect the curfew you'll be fine. The location is beyond excellent. The rooms are comfortable. I highly recommend for people to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
11  Thank Kelly O
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed here three nights last summer. The location is wonderful, right on a canal. The nunnery is big, but nice and quiet. My room was on the 4th floor, big enough with two single beds, nice window with a view over the real venice. The a/c worked great and the bathroom was modern and large for a single room. In an expensive city like Venice, this is the best deal you're going to get- less than $60/night. The only downside I can think of is if you're a big party person and want to be out past their curfew of midnight. After midnight they apparently don't answer the door and let you in the main door (I didn't test this rule).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank SterlingGuy
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed here around Easter 2011 when hotel prices when through the roof- this is reasonably priced, secure, comfortable and well located accommodation. The nuns are very helpful, but communicaton limited if you do not speak italian.

Had a room with twin beds which was spotlessly clean but beds slightly on the small side. There is a nightly curfew since this is a convent, but respect their rules and you will enjoy your stay. The location is fantastic, very near the Piazza San Marco with plenty of shops and restaurants around.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ml648926
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My wife and I had 4 good nights here. We wanted clean, simple accommodation at a budget price and got exactly that. It is run by nuns and contains a primary school, although the children were on holiday. Being an ex teacher I would have liked to see it up and running. Will have to go back.

It is a large, rambling old building with a central hall and court yards; pretty much what you'd expect in Venice. The rooms are clustered together at the back on the upper floors; third and fourth, I think. There is a lift though. We looked out onto more old buildings which seemed to be flats for native Venetians. The main door is impressive but set back from the hustle and bustle of one of the main walking routes between Rialto Bridge and St Mark's Square. These two sites are about 5 minutes stroll so you are very central. The institute is right on a busy little canal. Plush gondolas, food-supply boats, police, the bin men, all sail past. So it's busy, interesting and atmospheric. The accommodation itself is calm and quiet though, as you'd expect in a religious building.

The room was simple but comfortable. There was an efficient air conditioning unit for which we were grateful. The bathroom was fine. The nuns are courteous and helpful and require you to be in by 11 pm. They speak decent English and they listened patiently to my rudimentary Italian and even taught me some new vocab.

We paid 74 Euros per night for our double room. There was no breakfast but there is a small dining room with a fridge and microwave where you can rustle up your own breakfast. There is a small, well stocked supermarket 1 min walk away. Also every kind of cafe and restaurant within a stroll.

We booked it through Monastery Stays, who have a useful web site of similar accommodation throughout Italy. Their charge is hefty though, a further 74 Euros, which only becomes apparent at the end of the booking process. They only point out that they take nothing from the accommodation providers. If I were to book again I would ring the Institute directly.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple