“When in Venice visit Harry's Bar”
Review of Harry's Bar

Harry's Bar
Ranked #15 of 74 Nightlife in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1929, this has been a popular watering hole and elegant eatery for writers, artists, celebrities and aristocrats.
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Over priced a bit stuffy but great Bellinis and Carpaccio. A well known institution. Went for drinks and snack since the restaurant had not open at the hour we visited

1  Thank Rolando M

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I am from the UK, and have lived in Venice for four years. I had never been to Harry's, so decided to give it a try, despite bad revues from Venetian friends. I had a friend from Scotland with me. We, two ladies, arrived about 10.30pm and received no welcome at all. The waiters appraised us, judged as non VIPs and were treated us as such. We were handed menus and decided to take the cheapest option - two Proseccos - 20 euros! They were served in small, cheap glasses you would buy in a supermarket. No nibbles were offered, as is done in every bar in Venice. We asked for crisps and they practically smirked! "We only have olives", they said, which were then added to the bill. To top it all, at 11pm, we had to leave by a side entrance which passed the kitchens!

If you want excellent service, avoid this place and go to my favourite bar - Le Cafe, in Campo Santo Stefano. Wonderful service, tall, elegant glasses, free cichetti made on the premises. Two glasses of Prosecco at the bar - a normal charge of 5 euros!!

5  Thank Monjie
Reviewed January 2, 2014

An 'Old school service' which was refreshingly quaint - Food was excellent if not very expensive but then most places are in Venice. One rather felt like an outsider tolerated by its regular frequenters to the bar..but these same people made it a good 'people watching' attraction -Extremely wealthy native Venetians. I speak Italian which always helps though one still felt it wasn't the friendliest bar ever. I have to say as much as I love Italy, which I do with a passion, its people generally are not terribly friendly, certainly not as amenable as French and Germans from extensive experience.
If you have a large enough wallet, its worth the visit, for the novelty, but don't as others have said expect The Ritz in its decor.

1  Thank julietaylor007
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Came across this bar by chance although I had heard about it many times. Walked in and saw the decor was bland and uninteresting with bar staff that looked like robots. On being given the drinks list decided we weren't even going to stay. It's way over priced with an almost unpleasant atmosphere. If you've any sense give it a big miss!!

2  Thank Sideycat
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Harry's Bar was totally empty when we walked in but within 10 minutes the place was half full. We were given a drinks menu but we knew what we wanted - Bellinis. I was surprised at the glasses they were served in, more like a large shot glass. I guess I was expecting it to be served in a champagne glass. Nevertheless it tasted delicious.

As it was cold outside, the shops had shut and it was too early for dinner, we decided to stay for another round of Bellinis which were just as good!

They service throughout had been good although the waiters didn't really engage with the customers. We weren't the only tourists and it was the same throughout the bar. They were polite and courteous and answered the questions we asked but they didn't volunteer any additional information.

Overall very good and this is definitely a must do when visiting Venice.

1  Thank E-traveller1969