“Overpriced”
Review of Harry's Bar

Harry's Bar
Ranked #14 of 74 Nightlife in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1929, this has been a popular watering hole and elegant eatery for writers, artists, celebrities and aristocrats.
Fort Collins, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Overpriced”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stumbled upon this place while waiting for a taxi boat. My wife had seen it in the guide book. They don't serve wine so the waiter suggested champagne. Bill $75 US for 2 drinks.

2 Thank lhuff238

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Belfast
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Avoid this tourist trap.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Harry was a student who's aunt left him penniless in Venice - well, so will this bar! 16 euros for a small bellini. I don't care how good it tastes - that is a complete rip off. This was a bar opened for high society, and I appreciate that, but nothing can qualify a sixteen euro bellini. Definitely a bar for rich tourists who can afford the ridiculous menu (thirty five euros for a measure of regular old Jack Daniels! come on!!). It's not worth the experience - we ordered the bellinis without thinking they'd cost so much (as if 16 euro isn't enough they add a cover charge too) but the atmosphere isn't even particularly enjoyable. Tourists come in, drink their bellinis and leave (some even left after viewing the menu). Also, don't go in after 6pm unless you're adhering to the 'dress code'.
Don't get me wrong - if money is no object by all means go, but i'd rather spend my 38 euros on a decent meal in a trattoria in cannareggio.
Staff are friendly in an efficient manner.
Would I go back? Erm, no.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Elle_M7
Karachi, Pakistan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Overpriced and overrated”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Was told Harry's Bar was a must in Venice as the place where the Bellini was invented. Went to find it overcrowded, packed with tourists, offering only a very limited bar menu (even though they had accepted a reservation to serve us from the full lunch menu when our hotel rang them.) I had a small bowl of yellow mushy 'seafood soup', with three pieces of unidentifiable 'seafood', which cost 31 Euros. The carpaccio on the menu cost 49 Euros... more than Ciprianis in London! The place was a tiny and very basic cafe charging the most outrageous prices. Never again would I waste my time.

2 Thank foodisall
Glasgow, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Expensive”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Enjoyed our visit to Harry's Bar,albeit we found it to be very expensive.
Clearly this a watering hole for well healed locals.
I'm glad we went but don't think it is worth a second visit.

Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Don't bother!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had read the poor reviews on Harry's bar before we went but thought surely it couldn't be that bad. It was all that and more. No atmosphere, rude waiters, dirty tables and broken glass on the floor. I don't mind paying for expensive drinks where I am made to feel welcome! Wish I'd worn shorts and not been allowed in..

Visited September 2013