“Quality food, attentive service and not rammed with tourists.”
Review of Taverna da Baffo

Taverna da Baffo
Ranked #140 of 1,469 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Polo
Description: We provide also gluten free meals
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Visiting Venice on a budget, we were careful to check reviews and try to find places to eat which were still traditional, so tried to avoid the tourist menus (which aren't generally very good dishes) or extortionate restaurants in prime locations. Taverna da Baffo did not disappoint - there were a few other people there so we didn't feel too crammed in or like we were under the spotlight, the food was very good (I'm no food critic and I'm not fussy, but equally I know when I get a well prepared meal). The waiter was very friendly, kept our wine glasses topped up without intruding, and was very helpful with suggesting foods to compliment each other. Also, the portion sizes were just right - we had a first and second course (no appetisers) and dessert, and were both comfortably filled. As a guideline for people, this cost between 70 and 80 euros for two (3 courses each plus a bottle of wine), which seems to be about what you'll pay in Venice for a decent meal.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Went here based on the recent high rating, but it was not good at all. It was freezing in the restaurant, literally no heat, probably about 45F. Maybe a sign of cost cutting. Soups were decent, but house wine (Merlot) was fermenting, slightly fizzy, and very cold. Had them replace it with a glass of bottled wine, that was fine, but oddly they didn't apologize. Two entrees were not good. Penne arrabiata was poor quality and too oily. Eggplant parmesan was disgusting, so oily and overcooked I couldn't manage more than one bite. The whole place also had a weird vibe, like it was a front for money laundering or something. Eat here at your own risk.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Bags of atmosphere, a trate sadly lacking in many Venetian restaurants encountered on this trip. Food was good, service fast and enthusiastic, in short thoroughly enjoyable and reasonably priced. Taverna da Baffo gets a thumbs up, definitely worth seeking out in my opinion.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband I found this on Tripadvisor and after 2 pretty average and overpriced dinners it was a really pleasant surprise. Good atmosphere, busy but got a table no problem, food was excellent and generous portions. Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank AlexisP1972
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We fell into this place, not really looking for anything special just somewhere for lunch, it was amazing food, freshly made pizza, for €8-€14. Coke was €5 which was more expensive than wine, so go for the vino! The waitron was friendly and attentive, we were the only ones in the place so it lacked atmosphere but I imagine that was simply the time of year and day. A good choice if you are in the area.