“Starry starry night”

Ranked #31 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Starry starry night”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed at this superb hotel as part of a package which included a trip from Venice to Calais on the Orient Express. The hotel had just reopened after a few months of redecoration and was absolutely beautiful. We were upgraded to a junior suite which was stunning and opened, via a small garden, to the heated outdoor pool (perfect). The hotel is stylish and elegant and exceeded all of our expectations. Service was second to none, the staff were very helpful and very professional. We were made to feel very special indeed and had a fantastic break. The complimentary boat taxi service to San Marco (5 minutes) which runs every 15 minutes 24 hours a day is very useful.

Room Tip: It is hard to believe there will be a room in the hotel which is not superb. We were upgraded to a g...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Linda D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Venice
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This hotel is excellent and in keeping with the attached experience of traveling by the Orient Express to Venice. It is actually the hotel of choice of the stars on location. As with the Orient Express, it is, as expected, expensive but well worth it--- A stay and a trip of a lifetime.

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have travelled the world and stayed in many first class hotels. This is for me the stand-out hotel of the last 30 years, elegant, timeless, peaceful, fabulous. An outstanding place to stay. For us, it exceeded all our expectations.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Yes it most certainly is. This hotel is just beautiful and the staff are amazing. We had a two day stay here before boarding the Orient Express.The service you get here is second to none. We were treated like celebrities. Make sure you take your swimsuit as the pool is about 30 degrees all the time. Dont worry its on Guidecca Island there is a free taxi boat which takes you to St Marks Square every 15 minutes or so, this is also a wonderful experience. Make sure you have plenty of time for your breakfast its a delightful feast, and should last you most of the day. We had a meal in the restaurant which was about 300 euros for two, but was absolutely amazing and worth every penny. Really unusual combinations of food, but really enjoyable and great to be adventurous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a little luxury, but make sure you have some comfy walking shoes, but not trainers....

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade to a sea view or garden view balcony room.
1 Thank Tonilouisegarside
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Our stay at the Cipriani was everything we hoped it would be, & more, for our trip to celebrate my Mum's 70th birthday. Airport transfers on arrival to the hotel by taxi & boat (you pay extra, but well worth it), then to the train station on our departure (where we boarded the Venice Simplon Orient Express for our return journey to London), were effortless & provided another chance to discover more of the watery landscape that Venice has to offer. All staff - without exception - were friendly, professional & nothing was too much trouble. We were upgraded to a spectacular lagoon (water) view room & our room and italian marble bathroom were spacious & gorgeous. Fresh roses, complimentary wine/Venetian biscuits & Bulgari goodies also welcomed our arrival. The Oro Restaurant was amazing (haute cuisine) and so much better than Cip's (the more relaxed restaurant but still very expensive - our only slightly disappointing experience in the whole hotel). Room service for breakfast was also prompt & high quality - as was the breakfast served in the restaurant. The whole hotel and gardens are beautifully presented & immaculate - there are fresh flower displays and the most beautiful orchids everywhere. All staff provide an outstanding service, from the housekeeping ladies, to the Concierge, reception and restaurant guys - there is even a complimentary water taxi shuttle to St Mark's to see the sights (takes approx 10 mins). You get the best of both worlds at the Cipriani because you can access the Venice sights easily, but are well away from the dreadful tourist traps around St Mark's. We had an absolutely magical time at the Cipriani & could not recommend this as a place to stay highly enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank Gnomelette
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Always dreamed of visiting Venice and then had my eye on the Cipriani as a hotel to stay in...so in my quest to visit the most fantastic hotels in the world I went ahead and booked a stay at the Cipriani Hotel for the three of us (long not-so-suffering husband, the bairn and yours truly).

From the moment you arrive you are made top feel welcome and expected, you are greeted by name (and title) and made feel that "nothing is too much".
The bairn was made welcome from the minute we stepped out of the boat and the staff were there to cater for our every whim. She found it easy to get used to being adressed as "signorina P"!

We had a wonderful "garden suite" in the Palazzo Vendramin area that has a private Venetian garden where you can relax and also have meals served if you fancy to do so.
The living room area had the quaintest bureau desk replenished with luxurious Venetian stationery.

We had the most wonderful butler looking after us and my only regret is that I could not bring him home with us! Everytime we left the room the staff would tidy after us and the clothes were organised all the time (bliss...), the bathroom was gorgeous with marble features and the customary Bvlgari toiletries to enjoy.

The swimming pool is delightful and expansive (for the likes of Venice).
In general the hotel is tremendously child friendly despite it's sheer elegance and exclusivity.
The staff are seen to make a point of remembering your drink and food preferneces and that is definitely appreciated.

The Fortuny restaurant has the most amazing view and the food was all of very good quality.
If I had one critical point to mention for improvement I would possibly highlight the desserts and petit fours, as these could maybe be made a little better and appealing.

The boat transport is fantastic and the Giudecca island is a true haven.
Try not to worry about the final bill when visiting this place and enjoy...well worth the visit!

On departure we were told that "they hoped to see us next year"...definitely will do my best to do so!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank CCP1970
Exeter
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Two months ago whilst attending the Venice Arrhythmias Cardiology conference I had the great pleasure to stay at the Cipriani. The hotel is located in the island of Giudecca, virtually opposite Piazza San Marco and the hotel's private wooden venezian classic boat is the shuttle in between both places. If you are coming from the Marco Polo airport you must take a water taxi, not cheap but certainly the easiest way to get to the hotel....and a necessary arrival in style !!.

I was welcomed by several members of staff. I had a free upgrade straight away to a larger but not huge room as I don't think large rooms exist in any hotels in Venice at least you are wealthy enough to afford on of the suites in the original building at the Danielli). I was introduced to the hotel and shown around by a charming Italian lady who coped very well with my now rusty Italian. The hotel is just the right size and very tranquil, managing to keep away from the buzzling of main Venice.

The room service is impeccable. I have the habit when I travel on my own to throw my clothes on the bed, chairs, etc. Every time I returned to my room all the clothes were either fold or hanging in the wardrobe even inside the suits covers for some of my Armani gear!!!

The hotel has two restaurants. The Fortuny which is within the main the main hotel building, very much keeping in line with the Orient Express/Ritz style. I enjoyed breakfast here during the five days I stayed at the Cipriani. The "collazione" had absolutely everything you can think of. The waiters were very helpful but it was here were I experience my only negative moments in the hotel: as I was attending a medical conference I was probably one of their first customers having breakfast in the morning when there were very few other guests around. The waiters used to gather together talking extremely loud about the own private affairs. This must be a very common italian type of behaviour as I remember making the same comment on Tripadvisor when I wrote regarding breakfast at the Ritz in London, where all the waiters are Italian. The second negative experience happened again whilst having breakfast when I had a business telephone call to my mobile and the head of waiters approached me pointing to a very small sign in the "breakfast menu booklet" which meant that the use of mobile phones were forbidden in the Fortuny.

The hotel has second restaurant: the Cips. This one is less formal, located in a wonderful place where you can eat outside on a veranda facing the lagoon and Piazza San Marco, absolutely fabulous. I enjoyed two dinners there and the whole experience was fantastic. I am surprised that the Cips does not have one Michelin star.

Another very special place is the bar beside the very beautiful, sea salted water, very large swimming pool. The decor is out of this world and here the waiters were first class. Before going for dinner I used to come here to have a gin & tonic of Hendricks which from the second day my waiter remembered that was my favourite drink at that time of the day.

The concierges were a lovely bunch, easy going, very down to earth and extremely helpful. During my first evening I needed to get a water taxi to meet a very good friend of mine. As we were eventually going to have dinner at the Danielli I was wearing by best Italian designer clothes. I think this fact was picked up by one of the concierges who offered me not to have just a "normal" water taxi" but a very special boat. Ten minutes after his telephone call the most amazing, elegant, best wooden boat I have ever seen in my life, picked me up (this boat was much nicer that the one used by Angelina Jolie in the film "The Tourist").The owner told me it was just one month old and that its price was 300000 euros. The 80 euros I paid for the trip was certainly money well spent for a unique experience. This is the attention to detail that makes the Cipriani such an exceptional place to stay.

I hope one day I will have the opportunity to stay here again.....perhaps next time without my mobile phone !!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business