“WHAT DREAMS ARE MADE OF!”

Belmond Hotel Cipriani
Ranked #30 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Always dreamed of visiting Venice and then had my eye on the Cipriani as a hotel to stay in...so in my quest to visit the most fantastic hotels in the world I went ahead and booked a stay at the Cipriani Hotel for the three of us (long not-so-suffering husband, the bairn and yours truly).

From the moment you arrive you are made top feel welcome and expected, you are greeted by name (and title) and made feel that "nothing is too much".
The bairn was made welcome from the minute we stepped out of the boat and the staff were there to cater for our every whim. She found it easy to get used to being adressed as "signorina P"!

We had a wonderful "garden suite" in the Palazzo Vendramin area that has a private Venetian garden where you can relax and also have meals served if you fancy to do so.
The living room area had the quaintest bureau desk replenished with luxurious Venetian stationery.

We had the most wonderful butler looking after us and my only regret is that I could not bring him home with us! Everytime we left the room the staff would tidy after us and the clothes were organised all the time (bliss...), the bathroom was gorgeous with marble features and the customary Bvlgari toiletries to enjoy.

The swimming pool is delightful and expansive (for the likes of Venice).
In general the hotel is tremendously child friendly despite it's sheer elegance and exclusivity.
The staff are seen to make a point of remembering your drink and food preferneces and that is definitely appreciated.

The Fortuny restaurant has the most amazing view and the food was all of very good quality.
If I had one critical point to mention for improvement I would possibly highlight the desserts and petit fours, as these could maybe be made a little better and appealing.

The boat transport is fantastic and the Giudecca island is a true haven.
Try not to worry about the final bill when visiting this place and enjoy...well worth the visit!

On departure we were told that "they hoped to see us next year"...definitely will do my best to do so!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank CCP1970

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Two months ago whilst attending the Venice Arrhythmias Cardiology conference I had the great pleasure to stay at the Cipriani. The hotel is located in the island of Giudecca, virtually opposite Piazza San Marco and the hotel's private wooden venezian classic boat is the shuttle in between both places. If you are coming from the Marco Polo airport you must take a water taxi, not cheap but certainly the easiest way to get to the hotel....and a necessary arrival in style !!.

I was welcomed by several members of staff. I had a free upgrade straight away to a larger but not huge room as I don't think large rooms exist in any hotels in Venice at least you are wealthy enough to afford on of the suites in the original building at the Danielli). I was introduced to the hotel and shown around by a charming Italian lady who coped very well with my now rusty Italian. The hotel is just the right size and very tranquil, managing to keep away from the buzzling of main Venice.

The room service is impeccable. I have the habit when I travel on my own to throw my clothes on the bed, chairs, etc. Every time I returned to my room all the clothes were either fold or hanging in the wardrobe even inside the suits covers for some of my Armani gear!!!

The hotel has two restaurants. The Fortuny which is within the main the main hotel building, very much keeping in line with the Orient Express/Ritz style. I enjoyed breakfast here during the five days I stayed at the Cipriani. The "collazione" had absolutely everything you can think of. The waiters were very helpful but it was here were I experience my only negative moments in the hotel: as I was attending a medical conference I was probably one of their first customers having breakfast in the morning when there were very few other guests around. The waiters used to gather together talking extremely loud about the own private affairs. This must be a very common italian type of behaviour as I remember making the same comment on Tripadvisor when I wrote regarding breakfast at the Ritz in London, where all the waiters are Italian. The second negative experience happened again whilst having breakfast when I had a business telephone call to my mobile and the head of waiters approached me pointing to a very small sign in the "breakfast menu booklet" which meant that the use of mobile phones were forbidden in the Fortuny.

The hotel has second restaurant: the Cips. This one is less formal, located in a wonderful place where you can eat outside on a veranda facing the lagoon and Piazza San Marco, absolutely fabulous. I enjoyed two dinners there and the whole experience was fantastic. I am surprised that the Cips does not have one Michelin star.

Another very special place is the bar beside the very beautiful, sea salted water, very large swimming pool. The decor is out of this world and here the waiters were first class. Before going for dinner I used to come here to have a gin & tonic of Hendricks which from the second day my waiter remembered that was my favourite drink at that time of the day.

The concierges were a lovely bunch, easy going, very down to earth and extremely helpful. During my first evening I needed to get a water taxi to meet a very good friend of mine. As we were eventually going to have dinner at the Danielli I was wearing by best Italian designer clothes. I think this fact was picked up by one of the concierges who offered me not to have just a "normal" water taxi" but a very special boat. Ten minutes after his telephone call the most amazing, elegant, best wooden boat I have ever seen in my life, picked me up (this boat was much nicer that the one used by Angelina Jolie in the film "The Tourist").The owner told me it was just one month old and that its price was 300000 euros. The 80 euros I paid for the trip was certainly money well spent for a unique experience. This is the attention to detail that makes the Cipriani such an exceptional place to stay.

I hope one day I will have the opportunity to stay here again.....perhaps next time without my mobile phone !!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Armaniexeter
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Superb room with great decor and every facility. Fabulous view over lagoon and large swimming pool. Good light lunch in pool veranda and larger menu in lagoon-side outside restaurant. Very good service and top dinner. The concierge and water taxi manager was most helpful.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roger G
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The attention to customer service in this hotel is truly wonderful, it was the first leg of an Italian multi site holiday {Venice, Capri and Sorrento} we were picked up and along with another couple had our private boat for a ride to the hotel.

The first views of the hotel from water do not disappoint, with every detail there to impress.

Our room was stunning, not overly large but impeccably decorated with a great view, we ate our breakfast in the room every morning on the balcony which was picture perfect.

We had cocktails each night and ate at Cips which was absolutely incredible {make sure you check the dress codes}.

The swimming pool is gorgeous {although it would appear you are part of a guided boat tour!} and views of the city were great from the terrace.

I had a great blow dry in the salon - just make sure you are very clear on what you want.

It is also really exciting to be taken to the main square in the private hotel boat, it adds a really special touch to your stay.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AbigailMaryLouise
Reviewed December 15, 2013

One of the worlds best hotels BUT only if you like calm peace and quiet. We booked a small suite which was "nice" but not special for the circa £800+ a night. The staff especially Roberto as usual make the Hotel the special place it is, with discreet, quiet profession attention to your every need. The heated outdoor pool and bar and pool areas are excellent and the fine dining restaurant is world class. Great spa and grounds with views over to St Marks Square. The private hotel launch, adds that special touch. Champagne, Bellini's and nibbles and two singers were organised on board our gondola trip by the staff with out bother or fuss.

It is worth noting however that this is "old world luxury" and service and not to everyone's taste. The hotel is getting tired and frankly the "extremely high" cost is getting beyond the current standard of their facilities e.g. flaking paintwork on our suite's patio walls and broken tiles on the patio floor. This is not five star+ ( or even 4 star standards)

BUT- This is a fine hotel and we will be back - at a price!

Ron W

Room Tip: All rooms are good and so there is no need to book a site or upgrade room. Its also some distance by...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ronald W
Reviewed November 29, 2013

An exquisite hotel in Venice. A bit difficult to get to because when you arrive in Venice you need a separate water taxi to get there. The rooms are lovely, but it is very expensive. It defines old world European charm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sheryl T
Reviewed November 28, 2013

It started by being picked up at the airport by my private boat for a ride to the hotel.

Check in was painless; in my room in 5 minutes and in bed after a shower, to get ready for cocktails on the terrace.

Swimming pool was huge and views of the city were great from the terrace.

Bedroom was spectacular with super bathroom, shower etc

all in all a great place

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business