“Cipriani was very disapointing- Families not welcome”

Belmond Hotel Cipriani
Ranked #32 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We had spent a month travelling around Europe with a group of 10 family members including our baby. Everywhere else we stayed people went out of there way to make us feel welcome and comfortable but the Cipriani was a very disapointing last stop.

Our group had 4 suits booked together but when we arrived we were told that one of the rooms was in a different building. We said we'd like to be close to my parents and my sister would like the other building. The reception very bluntly said "no" and took us to the far away room.

As we walked we were told the hotel rules, Children are not allowed in the fitness center (as with most hotels,this makes sense for safety but I didn't think we really needed to be told in that way) Children are not allowed in the business center and if my son askes to use the internet he will be told no ( I really doubt my baby would be asking to use the internet) Children are not allowed in one restaurant and are only allowed in the other for dinner between 7:30 and 9 and are only allowed in the pool during certain hours. I felt like we were getting a lecture of all the things children are not allowed to do rather than being told about the services of the hotel.

The room itself had a nice balcony with a private hot tub but it was very dated and dark with stained pink carpet and duct tape holding the tv cabinet together.

At 7;45 we tried to go for dinner but were told that children are not allowed in after 7:30. We tried to order room service but were told he was busy with another room and he'd call us back. He did call back 35 minutes later and when the food came an hour after that it was okay. Since there are not many choices of places to eat without taking a boat we ordered room service 3 times during our stay and every time we had to wait to be called back and 2 out of the 3 times they forgot part of our order.

The low point of our stay was the next afternoon when our group were the only ones in the restaurant and I was discreetly nursing my son. The waited asked if I wanted to "do that inside" I replied no thanks we're fine here and he huffed "I ment for the other guests" What guests? we were the only ones in there. He then proceded to walk around the table opening and handing menus to everyone,but when he got to me he literelly threw it at me. I realize that some people are just not comfortable with nursing in public but I don't think anyone deserves to have a menu thrown at them under any circumstances!

I wish I had complained right there but I was so tired of being treated like we were not welcome there,I was trying not to cry and I still had to feed my hungry baby so my husband, son and I just left.

We were there for 4 days and aside from one friendly housekeeper not one staff member said hello or even smiled at us. The bad service and disorganization contiuned the day were leaving.
We got a call early in the morning saying we needed to check out now or we wouldn't make our flight. We explained that our flight wasn't until 5 and we had been gauranteed a late check out through American Express. At 9 we got another call saying the same thing., we explained again but got yet another call asking what time we would be leaving, we said 1:15 and asked to have help with our luggage.At 1:25 no one had come so we called to see if they were coming and were told they were busy and would be there soon. We needed to catch our transfer to the airport and were heading down the stairs with our luggage ourselves when they did finally show up at around 1:40.

We were so glad to leave! I don't know if we would have been treated differently if my son had not been with us but if a hotel doesn't want kids there they should state that so families can stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
32  Thank travelingmumCanada
There are newer reviews for Belmond Hotel Cipriani

Reviewed August 4, 2008

The only thing I liked there is the location of the hotel. It is just magical to take the hotel boat anytime of the day and drive over to St. Marcs Square.
On the other hand - for the kind of money they're asking, I really expect it to be better. I gave them a "second chance", but I think next time I'm going to look for another place in Venice.
The room wasn't that clean, for example: the toilet was still dirty. The mirrors in the bedroom had clearly visible marks on them and the cleaning personal just discovered this after the second night. We were surprised not to have a hairdryer in the bathroom and were told, it's not part of the usual furnishings of the room.....
The staff might be unintrusive - I would call it arrogant, mostly elderly men are working the reception and the service at dinner.
The younger women are apparently only "allowed" to work the breakfast shift. Breakfast nothing special, I know Italians eat very light at breakfast, but with the clientel being mostly international, one would expect a better selection.
Overall disappointing. During the season the hotel has a good occupancy rate, so they think they don't have to try hard anymore.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
9  Thank RosiS
Reviewed July 14, 2008

The hotel cipriani is beautiful and elegant, The staff are very attentive and the hotel is very clean. The Cips restaurant is below average for the calibre of hotel, food cold, menu not very imaginative, overpriced although again the staff were attentive. The .pool restaurant for lunch was very very expensive, staff were very poor and food not great, The main resturant in the evening however made up for the other two, this was very elegant, staff very attentive, food very good, beautiful table overlooking the lagoon. Overall i would say you have to visit this hotel although it is very overpriced for what you get, we stayed in a one bedroomed suite overlooking the lagoon on the fourth floor, its charm, elegance , and position and breakfasts balance the fact it is very VERY expensive for what you have , the food and service in two of its three restaurants are not great.

3  Thank CheshireDavo
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We were celebrating our anniversary and decided to take the plunge and stay at the Cip and Vendremin. We were greeted warmly by Virglio and shown to the accomadation that we had booked directly with M. Rusconi. True to our arrangements, we were shown to a beautiful junior suite in the Palazetto with a view toward St Marks. All was well as we dined our first night at Fortuny on the terrace - grand meal and fine wine. Upon return to our room my wife entered the bathroom and to her surprise, found that the plumbing above had sprung a leak and that water was pouring out of the ceiling light fixtures. Within perhaps two minutes of advising the front desk of this emergency, and we in our robes and slippers, were whisked to a grand suite in the Palazzo Vendremin with the staff packing our belongings behind us. The next day we were offered the choice of staying in the Palazzo or returning to the Palazetto. We chose the latter. The handling of the event with ablomb and grace was indicative of the level of service and concern that this hotel shows its guests. The remainder of our stay was magical- delightful dinner at Cip's Club with excellent polla ala diavolo, great lunch at Gabbiano by the pool, an excursion for some golf on the Lido, and just the joy of the trips to and from Bassano San Marco on the hotel's launch. We had drinks at the bar one evening to find George Clooney present being showered with gifts from his entourage. But every one of the hotel guests was discreet and never bothered him. This is the place to go and relax- sit by the pool if the mood strikes you, or walk along the canal for some gelato in the afternoon, and the major attractions of Venice are a glorious brief boat ride away. We will return again and again and cannot resist the allure of this place.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Drapeaued
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights to celebrate a special occasion, looked at the other 5 stars i.e Luna Baglione, the Bauers, San Clemente, Danieli, Gritti etc., although the Cipriani is the most expensive decided to check out to find if it lives up to it's reputation-it does!
I just can't understand how it's #94 on Tripadvisor list.
From the moment we boarded the private launch(free at all times-and runs 24 hours a day) from San Marco ~ Guidecca to the moment we left it was absolutely fantastic.
The accommodation standards were extremely high, the suite had a large main bedroom with motorised retractable 40"LCD TV at foot of bed, large sitting room with secondary LCD, and very large bathroom again with LCD TV built into wall of bathroom.
The Pool area is an oasis- a 25 metre saltwater pool for relaxation after a day in Venice, and there's a nice pool bar overlooking the lagoon, the gardens are very typical and there are vines which supply grapes for the local wine.
We dined at Chips club twice, which is a lovely romantic location overlooking the lagoon, food quality is high.
Breakfasts are the best I have had at any hotel!
Highlight are the staff , most of whom have there for many years, they are not at all snooty and treated us very well, a special mention for Corinne, who was very helpfull on arrival, Walter and Ottavio at the pool bar, and all the other staff.
The concierges were extremely helpfull , booked us our Taxi to return to airport(highly recommended), charged no commision for this service whatsoever.
I met other regular and first time customers of the Cipriani, and they all had similar opinions, many of whom commented that this was one of the best hotels in the world.
The Cipriani is an expensive hotel which lives up to and beyond its reputation. I would highly recommend it and will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kryptonic
Reviewed January 2, 2008

As Mark Twain said, it is better to travel than to arrive, and given the reputation of this hotel, arrival was a huge disappointment. We have stayed at top hotels all over the world and have been to Venice 8 times, so we do not have unrealistic expectations, here is a quick summary of what we found.

We booked a Junior suite for the night, which at 1600 euros a night you ought to expect a reasonable standard of accomodation, even in expensive Venice. The hallway to the room was a long dark corridor, done floor to ceiling in sponged peach circa 1980 something, with peach carpet which had that sticky feeling you get from carpets so old no amount of cleaning can remove the gunge. The room was at the back of the hotel, overlooking a patchy muddy lawn and motheaten hedge with a dirty white plastic wedding marquee left standing in it permanently (the garden). The bathroom had the same plastic bath your grandmother has in her bungalow (peach with handles to pull yourself up if your knees are bad), a square box hairdryer which I last saw in a municipal pool in the 1970s, with the squeegy air tube ripped and broken, a vanity mirror with rust stains around the edge and every time I hung the towel up it fell into the toilet below. The toiletries were ancient looking and were probably used last by Agatha Christie to talc her bloomers.

I then asked very firmly but politely to be moved to another room. We were given apologies (eventually) and told that the hotel was "in the process of being refurbished" and shown another room. This was tastefully furnished, had a private terrace on the roof above with a panoramic view of the Grand Canal to die for and a large bathroom, it was just what we thought we should have been given in the first place.

When I booked the room I was told we couldn't request a particular room. When we left I asked if we could have the nice room again and were told that they always try to accomodate repeat customers. So, if its your first and only time, beware, and don't let them fob you off with the stale fag end of the hotel.

On the plus side (!) the staff had a proper old fashioned polite and accomodating at your service ethic, attentive without being intrusive, the pool was pure Hollywood gorgeousness and the breakfast room with ripples of water reflected on the ceiling as you gaze straight out over the canal was magic.

So don't expect faded glory charm, its too tired to even achieve that, but if you can put up with the feeling that Farah Fawcett is likely to come bounding out of the fake white trellis in the wine bar, it does grows on you and I have to say I would stay there again, albeit in the knowledge there are some better rooms than others.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank fioreinglese
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We had a lovely suite in Palazzo Vendramin with a little garden and a kitchen..
Beautiful marble bathroom with all the amenities you could wish for even sun tan lotion and candles!
Out of this world...