“The other side of Venice”
Review of La Giudecca

La Giudecca
Ranked #45 of 800 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The picturesque island of Giudecca is home to the world-famous Hotel Cipriani.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Jump on a Vaporetto and see the Venice of the 21st century. When strolling around in the "old" Venice, one feels like walking among sets of a theater play and more often than not have the impression of being in hallow city. It isn't easy to have an insight into what real life in Vencie can be like.
La Giudecca gives this opportunity: only a short vaporetto ride away - not accessible across a bridge - and one finds itself in a part of town one would call "the suburbs" should it not be in Venice, and the best view over to the Place of San Marco. Long quais, old warehouses turned into appartment houses, shops and spacious streets (in venetian standards) await those who take the ride and their chances to see the other side of Venice.
Elton John's house is one of the famous residents of the place - and after asking about his house "Where is Elton John's house?" and getting only the answer of "There is no Hilton here." - one understands why.

7  Thank MissApplebreaker

Reviewed March 3, 2014

The best part of my Venice trip! Authentic, old factory island with many architectural wonders/great projects, beautiful streets to see. Very calm and not touristy but exciting in terms of all the quirks and beautiful scenes you will find.

4  Thank isabelob113
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Firstly, I love Venice. It's like no other city I've ever visited and absolutely the best place to get lost in. While you're lost you'll find fascinating places to see and learn about and you can do so, safe in the knowledge that if you keep moving forward, your eventually going to reach another canal and can jump on a vaporetta that will take you to where you want to be.

All of that said, it's a really busy place and the area round Piazza San Marco is especially busy, so what could be better than to view the mayhem from a place of total tranquility with an unobstructed view that's less than half a mile away - Giudecca.

I spent two nights there in 2012, before and after a cruise. My wife and I stayed in a wonderful hotel, the Bauer Palladio and had a meal in a restaurant that isn't even listed on Tripadvisor, called, Mistrà di Zucchetta Roberta.

The food was authentic and delicious, the service in particular from the manager - a guy from Genoa (and a big Sampdoria supporter!) couldn't do enough for us. Be warned, they couldn't take card payments, so I had to jump on a vaporetta to get to a cashpoint to pay for our food, but when I returned it was to find that my wife had been compensated with a couple of glasses of wine while she waited for me. I loved our time there and would recommend it to anyone planning a visit to Venice.

13  Thank Stephen C
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here for a week and really enjoyed it. It was like we were living in an Italian neighbourhood away from the maddening crowds in Central Venice. It was easy to get back and forth on the boats and the island had everything we needed. Before the week was out we were recognized by the locals when we went into the little shops and bars. If I came back to Venice I would definitely stay here again.

6  Thank darmstro56
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights after a cruise and found it to be quiet and easy to get around. Plenty of eating establishments and lovely views across to St Marks and the waterfront.

4  Thank didajolu