New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #60 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Philadelphia
“Lousy Hotel, Way Overpriced, Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Not sure how some people could have had the "most marvelous experience ever" at this palce, unless perhaps they were paying 1200 euros a night and the staff treated them accordingly - and are being asked to write favorable reveiws by management.

If that's the case, fine, I understand - but believe me when I tell you, this is a terribly run, and run down hotel.

Check-in is horrible - rooms don't get cleaned until 4 pm - few exceptions, so if the place was somehat full the night before, you can guarantee yourself that you won't get inside a room until after 4 pm. Venice is an expensive place - everyone knows, but simple cocktails at the bar are 18 to 22 euros - about $25 to $30 - and the service is lousy - bartender stands therepoliching stemware pretending not to see you sitting at the bar just 5 feet away.

Worn carpets, and not the greatest of locations - blocks from the action of the canal - crawling with tourists - can't even move outside - and many of them come in to see the lobby - dozens and dozens coming in taking pictures walking around - far from a relaxing vibe - more like a hotel lobby at Disney.

We were there for 3 nights during which time we stumbled accross similarly-priced places (i recognized them from when i was planning the trip) and had cocktails in their lounges - and could tell immediately that service, oppulence, cleanliness and maintenance were all superior to this place.

For half the price, you could look past some of this stuff and think of it like a grand and old faded dame - which could have it's own quirky charm - but not at these prices, which are some of the highest on the island.

Room Tip: Any room at another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank TravellingMen
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear TravellingMen,
Thank you for posting your TripAdivsor review following your recent stay at the Hotel Danieli.
First and foremost we are truly sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the property and very much welcome your feedback. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the hotel.
I have addressed your comments with the relevant departmental managers to ensure that our service is delivered in a timely manner and information provided is accurate. I would be delighted to speak with you personally should there be anything I can help with.
Kind regards
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed last weekend at the danieli in a luxury lagoon view room in the excelsior wing. Having fond memories of a stay at the danieli as a child 30 years go, and happy to pay for an elegant venetian experience, I was truly shocked to see the room we were given - dark, dirty, electric socket hanging from the wall (which my 2 year old son saw straight away and tried to fix himself) within a 70s/80s style tower block with zero charm. The view is spectacular, albeit through windows which are chest high, so all my son could see was a black wall. All this for €800+ is truly shocking. I re-read the reviews on trip adviser and quite a few people have made very similar observations (although crowded out by suspiciously hyper positive comments), I wish I had spent time considering these, it makes more sense now in hindsight. But I place responsibilty and blame squarely on the reservations team who had ample opportunity to explain the different rooms, knew it was a special trip, knew i was flexiblenon price, knew i am SPG, knew I had family with me but dumped me in a very disappointing room. I travel a lot, too much, and know the only way to react to this is (1) vote with my feet - you can have my SPG card back - and (2) request through trip advisor for either customers to beware, or hotel management be more human and recognise that misleading customers only ever has a sad ending, for all involved.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank rem2020
Dear rlkr,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at the Hotel Danieli. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for your disappointing experience, I am terribly sorry that you seem to have had a frustrating and disappointing time with us, which is certainly not indicative of the experience we strive to create for our guests.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly with any further details as I would like to follow these matters up with my teams; it certainly seems that we did not live up to the standards we strive to produce on this occasion.
Kind regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Like another recent reviewer, I have been meaning to write this for a long time and have just gotten around to it. The Danieli is like no other place i have ever stayed. While I don't always travel first class, I have stayed at my share of luxury hotels over the years. The Danieli is the finest hotel by far that I have enjoyed.

Stunning lobby, suite with a magnificent view, and cigars in the lobby bar - what more can one ask for. The service is outstanding. What ever we needed, they made happen. I could go on, but suffice it to say that my next trip to Venice will include the Danieli.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrichardson122
Dear jrichardson122,
Thank you for choosing to stay and the Hotel Danieli and for taking the time to post your favourable review on trip advisor.
St. Moritz, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Outstanding hotel lobby in an old Venetian palace.
Also great rooms with a good view. Well worth a visit and a few days stay.
Great to arrive by water-taxi from the airport direct to the hotel!
Very good location just next to San Marco's square.
Few hotels in the world can match the atmosphere of the Danieli!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank peter778899
Dear skierMilano,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your experience. This is truly appreciated.
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have been meaning to write a review for this hotel for so long, but have only just found the time.
I have stayed here numerous times. Birthdays, Xmas, during the high waters and in the middle of summer. And I can honestly say it has never let me down and I refuse to stay anywhere else in the city.
The location doesn't get any better than this folks. All your main tourist attractions are right on the doorstep.
It is so beautiful it literally takes your breath away. I have taken a lot of friends here, not just because of the amazing interior, but because the staff are warm and friendly and the bar,along with its staff (Alessandro especially!) is a fun place to be on a Saturday night. It's a great pre-dinner meeting place and the Bellinis are a must. And there's always a pianist there which I think creates a nice ambience at the beginning of the night! I have recently celebrated my 40th birthday in Venice with my beloved and a group of friends. In fact when he asked me what I wanted as a birthday present, I asked for 5 nights in this place and I'm so glad I did. We had a corner room in the old palazzo of the hotel which over looks St Marks Basin. The view from the window never fails to amaze. The room was huge and decorated in traditional Venetian decor. It had a separate dressing room and fabulous bathroom with everything you could wish for.
There was a chilled bottle of sparkling wine and home made macaroons in our room on arrival, which is always welcome after a flight.
On our first night we walked in to St Marks for cocktails at Florians then when my friends flew in from the U.K we took them up to the terrace restaurant in the Danieli ,luckily it was warm enough to sit outside. Us ladies were even offered a wrap for our shoulders should we get chilly. Which I thought was a very generous touch. Both food and wine were exquisite and the view is just incredible. The staff were both helpful,kind and attentive. Never failed with the refills on the wine front. And the different courses were bought out in a timely manner, giving just the right amount of time between courses. Overall our dining experience was sheer perfection. It wasn't cheap by any means, but this is a luxury hotel with a view to die for. And you get what you pay for.
For all you men out there, this would be a great location for popping the big question, the view alone will secure the deal for you.
I'm always sad to leave this hotel, I've had so many fun times here and so many great memories. And I will always return. Thank you Danieli, you are fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Old palazzo. You won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Fiona B,
We would like to thank you for your valuable, constructive and detailed report. Together with all the Trip Advisor visitors, we have read with great interest your evaluation and we welcome your encouraging comments as they represent a vital instrument in our daily commitment to create memorable experiences for our Guests. We hope to welcome you back in the future, with best regards,
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Had booked a deluxe room and was upgraded on arrival to a luxury room with lagoon views over San Giorgio Maggiore which was breathtaking. It really was luxury and it ay not sound much but they have the most comfortable pillows ensuring a good sleep. The staff are polite and helpful and reflect the hotel standard. The cocktails in bar dandolo are very very pricy and also very potent! A perfect stay and is definitely to be recommended

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear maggit,
We were thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is always wonderful to hear that our associates provide a high stand of service to our guest as they are a great asset to the Hotel. We have shared your kind reviewed with all the associates.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

3 Buildings awkedly connected very close to St Marks square. The Center Building is a Classic old Palace with a beautiful lobby (often crowded with Tour Groups). Most rooms lack views but are well decorated and quite comfortable. Hotel lacks a gym. Prices for Rooms and Bar/Restaurant are shocking, even for high priced Venice. Service varies from friendly and helpful to disinterested. Front desk team are excellent although often overwhelmed by check ins and outs. Concerciege staff is a bit jaded and often above it all, but when in the mood can be helpful. Other Venice Hotel choices at this price are better picks but if you have points to spend this is a decent way to spend them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Grand canal (if you can snag one) are a best choice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Howard M,
Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us at the Hotel Danieli..
May I offer my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with your recent experience with staff attitude. We always strive to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable time at the Hotel and I was of course very disappointed to see that we did not completely meet your expectations on this occasion. Once more, I am truly sorry for any shortcomings that may have occurred and I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from choosing Hotel Danieli or Starwood Hotels for your next visit to Venice. Best regards