“Great location but worth the price?”

Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #58 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Newark, New Jersey
“Great location but worth the price?”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights this September expecting to be wowed by everything at the Danieli but we were not. I had prearranged with the hotel to be picked up for their private water taxi and after we picked up our luggage we couldn't find their representative. After 20 minutes we called the hotel who told us they were waiting for us. It turned out that their guy was holding up 5 different names at a time so unless you exited luggage claim at the right moment, you didn't see him or your name. After that our water taxi ride was terrific n we arrived quickly at the hotel only to wait in line for 20 minutes to check in!! Never in my life have I waited to check in at 5 star hotel. Than we were also told that the rooftop bar and restaurant would be closed all weekend for a wedding during our stay. We had a package that included breakfast and 75$ euro credit for dinner. We were pissed so the staffer told us she would talk to the manager. She did come thru n gave us brunch and afternoon tea so that part was good. Our room was quiet and had an updated bathroom but as this is a city, for 870 euros per night, the room was tiny. So be warned of not just the prices but make sure you stay in the excelsior updated building as the Danieli is 3 separate yet connected palazzos. The terrace breakfast buffet was very good and do get an Amex package so it will be included. And finally, the location is terrific, just know it is pricey.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear suzeyes,
May I offer my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with your recent experience at our property and I welcomed your feedback. We endeavor to ensure that every guest has an enjoyable and pleasant time at the Hotel. I was concerned to read that you experienced a delay at check in for which I apologize.
I do also apologize that the room you occupied failed to meet your expectations. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the hotel.
I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Best regards,
Christophe Mercier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Essex
Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Danieli has a reputation of almost legendary status. The current reality is a once lavish hotel that is becoming tired, tatty and living on past status. The room was lovely if tired and dated, with a great view out across the lagoon. Service was mixed; mostly impersonal and curt, at times bordering on rude, certainly often languid. They seem to focus more on weddings and conferences these days so on the Friday night we were unable to use the famous Terraza Danieli (the only restaurant in the hotel) as it was full of wedding guests and on the saturday it was simply "Closed for a private event". By contrast, on the saturday evening we went to the Cipriani for dinner and it ws magnificent. The food was sublime and service was outstanding. A cut above the Danieli I'm afraid. There were many good things about the Danieli (breakfast was very good) but nothing outstanding and when you are paying almost a thousand euros a night you do expect the very best i'm afraid, even in Venice!

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room with lagoon view. It's expensive but anything else just isn't worth st...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony150357,
Firstly we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hotel Danieli in Venice. We welcome every feedback, both positive and negative, as this is the best way to evaluate and so to improve the level of our product and service. We share your disappointment for the reported maintenance status and inadequate room attendance. It is clear that in occasion of your visit there has been a lack of attention and supervision which is not representative of our usual level of hospitality. Please rest assured that your comments will not go unheard. Wehope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back and so you are able to see the improvements that have been made.
Kind regards,
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I really hate writing a poor review .. I find it very negative and it just goes against what I believe in. The old adage of " if you cant say something nice , then don't say anything at all " . However , I have come to rely on the honest assessments of the contributors of this web site and I feel compelled to return the favor .. My Fiancé and I spent a few disappointing days at the Danieli . It was supposed to be part of a very romantic trip to remember .. Unfortunately , the hotel did not live up to it't hype .. NOT even close .. At 800 euro's per night I really expected something special. I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world and this is NOT 5 star .. The foyer is beautiful , the location is great , but the staff ( who treat you like they are doing you a huge favor just serving you ) do nothing to make up for the very outdated , shabby , unkept and just old rooms . We were even given a terse mouthful from a housekeeper because we were not ready for her to clean our room .. so she didn't even clean it .. When we came back from sightseeing for the day our room was still not cleaned . When I called the front desk , they simply said that she had gone home for the day ... So you get the picture ... I really don't want to complain anymore about it .. I just want to make sure that others don't make my mistake .. Do as we did ( after putting up with the Danieli for 3 days ) and go to the Lassidi Palace .. The staff are great and it is half the price with 10 times the value ... Again I apologize for my negative review .

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kevin C
Dear Kevin C,
Although we may not enjoy a negative feedback, we thank you for sharing your experience at the Hotel Danieli. We have taken your concerns very seriously and we are taking every possible measure at an operational level to prevent the issues you reported to happen again in the future. Your comments are invaluable in helping us create the ideal customer service experience for the future and we hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you that your experience has been an exception to a rule of dedicated and bespoke service.
best regards.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

My husband wants to surprise me, so we had lunch today at Danieli's Terrace. If in one hand the view is great in the other hand hotel needs some upgrade. Food was not expecional as I supposed neither the service so I left a little disappointed...

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ticha34
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Ticha34,
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy the culinary experience of the Terrazza Restaurant and we will certainly share your comments with the executive chef and his team; Please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you and we do hope to have an opportunity to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
With best regards,
Westchester, NY
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My family and I were extremely excited about staying at the Danieli after hearing such positive reviews from friends and Tripadvisor members, unfortunately we were very disappointed.
The location extremely convenient (the water bus stops right in front, and there is a side entrance for water taxis) and walkable to everywhere, however the hotel itself I would compare to a once beautiful woman for whom the years have not been kind. The floors slope, the elevator is both slow and jerky, the glass skylight is covered with netting so as not to fall on guests and staff....and the rooms are in desperate need of remodeling. The bathrooms are small and old, and the electrical outlets didn't work very well. It's not that the hotel was dirty (it was very clean), it's just that it is old and in truly desperate need of a makeover.
On the bright side, the concierge was helpful and knowledgeable, and the rooftop lounge was the perfect place for a late afternoon cocktail.
I want you to know I am generally a gentle reviewer, and am usually happy wherever I go, it's just that we had such high hopes. If what I described doesn't bother you, by all means stay at this old grand dame.

Room Tip: If there are any renovated rooms request them as firmly as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear frequenttraveler9724,
I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the perfect location of the Hotel in the Heart of Venice, indeed for travelling around Venice with ease and visiting most of its major attractions and sights. My sincere apologies that you were dissatisfied with your recent experience at the property and I very much welcome your feedback. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the Hotel.
I have addressed the issues raised with the relevant departmental head to ensure our guests receive a high standard of service at all times as customer service is our highest priority.
Once more, I am sorry and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to The Hotel Danieli when you are next in Venice. Best regards,
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We hav just spent a wee-end at the Danieli and have been utterly disappointed. The service is really very mediocre, apart from the reception. The level of the rooms facilities is disgracious given the price and fame of the Hotel. It ought to be entirely refurbished.

Room Tip: Ask for the old building and make sure you receive a written confirmation and be very particular on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jean-michel a
Dear jean-michel a,
I was surprised and disappointed to read of your negative experience during your stay at the Hotel Danieli. Your experience does not align with the high standard of service we strive to deliver to all our guests and for this I sincerely apologise. I do hope you will not be deterred in staying with us again when you next visit Venice and I would invite you to contact me directly so I can personally ensure a seamless experience.
Kind regads,
melbourne
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Hire a private speedboat from the carpark and race to the hotel's dock - you can't beat it for a classy experience. Make sure you hand the hotel staff your camera so they can get a pic of you disembarking. The building kind of leans but the history here is palpable. We had two spacious adjoining rooms for the three children and ourselves, the hotel staff were kind and caring (if a bit remote). One advantage of staying here is that if you get lost all the locals know where your hotel is. There was no downside at all apart from .....
I think we are quite well off but the cost of the rooftop meal appalled me. Ditto the cost of breakfast in one of the cafes surrounding the square (nothing to do with the hotel). We had a few juices and not much more and it was more than $100. The prices were there on the menu but who looks at prices. SERIOUSLY .. look at the prices when buying food in this town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ExecutiveOffice72, Manager at Hotel Danieli, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear cbz_9,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on what appears to have been a very enjoyable stay for you.Hope to welcome you again at the Hotel Danieli.
Best regards,