“A very nice way to spend a couple of hours”
Review of Caffe Lavena

Caffe Lavena
Ranked #41 of 84 Dessert in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A very nice way to spend a couple of hours”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

It makes me laugh when I read other reviews shouting out things like "rip off" and "tourist trap". Nobody is making you eat and drink there. If you don't like the prices then move along.

We had had a long day walking around Venice and went to St. marks Square at about 7pm. We had eaten late so didn't want dinner yet. We knew that the prices would be high because of the location, we were told straight away about the music charge and we looked at the wine list and saw the various prices. We ordered a bottle of red and enjoyed a leisurely hour people watching and listening to the music. The waiters were attentive and very polite and it was nice to just chill out. And then we had a second bottle and spent another hour here. We were brought crisps and snacks throughout and the bill including music charge came to €90. Yes it's more expensive than some restaurants located down an alley way but you are paying for the ambience, the views and yes the music. We were happy to do that and we had a great evening.

2 Thank IAS_12

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Malicious intent to trap tourist”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went to this Lavena since it locates in a very good location.

However, before we ordered anything, we have already been charged for 6 euro for music.

Then I asked the waiter whether Wi-Fi is provided, he answered Yes. Then I ordered a cup of cappuccino which costs 9 euro. When the cappuccino arrives, it tastes worse than the one I made at home.

When me and friend asked for the check, the waiter came and said the check doesn't include tips. My usual practice is to leave tips to waiter. So I put down 3 Euro and ready to leave.

He stopped me and said, "Mister there is a minimum requirement for 10% tip, the bill doesn't include the tip." I asked him where does the requirement come from, from law or from restaurant? As I have not be required to pay 10% tip in my whole Italy trip. He kept repeating 10% tips is required

I said if there is such requirement, why it is not included in the menu? I told him this is the first time I have heard of such requirement and I told him all charges should be included in the bill.

He then said if you don't want to pay, you can leave.

He is just to greedy and to make up the requirement. I have double checked and there is No SUCH REQUIREMENT IN ITALY. the service charge is included in the bill and tips could be given based on customer 's discretion.   Beware of this restaurant and the waiters.

20 Thank carlcarlcarlton
Sydney
“What a rip off”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were here in June and ordered 2 small orange juices, 2 coffees and a sandwich and it cost 52 euros.Then the waiter wanted a tip.I offered 2 euros and that was not enough. He wasn't happy until he got 4 euros. He was rude and obnoxious.I warn anyone to eat here. It wasn't even very nice.

8 Thank Xena100bc
Hong Kong, China
“Requested for a min 10% tip on top of service charge”
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

So we were in St Mark Square and were lured in to sit at this cafe by its orchestra and the view.

As if the 6 euros per person for the music was not enough, other premiums we willingly subject ourselves to include 8 euros for a small cup of coffee and 16 euros for a cocktail-like drink. All were well till that point and we were prepared to happily pay for the 60 euros bill for the four drinks we ordered in total.

Then, as we asked for the bill,
the waiter placed the bill on the table and declared "Tip is not included in the bill". He even brought us the menu that stated "tax and service included" and told us TIP is not. So my friend took the hint and put a few euros on the table, and the waiter simply pointed the amount and said "NOT ENOUGH, 10% minimum".

Although he immediately backed out once we argued and told us we had never been required to pay a mandatory 10% tip on top of service charge in all the restaurants we ate in Italy, but his attempt was malicious enough. We would have paid as told if we didn't know any better.

So beware! Check your bill and be firm if you insist on going to this place.

7 Thank malimalihom
Bendigo, Australia
“Lavena rates well against Florian”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This cafe rates well against Florian and we enjoyed our food there as well as the coffee. No orchestra like Florian but the climate was relaxing. Served quickly and reminded us of Angelina's in Paris with its settings.

Visited June 2013