“Full of tourists!”

Ranked #3 of 739 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Blending the architectural styles of East and West, Venice's magnificent basilica was consecrated in 832 AD as an ecclesiastical building to house the remains of St. Mark.
mumbai
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 396 helpful votes
“Full of tourists!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The best season to visit is august! It is full of tourists & very lively. It is the most famous of the city's churches & most visited. I booked the entry online a month in advance to save myself from the long queue. And like I imagined, there was a crowd of over 300 people waiting in the line & I like a VVIP passed across without standing in the queue. Everyone wondered why I was given a special treatment but I guess everyone can be a little smart & do the same!
There are a dozen of beautiful side restaurants on the street with various Italian & Continental options but I think in order to taste the authentic Italian food, one needs to go away from the main touristic areas & experiment.

Visited August 2012

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“must see”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

a bit gloomy inside and had to pay extra for the gold display and to go on to the loggia, but the latter is worth it for the view over piazza san marco

Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Just beautiful”
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This really is a work of art! I was amazed at the mosaics and the wonderful architechture of this place. Even though it was crowded, we still had a great time walking around and seeing the beauty of this basilllica.

Doha, Qatar
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“A very beautiful experience”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were almost going to skip going inside teh Saint Mark's Basilica if not for the desire to be inside and rest from the cold. Luckily we didn't! We were awed with the artifacts in the Basilica. Our nerves could feel the serenity of the place- very peaceful place to be - feels like we were actually reading the scriptures in the Bible.

And the view of Venice from the Basilica is really gorgeous.

We were asked to checked in our back pack - but we didn't as our friend stayed behind to watch those for us - not sure about the safety of leaving our back packs behind.

A definitely must visit when in Venice.

Visited March 2013
De Pere, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Another Italian Masterpiece”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I truly believe that the "aww" you feel when stepping into Saint Mark's Basilica is comparable to the first time you hold your new baby. It is a work of God....carried out by my talented Italians, but truly a work of God. I felt as though I was part of History, part of something much Greater on this Earth. Just standing in the middle of St.Mark's was breathtaking. I can't describe it anymore, but the moment you step into it, you will understand my aww.

Also, go back and visit it at night when it is lit up. Your breath will be taken away for a second time!

Visited April 2013