“Great experience ...”

Row Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Learn to row like a Venetian-standing, facing forward, just like the gondoliers-in a beautiful, traditional Venetian all-wood gondolina batella coda di gambero. See Venice from a unique, authentic perspective in this unique outing: you can't row Venice if you haven't rowed Venice.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful experience ,boat tour in venice.we went to Murano and it was just half n hr way by boat.also went to St marco square,lido etc.The boat tour for different destinations was fantastic...will visit venice again n again n again..

1  Thank Sonali1981
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)
All reviews
"learn how"
in 42 reviews
"non profit"
in 18 reviews
"highly recommend this activity"
in 13 reviews
in 26 reviews
"venetian style"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Jane at Row Venice was easy to get in touch with via email and I set up our day out for our family with kids 12 and 10. When they tell you to have a working cell phone available they mean business because the meeting point is on the northeast end of the island and not straightforward to find (it's easy enough to get lost in Venice!). After several phone calls we were able to locate them. If you get a data plan, using a maps app would have helped greatly. On the plus side it was a good opportunity to see a more residential area of Venice we might not have seen otherwise! I forget the name of our instructor but she was a very pleasant young lady who was a Venetian native. She gave us a quick instructional before we set out down the quiet canal. She said we were just going to row down and up the canal because it was too windy to go out into the open sea which was fine by us. The boat they use is a batele, not a gondola. The batele is actually more rare and has a wider base so it's easier to row than a gondola. We all took turns rowing and once you get the technique down it's pretty straightforward. She steered the boat from the back which was a good thing because every once in awhile you had oncoming traffic.

This was a good time overall and certainly a great alternative to paying for a gondola ride if you have kids. The canal we rowed down was nice and quiet but not terribly scenic relative to other areas of the city. It is neat to row a boat down a canal in Venice, however, so we're glad we did it.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I took my three boys , ages 9-12-15, on this unique adventure. It was so much better than the typical gondola rides that I have taken in the past. Our guide, Jane, was wonderful and very patient with my three boys. They all said it was harder than they expected, but they were all smiles the entire time. By the end, the boys looked like they had been rowing their entire lives. We went out into the lagoon for practice and then it was through the canals to explore Venice. I know this is an experience they will never forget. I would definitely recommend it to everyone wanting a fun venetian experience.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Row Venice was a fun and unique experience, one of the most memorable of our trip. Our instructor, Anna, possessed all the patience you would expect of a middle school teacher. It took a while to get the hang of it, but by the end my daughter and I were both rowing fairly efficiently. We spent most of the time in the small canals, which were charming and picturesque but had quite a bit of traffic and obstacles. We briefly rowed in the lagoon, but it happened to be really choppy that day.

Love the experience! Loved Anna! I would highly recommend this hands-on experience!

1  Thank Krista T