“Awesome adventure”

Row Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Learn to row like a Venetian-standing, facing forward, just like the gondoliers-in a beautiful, traditional Venetian all-wood gondolina batella coda di gambero. See Venice from a unique, authentic perspective in this unique outing: you can't row Venice if you haven't rowed Venice.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Thirteen days in Italy, and the one afternoon with Row Venice was without a question, the highlight for the five of us. Knowledge, patience and good old fashioned fun. We will
never forget this adventure and so much appreciate all of Nan's guidence. If you get there,
do it.

1  Thank nbjax44
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)
All reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 68 reviews
"non profit"
in 13 reviews
"highly recommend this activity"
"unique experience"
in 27 reviews
"open water"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Admittedly, there is no way that in two hours one can learn to really row a gondola. But the whole point of this excellent initiative is to get an insight into what gondola rowing is all about. Our teacher Nancy was both patient and helpful, and we had a good discussion about politics in Italy and the world in general. I loved the outing, the children reckoned it was the best part of our visit to Venice. After this we did take the usual touristy gondola trip, but at least we appreciated the who experience much more , having seen how difficult it is to navigate narrow canals and avoid big motor boats. Well done! Well worth both the time and the money.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were 2 couples in our early 60's travelling on a Mediterranean cruise and having visited Venice before were looking for something new. This turned out to be perfect. Jane is wonderful and was very patient teaching 4 old people the techniques of rowing. It was so fun and one of the highlights of our cruise. Highly recommend!

Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I read the reviews and the two negative ones don't give justice. This is not a tour of the canals but an intro into the history of the venice boat culture and real hands on experiences of how to work a boat. Don't book this if you think you'll be touring through canals, rather not waste your or their time. This also is a physical activity to actually learn how the technics of rowing work. The boat is not like the touristy ones in aspect of appearance but in reality of how they operate it is and that is what you are paying for, the ability to actually try, learn and row one! Our experience was great, Jane the leader was terrific and spent lots if time teaching each of us the proper ways. Also she spent extra time telling us about Venice through her eyes which gave us a much better perspective about the local culture and habits. Highly recommended for those that are willing to learn, work a bit and enjoy something a bit different than the norm city tour experiences. If you think this is a tour via canals from those tv movies you will be disappointed so that is why I felt obliged to clarify it here in this review. Happy rowing and again recommended for people who like off the beaten path type experiences!

See more reviews
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I booked this 2 hour rowing lesson 6 months in advance. I confirmed by email the day before, I did not get a response. I traveled across Canada and arrived into Venice for the first time ever the day before, so I was not familiar with the streets. I arrived 15 min's late, but I waited nonetheless for another 20 min's before I felt this wasn't going to happen. I phoned the number twice but didn't get a response. I received an email in the afternoon saying there was a discrepancy in the rowers watch and mine by 5 min's; whereby the rower who was going to take me out didn't think I was coming and gave my time to a 'honeymoon couple' who wanted it... so this great adventure that I was really looking forward to didn't happen. The one star is for the apology sent along in an email. Overall, I was and still am very disappointed in how this transpired into absolutely nothing.

2  Thank wildflowers94