“Delicious food in an attractive, peaceful setting. Highly recommended!”
Review of Le Balthazar - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Le Balthazar
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in an attractive, peaceful setting. Highly recommended!”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

My husband and I ate here two nights running in September as it was the best food we had found in our trip to Venice. We are not Jewish and you certainly don't have to be to enjoy eating here. The portions are generous and attractively presented and it was all very tasty. We were given complimentary bruschetta and the best focaccia bread I have ever had. On our second night I asked for the pears in chocolate for my dessert. The chef said he didn't have any but could offer me homemade chocolate cake. When it came it was beautifully presented and with two portions enough for both of us even though my husband hadn't asked for a dessert. The chef told me he had found a pear so had added slices to the plate as a finishing touch. It was all really delicious. On asking for the bill we were given glasses of dessert wine which were later topped up. It is touches like these that turn a good meal into a memorable one and a good restaurant into a fantastic one.

One of the other reviewers said the service was slow. Yes it was very slow at times but the staff are so charming you don't really mind. And they try hard to make it up to you. The setting in a courtyard is attractive (they have an indoor restaurant too). The only thing we felt was lacking was more customers which would have added to the atmosphere.

The location in the heart of the Ghetto area in Cannaregio is a wonderfully peaceful contrast to the more touristy parts of Venice. It gives you an idea of the real Venice that the locals see. It is also interesting for its history.

We highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to coming back one day.

6 Thank trinainuk

New York, NY
“Wonderful and elegant kosher food”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Ate here in August with my 12 year old daughter. Beautiful outdoor seating in a courtyard. The food was just wonderful and would highly recommend it! The staff however, was extremely slow! Great food whether you keep kosher or not. Right in the heart of the Venice Ghetto.

2 Thank anabana