A Venice Emeralds
Ranked #384 of 476 Venice B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Upon arriving in Venice we were dropped by a water taxi about 2 blocks from the hotel, we carried our luggage across the pebbled streets and over stairs to arrive at the Hotel. We met the proprietor Giuseppe in the alley, he didn't ask for our reservation, but started telling us which rooms he had available, I wasn't sure if we were getting the rooms we booked so I inquired if the rooms would still have private baths. The proprietor became enraged and began yelling at me ( we still had not been invited to the reception area, but were still in the alley) I said nothing as I was a little in shock, he continued yelling and telling me I should sleep on the streets again I said nothing, but knew I would have to find another hotel. It was very difficult as it was a holiday weekend, I was with a party of 6, my friends decided to stay there. The proprietor told them he would not charge for my room, but of course he did and charged for 2 nights rather than the one. When they checked out he told them he only accepted cash even though we were told in advance that he accepted all major credit cards. Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank fanantigua

Reviewed April 11, 2012

My sister and I has just spend 3 nights at "A Venice Emeralds". I booked our room directly via the website and thereby was able to get a room with a double plus single bed for the same price as a normal double room. The communication with Giuseppe was fast and I had confirmation within 12 hours from my first mail. We where welcomed and shown to our room by Giuseppe, which was very polite, had a sence of humor and a person, where you can feel that he takes pride in his B&B, but also to make his guests feel welcome. The room waesn't big, but still had room for the beds, seating and a closet, and for a B&B we think it was quite ok. The room and bathroom was very clean, and was kept this way during our entire stay. There was cleaning and fresh towels daily - there was even shampoo and soap - which sometimes is not even the case in hotels.
Every morning there was fresh croissants, and a large selection of bread and biscuits, cheese, jam, chocolate spread, yoghurt and fresh fruit - and also fresh made coffee of your choice made by Giuseppe. As a guest it has to be remembered that this is a B&B and not a hotel, therefore you have to respect the hours where you can get in touch with the owner - if you want 24 hour service then choose a hotel instead. I've read some of the other reviews, and it seems that some think they can get this kind of service at a B&B. Giuseppe really tries to help and give you top service all the way - but as a guest you also have to respect that he cannot be available at all times. Giuseppe is Italian with a Big I, and he will help you if he can and make you feel comfortable, but I have no doubt, that if you push him too far - he will push you back! We had top service and Giuseppe was really helpfull, by informing us about restaurants and where to go.

Some tips for Venice:
If you have a smartphone with navigation, then buy a sim-card with data access - then you never really get lost in Venice, even though that's part of the experience. I bought a sim-card from TIM for 20€, which included 15 € text and speak and 30 days of free data/internet traffic.
Murano island is in my opinion only worth a visit if you're a big lover of glass and glass-making.
Burano island is worth a visit if you would like to get away from the hustle and bustle of Venice, and also enjoy the very picturesque houses and canals.
If you plan to use the Vaparetto more than 3 times a day, then buy a tourist travel pass. 12 hours free travel cost 16€, 24 hours cost 18€, a single ticket for the Vaparetto cost 6,5€.

Room Tip: Book directly via mail at the A Venice Emeralds website instead of using other booking companys/sear...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank freqtravAarhus
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My fiance & I have just returned home from a 3 night stay in Venice. Our stay was only made better by this wonderful charming B&B and its owner. From the very beginning Pepe was friendly and more than helpful, pointing out places to go & eat where we would get value for money and not be ripped off. The location is about 10 minute walk from the main square, which is perfect.
The room was big & very comfortable, and perfectly clean. Breakfast was plentiful and filling, with fresh bread & croissants every day, along with fresh meats, fruits plus hot & cold drinks.
Whilst there my partner had plans to propose, which he told Pepe about, Pepe then helped arrange a Gondola ride of specific places around the city to add romance! Nothing is too much for this host.
On our final day we had to leave at 8am, which would mean we had to miss breakfast, but Pepe made breakfast early for us and it was waiting as we left our room.
This is a lovely place, and if we ever go back to Venice this would be a first choice. Pepe is a wonderful host and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with your own bathroom, some others have to share as the rooms are typical venetian a...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kelly C
Reviewed November 4, 2011

the rooms are definitely NOT how they are shown in the pictures. they are very small and not done so well..old cupboard and table chairs etc and not so convenient as its two floors up with NO lift though the owner did help us to carry the bags up. the bathrooms are just about functional and one can just about manage.the place is difficult to find in the maze of Venice...but that's how Venice is!!!
the owner was very helpful in giving us a map and pointing sights and giving us tips to avoid being fleeced!! the breakfast was excellent with FRESH croissants and juices coffee etc. very lavish and generous. I feel we could have got nicer rooms at a better price than what we paid.
Its 10-15 mins easy walking to the square so that's an advantage.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mehtas_mumbai
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay, (14/10/11 to 16/10/11) at this B&B and had an excellent time there. The friendly owner, Guiseppe, made our stay outstanding. From checking in to checking out he couldn't do enough to help us. The room was clean and superb with an excellent comfortable bed with fresh linen, fridge, hairdryer and complimentary water The breakfast was very substantial with an excellent choice of fruit, yoghurt, coffee, bread, cheese etc more than enough to set you up for the day round Venice. The location gave us excellent access to the 'sights' of the town and was easy to find by using the directions from another review on this site.
A heart felt thank you to Guiseppe for our excellent stay, Robin and Tamzin.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Robin B
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I had a wonderful stay! Thanks so much, Pepe, for being such a great host! Comfortable, clean, great location, terrific breakfast! Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LRJ_11
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Will definitely recommend this place to anybody who want to feel him/herself a Venetian! Located in a newly restored old Castle this B&B has everything necessary - clean, pleasant rooms, good breakfast, location near the main Venice sights and the feeling of a Venetian house when you open the window shutters and hear the subdued sounds of the street or unlock the century-old door with your own key.... The owner of the place is a great guy who will entertain you by telling his life-stories or give you valuable advice where to go and where not to go in Venice :)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple