“Opera critic!”

Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$105.70*
and up
Musica a Palazzo 'Traveling Opera' Performance in...
Ranked #12 of 800 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Accessible Opera, as though it was in your sitting room, but its a palace in Venice. Stunningly personal. Fun fun fun with 3 light and easy Operas to choose, 7 nights a week. It will make so many people's trip to Venice even more memorable.
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Bought surprise tickets for my dad after reading reviews. This palazzo is very hard to find, took us 1hour, no signs or directions in street to guide you. After we found it thought I had been swindled by the website, looked more like a brothel! Saw traviata first he was not impressed by the singers although he liked the ambiance and the intimacy . Next was rigoletto he was impressed by the different singers and loved it. This was a hit or miss however my father is an opera die hard fan so he is not easily impressed!

1  Thank danny C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,372)

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were enchanted. I go to the Lyric Opera in Chicago once at year at best, so I am not an afficionado. Still, I know what I like and this was fun. The rooms were beautiful and we were guests in the Palace and felt that we were. In the opening scene in a drawing room where a butler served champagne to the man and woman en scene, my companion and I were also served a glass of champagne each by the butler. Later, when he brought in cookies, he served them to others. This transformed the experience for not only us, but everyone in the audience who recognized that they were not invisible but part of the experience.

Because of the size of the rooms and the intimacy, the singers did not require any amplification. They seemed like real people having an actual experience that we witnessed. Before attending the performance I read some of the criticism regarding the quality of the voices. I have to disagree both as to quality and relevance. The Violinist, cellist, and violist were wonderful. I could have listened to them all night without vocalists. The singers were strong, but the context and experience changed everything. This production of an opera is palatable even for people who usually do not have the patience for opera. Getting up and moving from room to room and getting breaks with casual and short offerings of wine were lovely ways to lighten the experience.

(The children in attendance were bored, however. I would not bring my kids.)

3  Thank Susan M
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Incredible experience to be so close to the musicians and performers in such an amazing location. A night to remember.

3  Thank Jean C
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Wow. I had never imagined being an interactive part of La Traviata. The performers had energy and presence, the location felt authentic and real, and you feel as if you're really part of the opera. The performers interact with the audience, which is a competely unique experience for an opera.

The venue is well-located, about a 10 minute walk from S. Marco, and is easy to find with a map.

The only downside? The opera has been adapted and abridged slightly to accomodate a cast of 3 (5 characters in total).

7  Thank Yossi M
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We attended Rigoletto and thoroughly enjoyed the night out. The Palazzo where performances take place was on our regular route from apartment to San Marco, so had no trouble finding it on the night.

While the full opera, which is one of our favourites, was not performed, certainly the 2 hour duration, with some breaks, covered the majority of it.

We appreciated the format of the quartet of excellent musicians and each act performed in a different room. The number of guests was comfortable and afforded good views, given the non-assignment of seats. The mid-way refreshment was welcome. We surmised that the atmosphere recreated earlier eras of opera performed in private homes for small groups.

The singing was of a high quality. We felt the intimate setting brought an immediacy and closeness to the experience that by its nature is not there in the usual theatre setting.

I enthusiastically recommend a visit, even for opera aficionados (such as ourselves!).

5  Thank permia