“Rigoletto”

Buy Tickets Online
More Info
$101.88*
and up
Musica a Palazzo 'Traveling Opera' Performance in...
Ranked #13 of 796 things to do in Venice
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Accessible Opera, as though it was in your sitting room, but its a palace in Venice. Stunningly personal. Fun fun fun with 3 light and easy Operas to choose, 7 nights a week. It will make so many people's trip to Venice even more memorable.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were enchanted. I go to the Lyric Opera in Chicago once at year at best, so I am not an afficionado. Still, I know what I like and this was fun. The rooms were beautiful and we were guests in the Palace and felt that we were. In the opening scene in a drawing room where a butler served champagne to the man and woman en scene, my companion and I were also served a glass of champagne each by the butler. Later, when he brought in cookies, he served them to others. This transformed the experience for not only us, but everyone in the audience who recognized that they were not invisible but part of the experience.

Because of the size of the rooms and the intimacy, the singers did not require any amplification. They seemed like real people having an actual experience that we witnessed. Before attending the performance I read some of the criticism regarding the quality of the voices. I have to disagree both as to quality and relevance. The Violinist, cellist, and violist were wonderful. I could have listened to them all night without vocalists. The singers were strong, but the context and experience changed everything. This production of an opera is palatable even for people who usually do not have the patience for opera. Getting up and moving from room to room and getting breaks with casual and short offerings of wine were lovely ways to lighten the experience.

(The children in attendance were bored, however. I would not bring my kids.)

3  Thank Susan M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Incredible experience to be so close to the musicians and performers in such an amazing location. A night to remember.

3  Thank Jean C
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Wow. I had never imagined being an interactive part of La Traviata. The performers had energy and presence, the location felt authentic and real, and you feel as if you're really part of the opera. The performers interact with the audience, which is a competely unique experience for an opera.

The venue is well-located, about a 10 minute walk from S. Marco, and is easy to find with a map.

The only downside? The opera has been adapted and abridged slightly to accomodate a cast of 3 (5 characters in total).

7  Thank Yossi M
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We attended Rigoletto and thoroughly enjoyed the night out. The Palazzo where performances take place was on our regular route from apartment to San Marco, so had no trouble finding it on the night.

While the full opera, which is one of our favourites, was not performed, certainly the 2 hour duration, with some breaks, covered the majority of it.

We appreciated the format of the quartet of excellent musicians and each act performed in a different room. The number of guests was comfortable and afforded good views, given the non-assignment of seats. The mid-way refreshment was welcome. We surmised that the atmosphere recreated earlier eras of opera performed in private homes for small groups.

The singing was of a high quality. We felt the intimate setting brought an immediacy and closeness to the experience that by its nature is not there in the usual theatre setting.

I enthusiastically recommend a visit, even for opera aficionados (such as ourselves!).

5  Thank permia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Time spent on reconnaisance is never wasted! It's wise to track down the place in advance because it's not that obvious and, when we arrived at 8.00 pm when the gates opened, there were already about 25 people ahead of us in the queue. I'd recommend getting there about 7.50 so as to be very close to the head of the queue. You pass through a courtyard and up some stairs into the first salon. Once you've paid you take your seats. Our advice is front row on the right next to the cash desk. Front row on the left gets an equally good view as well as audience participation. Don't take the sideways-on seats near the musicians and sofa because much of the time the singers will have their backs to you. The only drawback of the front row seats is that you'l be last into the next salon for the drinks interval. They had not judged it well and there were insufficient glasses - we had to share - and only just enough prosecco. If you're close to the door where you entered, you'll then be at the front when led into the next salon. The most comfortable seat is the padded sofa at the back of the 'stage' although you will have the rest of the audience looking at you throughout the act. I'd again advise front row near the door. This room is crowded and hot, despite air conditioning, so taking a fan is advisable. By the door you are then well positioned to move promptly to a front row seat for the final act in the bedroom.

I give this advice in detail because, with a full house of around 75, the seating is cramped and this can detract from the enjoyment. Although there is a little padding, the seats are quite hard so taking a cushion would be wise. There is no dress code but most people came in reasonably smart casual wear. Four guests were in full fig: dinner jackets, evening dresses and though they looked magnificently stylish, they might have felt out of place. This is not a gala performance at the Fenice.

What about the performance itself? Fabulously sung with zest and humour. It is quite special to be just two paces away from the performance, and closer still if Figaro "cuts" your hair or don Basilio gives you his (stuffed) dog to look after. The music - singers and musicians - was excellent but even if you buy the programme with its English lyrics alongside the Italian, it is still hard to follow what is going on so it is advisable to brief yourself on the plot beforehand. The eveneing ends about 10. 45 pm. For the music alone I'd give this 5* but the cramped, hard seating took it down, for me, to 4*

8  Thank Beauchamp