“Not the most enjoyable experience!”

Al Portico Guest House
Ranked #72 of 457 Venice B&B and Inns
Gosford, Australia
“Not the most enjoyable experience!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Smell of mould in the bathroom, extremely hard to find when first arriving, it's down an alleyway with no sign postings, no wifi connectivity, no curtain so it was like daytime 24/7, no breakfast included.....only positive to this place is the location and a young female lady who was very helpful when we first arrived!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Kat09kitty

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Venice
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My sister and I recently stayed here during a two-day stay in Venice, and overall, we were pleased. It is nearly impossible to find a decent, not absurdly-priced hotel in Venice proper, and at €209 for a double for two nights, you can't beat the price. It's also centrally-located, if a bit difficult to find, off the busy Rio Terà San Leonardo (the road that runs in front of the train station), so that is certainly a plus. The courtyard and upstairs patio are cute, and all of the staff we dealt with were exceptionally helpful and friendly (and speak excellent English, if you are concerned about your lack of Italian skills!).

That said, there were a few snags--on their website, the amenities listed must mean that they are *options* for rooms, not standard in each. Because adjustable air conditioning and balcony were listed, I assumed our room would have both, and it had neither. The balcony wasn't a huge deal, but expecting air conditioning and walking into a stuffy room in humid Venice with a small portable fan, well...let's just say I wish I had been prepared for that! We rolled with the punches, as you must when traveling, and again, the misunderstanding was likely on my part, but you should be aware this may be a possibility.

Overall, if you're traveling to Venice on a budget, Al Portico is an excellent option.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank CSquaredM
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I sit here now in my room that I reserved seven months ago. The hotel website boasts of air conditioning in all the rooms that is self controlled. The only air in this room is a fan and the windows that are open(and the mosquitoes that come in with the air).I am told this morning that there are 3 rooms with air conditioning. I truly booked this hotel because it was in my price range with air. I feel deceived for the price I paid. The desk clerk was clueless as to the advertising even when I told him to look at their website. Garbage also is dumped in the same alleyway so there is a smell. Very difficult to find. The directions they sent me were wrong from the airport. Again the clerk seemed baffled when I showed him their letter. He told me flat out that they were wrong. If I hadn't had a store clerk call for me I would have wandered for hours

• Stayed June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed at the Al Portico Guesthouse for a whopping 15 days. We had booked a 5 day stay and then unfortunately I was hospitalised with appendicitis and we extended our stay. The staff were so lovely, translating at the pharmacy next door for us, allowing us free use of their facilities like printer and fax, and advising us they would keep our room free for as long as we needed it. It absolutely made a horrible situation a lot more bearable, and was very much appreciated.

Ok, like everywhere in Venice, this hotel is a bit tricky to find! DONT FOLLOW GOOGLE MAPS DIRECTIONS!

From the Train Station:
It is approx. 10min walking to the hotel.
When you exit the station you should see a canal in front of you. Turn left, and follow the main road, which constantly changes it's name. You will go over a bridge with stairs (ponte Guglie). You should see a sign on your left saying 'Rio Tera San Leonardo'. Continue, and on your left you will see a Banco Di San Marco. Just ahead on your right you will see a green newsstand and a pharmacy. On your right the street sign should say PISTOR. In between the newsstand and the pharmacy turn right, and immediately left - you should see the restaurant called LA COLOMBINA, go past this, and you will see a little tunnel called Sotoportego del Pegoletto. Go into this little tunnel and in the middle of it on your right is Al Portico.
Remember there aren't street numbers, just numbers for each sector - so look for the 1800's and Al Portico is 1804.

The hotel is right off this main street and there are plenty of restaurants, shops, bakeries etc.

Our room was lovely and bright with bathroom (we stayed in 2.11). Room was clean, with three big windows.
Internet access was intermittent in our room but worked in lobby and 1st floor.

At Al Portico you have the option of breakfast (served in your room) for 6EU per person. You get toast, mini toasts, spreads, ham, cheese, a croissant, coffee, and juice.

Staff are available 24hours a day as one of the staff lives in the hotel, and you just need to knock on his door. You have your own key for access 24 hours also. Marina helped with restaurants and sightseeing, plus calling a water taxi for us.

There are no lifts in the hotel but it is fairly small. Because the hotel is right near the canal there can be a lot of mosquitoes, so bring some repellent!

We will absolutely stay here again when we visit next year.

Thank you to Marina and Ronale for making us feel at home!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank silvericemaiden
London
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here - the staff are very professional, friendly and made me feel really welcome. The guest house is slightly away from the main tourist area (this a very good thing!) but it's really easy to get about from here & explore Venice with good advice from Marina! The rooms are clean, spacious, quiet & comfortable. I had a wonderful time here & will be coming to stay again. Thank you!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2011

staff is fantastic, location is unbeatable, decent breakfast (ask to serve it on the roof deck!). rooms are worn out, do not look like on the hotel's website at all, but if you are in Venice, you don't spend time in the hotel, right?)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Dagaz11
Paris, France
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Al Portico for 4 nights in October.
Marina's welcome was very pleasant (both very friendly and very professional), and her advice on restaurants and how to get a discount on boat fees turned out to be very helpful.
We paid 120€ a night, which by Venice standards isn't much and for the price I expected a basic, small room. Both room and bathroom turned out to be quite large, with a nice canal view.
The guesthouse is ideally located: immediately near a vaporetto stop (public transportation boats in Venice), close enough to sights, but in a relatively quiet and "authentic" area (as authentic as Venice can be... ) with lots of nice restaurants and bars.
The main drawback was the bathtub - one of these old-fashioned small tubs with a seat, we couldn't shower without flooding the entire bathroom. Overall the bathroom was large but a bit old.
From the reviews I had read online I excepted noise to be an issue. Our room was on the same floor as the reception and when people were checking in and out it was indeed so loud that it felt like they were in our room. But this happened twice and lasted for about 5 minutes each time.
I would definitely recommend Al Portico if you are looking for a not-too-expensive hotel but are not willing to go the very cheap way (hostel, shared bathroom, or staying on mainland Venice).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple