“Nice and away from crowds”

Hotel Al Duca di Venezia
Ranked #47 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely stay away from the hustle and bustle of San Marco, only an easy ten minute stroll to all major sites. Quiet and quaint hotel, light airy rooms, attentive staff. Thanks for making our stay in Venezia a good one.

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here in early September, tucked away in a less touristy area, a little hard to find, but after a few wrong turns, we made it. Room was small and price seemed high for what we had. Nothing bad, but nothing great either. Just your average hotel.

1  Thank Newps1
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at this hotel and found the staff to be extremely helpful. The room was on the second floor and was large and decorated in Venetian style. The bathroom was private and externally located on the third floor which was not a problem and probably made the bedroom larger. The external bathroom was large and clean with a great shower and was not a problem using the the stairs to access the bathroom. The location was great situated in a quiet area away from all the hustle and bustle of other tourist areas. We walked around all the islands within a few hours and dId not require the use of transport as Venice Is reasonably small the hotel was also easy to access on foot from the train station. Breakfast was nice and there's a bar nearby which serves 1euro glasses of wine which is useful in a generally expensive city!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank steff r
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My Wife and I are Americans who live in the Middle East and travel a lot. This was one of the most beautiful, well run hotels we have ever stayed in anywhere! You do not have to look any further, it does not get any better than this. The location, staff, incredibally large rooms, cleanliness, etc... You will not be disappointed! We will return!
Great job and Thank You.
Brian and Claudia V

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a pool or fitness center. I hit this by mistake.
2  Thank depchf20
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The Al Duca is in a neat part of Venice. It's not in the "tourist" section of Venice so we didn't have to fight the crowds and vendors, but was near shopping and a local festival. Our room was a mixture of the original building and updated changes; it was very comfortable. The staff handled the water taxi reservations to get us from the airport and to the cruise ship. Breakfast was included and the pastries were delicious. I'd stay again, if I get back to Venice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MichellesOnTheRoad
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is located within easy walking distance of the San Stae water bus stop and less than a minutes walk from a small jetty for private taxis. There is a nice square close by with restaurants and my wife and I were very pleased with the location. Our room had two large shuttered windows looking out to the courtyard of the natural history museum. The room was decorated in a most lavish regency gold and crimson style which provided a crazy but sumptuous romantic atmosphere. The en suite was spacious with a window and was well appointed with marble fittings. The air con was effective for the large room, even during the staggering heat of September and I was pleased to find it was exceedingly quiet. Free Wi Fi was available throughout the hotel. The staff were generally helpful and offered to book water taxis, reservations and tours for us. Apart from the staff, location and the room which we were very pleased with, the hotel had little else to offer. The inclusive breakfasts were rather a token effort of cereals, some fruit and pastries, but no hot food. There is no good bar area or garden. But these were minor issues to us because we had come to see the city, not to hang around the hotel.

I was a little troubled after a day of walking when I returned to find the hotel front door locked and a sign saying “Will be back soon”. After a five minute wait the receptionist returned and apologised for the inconvenience. Unfortunately I did not react well (after all, I was paying over two hundred Euros a night) and I made my displeasure known. Shortly after the manager contacted me and I was provided with free drinks each evening which I thought a good magnanimous gesture and an indication that they did value my custom. This was my only bad experience which the management satisfactorily addressed.

Venice is a unique city, the central island is small and stunningly beautiful and so hotels are able to charge a premium. We booked this place on the internet and having spent a few days in Venice we were pleased with the comparative value of our good room at the Hotel Al Duca di Venezia and the location. We would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a crimson room for added romance
1  Thank MaffUK
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We loved the room at the Al Duca. I asked for the red room because that's my wife's favorite color and it was RED! Felt a little like a boudoir but we really liked it. As is most of Venice it's walking distance from everything. The breakfast was good . Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Red Room was very quiet and right across from the room with the iron and ironing board.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple