“Disappointing but great views”
Review of Osteria Bancogiro

Osteria Bancogiro
Ranked #143 of 1,477 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Polo
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Situated just off the Rialto bridge, on the grand canal, behind the markets and next to a gondola stop, this place looked ideal to stop for a drink and a bite to eat. We had only been in Venice for 2 hours and were keen for a rest. We were told that we could only sit down if we were having a meal, and not just for a drink, so we decided to have a meal there anyway.
The menu choice was very good. I opted for duck served with a potato rosti and sauce (Euro 22) and my wife had a spaghetti dish (Euro 15). The food was well presented and my wife was happy with her dish. The duck looked delicious but sadly didnt live up to its appearance. Lacked taste, was very undercooked and more fatty than usual for duck. The sauce was served cold, but the rosti was amazing and the best that i have ever tasted. As we had not been in Venice too long, we never complained and just finished and left. The wine was nice.
Overall experience was disappointing, and we kind of felt as though we had been suckered in to the classic 'tourist trap' restaurant as we were sold on its location.
Wouldnt return to this restaurant again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,195)

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Very bad and expensive house wine. Slow waiters. I liked this place the least out of everywhere else i ve been in Venice. Had better service at the neighbouring bar and the view was the same

1  Thank Alex G
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Sitting outside near to the water's edge we enjoyed a nice drink in pleasant surroundings. The food we ordered (tapas style) was unfortunately not to our tastes, lots of raw fish in mayonnaise on top of polenta. Extra point given for the fact that I left my iPhone on the table and it was quickly rescued and kept safe by the staff. I only noticed it was missing after an hour but they recognised me immediately and handed the phone over. Very lucky.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Having read good reviews and seen it featured in our guidebook, we went to Bancogiro during our week long stay in Venice. The evening was cool so we ate in the upstairs dining room. Being converted from an old warehouse and still with the vaulted ceiling it had great atmosphere. The food and wine were good (though a little more expensive than our other dining experiences) but where were the customers? Being close to the Rialto Bridge we had expected it to be busy and buzzy. This was late May so hardly the off season but there was only one other table occupied and no one else had arrived when we left at 9.15.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We went here on the last night of a one week trip to Italy on the advice of our hotel. I was looking for high quality food & not 'touristy'. this was one of two suggestions and it was the closest. We figured we would check it out and move on to option 2 if we didn't like it. At first glance I was thinking 'tourist trap' just off the Rialto bridge and on the Grand Canal. We stopped in for a glass of wine (good selections - good start) and a look at the menu. Service was friendly and helpful and the food looked great. We stayed for dinner - ate al fresco - and were happy with everything. I would eat here again on our next trip to Venice

1  Thank wayfarerblue