“Daily Telegraph got it wrong - very hit and miss” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria L'Orto dei Mori

Osteria L'Orto dei Mori
Ranked #102 of 1,409 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Daily Telegraph got it wrong - very hit and miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Found this place reviewed positively in an article in the Daily Telegraph.

We shared the salad starter which was ok but nothing to write home about. I had a Primi Piatti of scallop with pumpkin cream I.e. soup - nothing special - there were only 6 little scallops in it. My daughter had a prawn gnocchi with spinach - that was delicious. For mains we had steak with Bernaise sauce - good steak not enough Bernaise - the spinach side was watery. My wife had the John Dory not with artichoke or the Asparagus they said - it came in a bag and was a bland disappointment. However the Sea Bream with herb crust was very tasty. Service was reasonable. For a €150 meal for 3 with wine it was an eating experience that disappointed.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Remscheid, Germany
“ok but nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were quite astonished - after all the good reviews - to find the food just average and the service quite rude. Maybe this is one of the places where fame went to much in the head of of the people. We did especially not like the staff's reminder after our arrival and before the hello, that they would have a second serving and would need our table in 90 minutes. Not really civilized !

Visited April 2013
Washington
“Worth finding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Enjoyed our last night in Venice at this cozy restaurant. We had not had great luck with previous restaurants in Venice being overpriced or touristy so found this one recommended in two guide books and on tripadvisor. We wanted to experience a more authentic experience off the beaten path and glad we did as this small restaurant with just about 10 tables was delightful. Do make sure to book in advance and have some idea where it is located as otherwise you would not find it.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent eatery - but a little overpriced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We ate as a table of 4. The location of the place is excellent. It is away from the bustle of tourists and much more residential. I can see that many of the other reviewers make reference to it being a spot for locals. We did not find this. There are approximately 10 tables in the place and at least four of them were occupied by Americans, three by British and I think I also heard a German couple. Notwithstanding this, it felt very cosy and welcoming. The atmosphere was relaxed and the waitresses were tentative.
It was a little expensive. The cover charge was 3.50euro per person however I accept that this was reasonable due to the source of the food, quality of decor and nice other touches (a new bread basket for each course). The courses each ranged from 15 euro to 30 euro. We are not big eaters and therefore we wanted to share some of the dishes. The waitress seemed fine with this, although we did feel a little pressured to try the more expensive items on the menu. I would definitely recommend the cheese fondue (although felt this was wildly overpriced as it only came with a small handful of croutons). My mother had the scallops which she thought was delicious. As a second course, I had the curried sole with black rice. This was delicious. My partner had the veal with liver and polenta. He said that it melted in his mouth and was very tender. Another in my group had the veal with cheese. I think he was disappointed with the portion size however he was pleased nonetheless as it was quite rich.
We had a selection of all of the desserts. They were beautifully presented. The semifreddo was my favourite. It's a must try.
The wine list was great and the waitresses were more than happy to assist with explanations.
The meal in total came to 190 euro for 3 courses and wine which was reasonable given the source and freshness of the food.
The experience overall was very good. We were ridiculously grateful to escape from the mass produce tourist places we had been to on previous evenings. If you are looking for a pleasant evening with good food, good wine and a nice atmosphere, please give this place a go.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Copenhagen
“Very romantic; book in advance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a wonderful evening at Osteria L'Orto dei Mori. It's a very cosy place in a quiet part of Venice. Perfect for relaxing after a long day.
We had a two-course menu, a bottle of wine and some water and paid 80 EUR in total, which we found reasonable. There was a good selection for vegetarians too.
They have two servings per night, so you can book for either 19:15 or 21:15.