“Better than I could have imagined”
Review of Hotel Canal Grande

Hotel Canal Grande
Ranked #11 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Oxfordshire
“Better than I could have imagined”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My partner took me to Venice as a surprise for my birthday. We spent four nights in this hotel which he found on the internet. This place is a real find - clean, tidy and classy but not a bit pompous. We were made to feel very welcome and our room (Casenova) at the top of the building was lovely, we just took time to watch the comings and goings on the canal - wonderful. I know the hotel has only been open 8 months but I hope it retains its character as we would love to re visit - especially as we are now getting married following the romantic proposal in Venice!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 14, 2010

As many of the other reviews have said, we were pleasantly upgraded from the Hotel Antiche Figure. We missed a night because of travel problems, and they gave us this opportunity for our troubles.

The hotel was right on the water with two nice benches outside for watching the canal. It is a small square that does not attract any foot traffic, so its quiet and nice to relax. Their is also a small balcony outside to eat breakfast and have a coffee. The location is about a 15 min walk to the Rialto bridge if you are taking you time with photos and reading the map. And about a 10 minute walk to the bus stop and/or train station.

Our room was amazing. We were taken to the Casanova quarters at the top floor. It had a window that opened to the canal, a private seating area, a queen(real queen) sized bed, and a very beautiful shower. It was clean and decorated very nicely.

The breakfast was a standard Italian breakfast, but everything was fresh and tasted great.

The service at the hotel was the warmest we had on our 10 day european trip. They spoke great english, answered all of our questions, and were helpful in what to see and do while there.

I stayed at the Antiche Figure previously, which i loved as a hotel. But after staying here, I know where I will return on every trip I take to Venice from now on.

1 Thank Mike1227
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The best service in all of the hotels we stayed at. Rooms are very quaint and extremely clean. The staff is one of the most (if not the most) friendly and caring staff we have encountered.We had breakfast( BEST capuccinos) every morning in their little dock overlooking the Grand Canal. Romantic and mesmerizing Venice comes alive first through the windows of this small but fascinating hotel, Every member of the staff makes you feel like royalty....

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I went to Venice with my family on vacation, and I had an amazing time at Hotel Canal Grande! It was my favorite hotel out of all the hotels I stayed in in Europe. I loved the interiors of the room, which gave a very pretty, elegant feel. However, my parents were a little disappointed because they got a suite, and their bedroom and bathroom were smaller than the ones in the regular room.

It was fairly noiseless at night, so I had a good night's rest. Another thing I loved about this hotel was the free WiFi in the bedroom. It was absolutely delightful! Other more expensive hotels still charge for WiFi!

The staff were incredibly friendly and made us feel very welcome. The manager, female with brown, curly hair, was especially hospitable and helpful.

The only downside I could think about this hotel is that the breakfast wasn't superb. It just consisted of some bread and some cereal. It was good enough though.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Venice. I had such an unforgettably wonderful experience in this hotel. Maybe someday I'd be able to return! :)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Did not have high expectations of Venice hotels generally but was upgraded to this absolute gem on arrival to the Hotel Antiche Figure. Reception staff and Lorenzo were extremely friendly and the breakfast ladies were fabulous! Our room was small but opulent and we loved the TV mirror! Great location right on the Grand Canal and just across the canal from the railway station. Breakfast was included and had a great selection with real Italian coffee! Free water taxi to Murano is recommended. Would highly recommend this new hotel as a welcoming retreat that is easy to find in the Venice maze!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GreatSouthernLand5
Milton, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The staff at this hotel are outstanding and are truly its strength. We were warmly greeted when we arrived and rather than just handing us a map, the person at the front desk took 10 minutes out of her time to explain to us all of the things to see and do. The service knocked our socks off.

The quality of the room itself was excellent. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable and though very small, both the room and the bathroom were more than adequate.

The only complaint I have about this hotel is the noise level. We were not in the main building, but had a room in one of the separate buildings. The front door has to be buzzed open by the front desk people and each time they did it it would wake us up. Even though people walking through were trying to be quiet it was nearly impossible to get through the building without creating a racket on the marble floors. The echo in the halls was incredible. I think a nice padded runner on the stairs and some padded carpets in the hall would take care of that problem nicely.

Other than that, great stay!

worcester
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The rooms were sumptuous well appointed clean and very quiet, we had a side room with a view to traditional Vincian calle and a glancing view of Gand canal.
Friendly welcoming staff made the stay a treat, they wanted you to feel 'at home' .
All the rooms have a names, I forgot our's but eventualy succedded to get the pronunciation correct, the staff were competent speakers of all main European languages. If you visit do use thier decking on to the canal for breakfast or a nightcap and watch the world go by, Vapporetto traveller will be tring to see which celebrety you are!
NB. you must get in traing be for you come to Venice walking can be strenuous in the heat, get a boat pass and use it is gerat fun . The LIdo, Murano and around the outside of the Islands give you an escape from the tourist hot spots.
Recomend you check books and guides in fireplace of breakfast room, they give you a good map and will annotate details for you.
One of the best, if not the best hotel we have stayed in.