“We are simply Delighted !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Canal Grande

Hotel Canal Grande
Ranked #11 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
“We are simply Delighted !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Beautifully restored with magnificent views over the grand canal with period furniture ,Beds are the only issue they seem very hard and the pillows quite flat something that needs attention however the staff are very professional I can only recommend highly .

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oswego, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Arrived by water taxi after a long flight. Staff was wonderful helping us find medical services for my wife who needed very specific anti-rejection medication due to her kidney transplant, the meds that she brought over were not in our carryon. The staff was wonderful, more like family!! They helped us find a pharmacist and a doctor that helped us get the medication that my wife needed to survive. They saved her and our 25th anniversary vacation. The food, breakfasts, were very good, the room gorgeous, and the views unforgettable. I would definitely come here again. We truly miss our new family members Gianna and Jon.

• Stayed April 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just returned from our trip to Venice and our stay at the Hotel Grande Canal. We were welcomed by Gianni at reception who was expecting us - having already answered some of our questions by email before arrival. Gianni could not have been more helpful telling us about the local area, and marking off places of interest on a map.
We were a little disappointed that we had booked two rooms and one of these ended up being in the annex - however as the hotel is quite small and both rooms were decorated and maintained to an excellent standard it did not cause a problem. Lovely to stay in a room decorated in the Venetian style.
Breakfast was plentiful and staff extremely happy to do anything to assist us and ensure we were happy. There was a small balcony onto the canal and we did manage to eat out here on one of our mornings.
We also made use of the free water taxi arranged by the hotel to visit the island of Murano and the glass factory - prices were way out of our league but worth the visit to see how the items are made and the variety available.
All in all we loved Venice and for us the hotel made our trip even more special.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShellB0770
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is on a relatively small scale but I give my sincere compliments to the two female owners! They were just simply lovely and made our arrival at the hotel so welcoming.

Hotel Antiche Figure is directly opposite the train station. Cross the bridge and you will reach it. However, if you are carrying many huge luggage, I suggest you engage a porter or two to help with the heavy bags. Because there is no way you can take a boat across the canal unlike some other hotels. My hubby and I were not aware of the porter service upon our arrival and had to carry our 3 heavy samsonites up and down the stairs ourselves. At 5 to 10 Euro for 3 pieces of luggage should be negiotiable.

We booked a superior room prior to our trip and upgraded to a deluxe room when one of the owners showed us the 2 rooms. I loved the deluxe room and the toilet was really impressive! It was weird, there was a fungus growing right under the window ledge beside the bath tub. Despite this, I thought the room was just fabulous! The room overlooks the grand canal and the furnishing in the room and toilet were very nice. Luxury with a cosy feel.

Another thing which I loved a lot was their shower gel and body lotion. It has a tinge of orange-flavoured aroma and the lotion feels really good after application. I'm never a fan of using body lotion but this one is just great! I still have the bottle of body lotion in my bag and have been using it whenever my skin feels dry when travelling. I wanted to ask for a bottle or two more to bring back home but I didn't. I really regretted not to.

The breakfast was really simple (to me) and great for people who love bread and pastry. I'm not a fan of bread but I have to admit that their danish pastry was very tasty! And the owner made a great cup of cappuncino!

I don't like walking. Though the distance between St. Marco square and this hotel may stretch to about 20 - 30 min, I didn't find the walking part taxing. I would definitely come back to this hotel if I were to visit Venice again!

Room Tip: The blue deluxe rooms with grand canal view are simply beautiful.
Williamston, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We felt the hotel offered a great location especially if arriving by bus/train as either are an easy 10/5 minute walk even with luggage. Although the room was nothing special it was of adequate size and clean (very dark with no view), but I imagine that helps maintain lower temperatures in the summer. Beds were typically European (twins, considered queen/king). Their terrace was excellent for a drink while sitting gazing over the Grand Canal. The included breakfast was perfect for our needs (toast, coffee, meats, cheeses, fruit, croissants, juices, yogurt, etc...and you could order eggs additionally if needed). We ate dinner at two recommendations from the Hotel while the first was very good the second was lacking service but came with a beautiful view of the Canal. Our tip to all would be use of the Vaporetto Del Arte boat tour/water taxi - no crowds and you can purchase hop on/off anytime for different periods of time; both the #1 & #2 were always packed (even on a 10p trip from the hotel to the Rialto Bridge).

Room Tip: Although we did not have a room on the Canal our room would be far more quiet and cooler during busy...
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Kent K
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We arrived at the hotel's own pier by water taxi, which was a fun splurge I recommend. We were immediately met and assisted with our bags. At check-in they noted we'd reserved a canal-view room and gave us a choice of retaining that or taking a smaller room that had a terrace. After looking at both rooms we opted for the terrace room - the only one at the hotel. We loved that terrace and the compromise on room size was well worth it. The view was of a small square and the Grand Canal. When we'd had enough of the heat & crowds of the city we retreated to the terrace and watched everything from our comfortable perch.
The breakfast provided was good, and included made-to-order latte, espresso, etc. staff recommendations for dinner were very good. At the end of our stay they inquired if we could recommend any improvements! I've never been asked that before.
Although 1 trip to Venice was enough for me I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ask for the terrace room - there's only one. The bathroom is tiny but the private terrace is wor...
2 Thank jawms