“Great hotel”
Review of Hotel Canal Grande

Hotel Canal Grande
Ranked #11 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Excellent hotel in all ways: lovely room, charming view over the canal, friendly staff, reasonable breakfast (Venice not generally being great for food), good value, spotlessly clean, quiet etc.etc. Can't fault it.

Room Tip: Carriera has a view of the canal and the square.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The first thing to like about this hotel is its close proximity to both the Santa Lucia railway station and and the bus drop off at Piazzale Roma, with only a short walk to each. However, this does mean a longer walk of around 15 minutes to Rialto and nearly 20 minutes to St Marks. The hotel itself is magnificent, rooms with Grand Canal views most highly recommended. These rooms are of good size and beautifully furnished, the four posted bed an outstanding feature. But it is the views that remain longest in memory. The breakfast provided is high quality and a good selection of typical foods and there are many good dining choices nearby as well as ATMs and a laundry. Hotel staff were excellent providing great service and friendly welcomes to all returning guests. There are many accommodation choices in Venice but it would be hard to imagine any better than the Hotel Canal Grande.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a Grand Canal view room
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place was a jewel! We were upgraded upon arrival with our choice of two different suites. I cant believe the luxury! The bed was very comfortable, looked like a King and Queen should be sleeping in it the way it was decked out. The bathroom was lined with marble, and beautiful fixtures. It had a very nice living area. It was something I was not used to staying in.

2  Thank Jarhead-1017
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A few weeks before my trip to Venice, the person with whom I was traveling and the travel agent who booked my cruise were dragging their feet about finding a hotel in Venice for three nights before the start of the cruise. I went to Travel Advisor and immediately booked the Hotel Canal Grande which was ranked #3 out of 407 hotels. I felt confident about my decision because I could cancel up to two days before the date of my reservation.

Even before arriving at the hotel, the front desk was extremely helpful in reserving a private water taxi for me to get from the airport to the hotel. The hotel has its own dock so there is no need to drag luggage on uneven pavement and cobblestones. The staff is phenomenal. They helped me contact my airline when the 800 number I had did not work in Italy. They reserved a private water taxi to get me to the correct dock where I was then able to find the riverboat to begin the cruise part of my trip. They are professional, welcoming and went out of their way to help me.

My choice of hotel could not have been better! Hotel Grand Canale is beautifully appointed and spotless. There is a small balcony where you can sip a cappuccino
and watch the boats go by. The breakfast rooms are cheerful and spacious. Breakfast has something for everyone. I particularly enjoyed the ripe, sweet kiwis that were cut in half and served in a big bowl every morning. Freshly made espresso and cappuccino (not out of a self-serve machine) are a delight.

Book a room on the canal so you can hear the gentle lapping of the water at night and watch the activity on the canal day and night. Hotel Canal Grande gets an A+ on all counts.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Valorie P
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. It's a short walk (across the canel) to the train station, but without any associated noise. Call for directions once you arrive at the train station. It is an easy walk. We carried our luggage- a little challenging up and down the stairs, but made it. We had a room with a balcony (not our originally booked room, but we chose to upgrade) that looked over canal. We sat out on the balcony at night and loved relaxing as the sun set. The staff was incredibly helpful re: what to do. All of our needs were met during our short 2 day stay. We will definately stay here again on our next trip.

Room Tip: If you can pick the room with the balcony overlooking the canal, go for the upgrade. It's worth...
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel to take my parents away for their 35th wedding anniversary based on availability for bank holiday (i left it a little late) but also the great TA ratings! I wanted something with a wow factor but without the hefty price tag for bank holiday weekend getaways. Yes this hotel wasnt cheap, but when compared to others, it really is a gem!

We booked a prestige room for me and hubby and a junior suite for my parents. Both were exactly what i hoped for! Actually the prestige room was a lot bigger than i expected! And the bathroom was bigger than the one in the junior suite. No biggie but my parents did giggle at that fact! The decor is classical venetian - and why not if you're in Venice?! We didnt pay to have a canal view and really you dont need to because you will see it the moment you step out of the hotel anyway!

Location was also great. We took the no5 aerobus from the airport which took 20 minutes to get to the main bus station and then its a further 10 minute walk. Really easy journey - it would be hard to justify the ?25pp charge by water taxi which takes an hour! And getting into the main tourist hub is only 10 minutes by water bus.

The great thing about this hotel was the staff - always smiling and willing to help; and the location - close enough to everything but without the tourist hub price tag and the rooms are much more spacious!

As we were literally only there to sleep and have breakfast, i really cant fault it!

1  Thank KiddyReviews
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The location is excellent, on the Grand Canal close to vaporetto stops and train station without being an intrusion, making this an ideal location for Venice. The accomodation was spectacular, with rooms that have the wow factor. To compliment this the staff were friendly and provided excellent service and were more than happy to accomodate our needs. Overall a highly recommended hotel that we would happily return to, fully justifying its prominence on trip advisor. There are plenty of restaurants and shops close by just across a near by bridge.Who ever started the comment "it is worth getting lost to find the real Venice" was so right, this is highly recommended!.

Room Tip: We had a choice of rooms, and would have been equally as happy in any.They were all to a high standa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple