“The most authentic Venetian cuisine ever!”
Review of Trattoria Borghi

Trattoria Borghi
Ranked #647 of 1,469 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was one of the best meals I have ever had! We felt like guests of the Borghi family here. Each dish was carefully prepared fresh - and FRESH is perhaps the word I use to describe all of the food prepared here. Had the pasta with clams as primi - you could almost taste the clear sea in the tender , small, sweet clams! The sea bass was the secundi - prepared with only olive oil and fresh basil, with some grilled vegetables on the side. Again, simple and elegant preparation of good food that lets it speak for itself!

The best Venice has to offer. Will definitely return to this special place.

1  Thank Randy M

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The real name is Trattoria S. Basilio.
It's just behind the S. Basilio boat stop. Owner was great. Beautiful spot. The owner gave us a special tuna salad for the table and then brought our daughter a bonus mozzerella and tomato salad. Pasta with clam sauce was simple, but fantastic. Sea bass was outstanding.
Go here!!

3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is a great spot around the southern area of the Zattere (on the water). Bourdain visited here, which put it on our radar. The service was beyond excellent, and the food was amazing. One of my friends wanted to try a different kind of dish (cuddle fish pasta), which has a very distinct flavor. Our waiter asked him if he wanted to try it before ordering, so long story short, he invited my friend to the kitchen where they made a fresh sample for him to try. This was everyone's favorite meal over our 2 week trip.

4  Thank Shurpa14
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Delightful location and helpful staff, however we were brought what we imagined was complimentary bread ( 4 pieces) and were charged 10 euros and then an additional 10 euros were added for a service charge. It felt like a rip off and felt other need to be aware.

2  Thank margaretspps
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had the great luck of watching Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations as we were planning our trip to Venice. The most memorable of his stops was this restaurant. The ranking of this restaurant doesn't do it justice. We were warmly greeted by the owner, his brother, and son all of whom helped create the best dining experience we have had in Italy, I'd venture to say ever.

Let's start with the service: my husband and our friends that we were traveling with were VERY excited to relive "Anthony's trip". This means 100s of pictures and giddy adults acting like we were dining in the White House. The owner was absolutely wonderful, he was warm, friendly, and patient. He treated us as if we were Mr. Bourdain himself, talking about the history of his restaurant, his family, and about the food. He helped me (the indecisive one) decide on which delicious menu item I wanted, and even posed for pictures at the end of the evening.

The other star of the night was: THE FOOD. Many times when we dine we feel the need to stay away from traditional items, we think "why get pasta with red sauce? You can get that at an Olive Garden.." What we need to ask instead is "are we at a restaurant that can make the best traditional dish we've ever had?" Absolutely the most delicious food we have had on our whole trip. We had a seafood platter for appetizer (from the show) which contained a variety of different delicious concoctions. My husband and one of our friends had pasta with clams (also on the show), another friend had pasta bolognese, and I (with the suggestion from the owner) had pasta with red sauce and seafood. My plate sounds simple, maybe something that you would get anywhere... But it wasn't. The seafood is fresh, the pasta perfectly cooked, and the red sauce was to die for. Perfectly crafted and seasoned, I only wish I could buy it in a jar. Everywhere we go we compare our experience to this, and everything else falls short.

It was a bit of a walk from our hotel to get here, but it is a walk I wish I could take every night. The location is perfectly nestled by the docks and a water bus stop. The restaurant has only had 2 owners, and has been in the Borghi family for 2 generations. Using their own recipes that have been handed down over the years, they see no need to change. And neither do I.

4  Thank Sara H