“Historic hotel, great location and view”

Residence Palazzo Odoni
Ranked #132 of 387 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We loved the idea of a historic hotel, and loved their website! The soaring music and candle-lit stairs. In reality, it's not quite as magnificent but that's understandable! We all 'dress up' for a photo shoot!

The many stairs (50, I counted, including those in our room) were difficult, especially for my husband, but I think so many stairs are quite common in Venice, no fault of the hotel. The owner, Michele, was very friendly and helped us with our luggage upon checking in, so that helped.

There was some confusion upon check-in, which Michele eagerly and warmly helped us with. It seems two family members share ownership of the overall building, and manage each section independently. We had apparently booked through TripAdvisor, and had reservations at an 'apartment'. Our friends reserved a couple months later, directly on the website, and they ended up in a 'hotel room'. Big difference, though co-located. Our apartment had a small kitchen and no breakfast, but we didn't come to Venice to cook! Our friends in the hotel room had a free breakfast. We were clearly told we could not be accommodated at the breakfast room (which seemed to be fully a part of the same facility). It wasn't a huge deal - we ended up going out to breakfast with our friends, who ended up not using their free breakfast. But each time we asked a question of the 'other' management, we were brusquely told it was different management, and were not helped.

When we brought up this confusion (at the beginning) with Michele, he was VERY helpful. He was apologetic, though he didn't need to be, since he showed me that on our original email exchange, it was clear there was no breakfast. It was my fault, my misunderstanding. Michele is not there all the time, but does make himself very available if something comes up.

Our apartment was the Tiziana suite. It was a large living room and dining room, 3 comfortable (if a bit threadbare) couches, some foldout I think. There was a TV (which we didn't use) and EXCELLENT internet. The view of the canal is fantastic. There is also a dining room with a lovely chandelier and large sideboard and a wardrobe and desk. There is a large drape that I'd guess allows the guests to use the fold-out couches and have some privacy. The bedroom is upstairs - a bit small but adequate, with some dark spots that made seeing our suitcases difficult. Other than that, the lighting was nice. There is a nice view of Venice rooftops from a small window in the bedroom. The bathroom is clean and nice-sized, with bidet and Jacuzzi tub and a large sink. The 15 (?) stairs up to the bedroom and bathroom were quite steep and difficult to negotiate with luggage or bad knees!

Our only disappointment was that, even though the living/dining room area was quite spacious and had a great view - it just didn't feel cozy to me. Our friends had a hotel room on an upper floor and a terrace, which felt so much more warm and friendly. But that's just me, I think! Others have written nice things about the same apartment we were in. It would be great for a family, as long as they can manage it with one bathroom!

The location of the hotel in Venice is wonderful. Not a highly touristy area, but reasonably close to Piazzale Roma. (Though we had a lot of luggage because of our itinerary, and went ourselves from the cruise terminal, to the People Mover, to Piazzale Roma and walked over the several bridges with all the luggage. The 80 Euros for a taxi from the cruise ship ended up looking like a great deal after all that!) The neighborhood is quiet and picturesque. There are some nice trattorias nearby - our favorite was Osteria Ae Cravate nearby (see the TripAdvisor reviews), a cozy place with delicious food. Michele at the Odoni recommended it, and we went there every night.

Overall, Michele was very helpful, the view was fantastic from our windows. I love the historic nature of the hotel. The location was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy_SKC

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I have been a member of trip advisor for 4 years and contribute regularly, this is the first negative review that I have ever written. We booked our canal view apartment 9 months earlier, only to be shown to a dark room over looking a court yard. We rang Michele manager/owner straight away, he came to our apartment apologising that he had made a terrible error and only booked us in normal apartment and canal apartment already booked by group of 5 people and offered us a discount to stay in non canal view apartment. This is our first trip to Venice and wanted to make it special, after much discussion Michele did come good and move us the canal view apartment. Ok let's put this behind us and enjoy our time here in Venice, we started to head out when Michele wife then came and tried to change our mind and talk us into moving us back into original apartment as easier for them to accommodate the group of 5 in canal view apartment. I'm sorry but we booked this 9 months earlier. The damage has been done, we stayed in the canal apartment, but totally upset me and has put a real downer on our trip to Venice, always in the back of our minds.

I sit here typing the review listening to the rowdy people next door, hearing every noise, doors closing and opening, so much for peaceful seems like it's going to be a long night.

On the bright side, the apartments are a great size, spotlessly clean. Basic kitchen facilities. Great location close to bus and train station.

I think we must just of been unlucky with the mix up of rooms, yes Michele did he best to accommodate us, but the damage was already done.

Would I recommend the Residence Odoni - no not on this occasion.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Trace_Nick_Blake
micuz, Owner at Residence Palazzo Odoni, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Pardon my asking, but ...are you complaining for something that we had immediately sorted out? or are you complaining because my wife dared to speak with you after me? (she didn't know that we had already spoken) . You booked a canal view apartment and you received a canal view apartment with my excuses for my mistake. What's the big deal? The waste of 5 minutes of your time !?! If this is the greatest disappointing you ever had , well, good for you.!
Regarding the noise, I had to squeeze those 5 persons in the small apartment next door, and they were simply having a dinner altogether, which ended at 11 o'clock. (I was there and I can tell)... People enjoying their time at the Palace, even if in a small apartment, happy to be together.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I hated this place so much. The only reason why I gave it two stars is because it was in a great part of Venice...Santa Croce....away from the tourist. Where to start....first you have lug your luggage up about 50 dirty rugged stairs, and when you're in Italy for two weeks, that can be a lot of stairs. second we were told breakfast wasn't served in this "hotel" it was suggested we have breakfast at a restaurant down the block. To find out that they did serve breakfast EVERY morning (I guess not for us to participate). third, the floor in the livingroom had a huge hole in it, the top of the bathroom door molding was missing, and there was a gap/hole above the bathroom door. The toilet had a crack on it. I'm sure people would say that's vintage Venice, I say this is just excuses for not having to fix anything. Fourth, we had to settle our bill the night before we checked out, like we were going to run out of there without paying our bill. Fifth, the manager/front desk clerk/owner, whatever, did say two words to us since we walked in this place.

It was the worst experience i've ever had at an hotel (maybe if we were a little lighter we would have received better service). I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank My2Cents15
micuz, Owner at Residence Palazzo Odoni, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Do you know what I do hate? People who lie, hidden by a nickname!
Why didn't you complain during your stay?
First, I personally helped you with your luggage - as I ALWYAS do - on the ANCIENT stairs dated 1490. Palazzo Odoni is a small building with few rooms and apartments. You chose the apartment with the kitchen and it was clearly told you that apartments have no breakfast included. The breakfast room is tiny and it is reserved for those clients staying in the rooms, while the apartments, once again, have the kitchen facilities. If you had told me, I should have moved you to the rooms.... But no... you didn't tell me anything.
There is even a telephone in the apartment with a direct line to reach me anytime, 24 h !!!
The "huge" hole you mentioned is a little crack because it is an ORIGINAL floor "alla veneziana"; of course, you can't understand the difference...
All the other lies really bother me: I use to speaking with people and sort all the problems out.
This is the way it works, face to face. I suggest you to try. You could be surprised about the result.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lovely, comfortable and clean apartment with everything you would need for a short stay in Venice. The decor is beautiful - as you would expect in a Palazzo. We chose an apartment with a canal view and were very pleased with it. In the evenings the courtyard entrance was lit by candlelight - it looked beautiful. The location could not have been better - very easy to get to all parts of Venice either on foot or on the vaporetti. A quiet area at night which is a definite plus, but short walking distances from good bars and restaurants. Michele is the perfect host, and the night porter who met us when we arrived was very helpful too. Have booked my return visit already.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had a great stay here. The location is very convenient - the Residence is very atmospheric and Michael who owns and runs the place very professional and welcoming. Hopefully not out last trip to Venice and hopefully we'll return to Palazzo Odoni.

Room Tip: Our rooms had a great view of the canal.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank davidlees
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in an apartment at Residence Palazzo Odoni for 2 nights at the end of a 2 week trip in Italy. The apartment was fine, it looked as pictured on the web page. The bathroom was very nice with a jacuzzi tub, of which we took advantage to ease our sore muscles from 2 weeks of walking all over Italy. Michele was very helpful and was quick to answer our questions and help with our needs. Our big disappointment, and the reason for only 3 stars, is that the web page clearly advertised views of the canal, but there was absolutely no view. When we looked out our windows, we looked across a 10 foot alley into neighboring apartments. On the plus side, it was quiet, but we booked there because of the promise of a view.

Other than that our stay was nice, plenty of room, a clean apartment, comfortable beds. It would have been a nice touch to include a couple of bottles of water in the fridge. It also would be nice to have the option to have breakfast at the adjoining hotel. I would have been fine to pay for it, but that is not an option. It smelled awfully good as we set out to find breakfast elsewhere.

If you follow directions from the train station as they are written on the web page, be aware that when you cross the first big bridge at the station, the directions tell you to go to the end of the road then turn left, the end of the road is actually the next bridge you come to. The roads are not well marked And we continued over the next 2 bridges to the end, got lost, had to double back with our big suitcases. Our 10 minute walk turned into an hour. Bless Michele for carrying our bags up the stairs to our apartment, as we were totally spent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bonnie L
micuz, Owner at Residence Palazzo Odoni, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

I am very sorry about your disappointment but you should have told me about it once in Venice. I have 2 kind of apartments; with or without canal view and of course they have different prices.
You booked the apartment without canal view as expressly specified in the email we exchanged.
If you had told me that you wanted the apartment with the view, I would have been more than happy to meet your wishes. It's a real pity you did not mention your disappointment during your stay. You seemed instead very happy and these 3 stars are a very bad surprise now...

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The suites are beautiful and the location is fine- a short walk to the major sites but in a less frenetic neighbourhood. I am surprised that there is no in house breakfast available for the suites. We used their recommended restaurant a few doors away where the breakfast was cheap (7 euros) and with good reason. Apart from that minor irritation I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: A suite overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family