Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
$394
$323
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Al Duca di Venezia(Venice)(Great Value!)
$294
$482
$420
$360
  • Room Service
All reviewssan staegrand canalmozart suiterialto bridgest staewater taxibeautiful hotelsuperior roombreakfast staffvaporetto stopcanal viewhotel entrancethe hotel staffour honeymoonmurano islandbreakfast roombooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2013

On booking online we only had the choice of 1 standard and 1 superior room options. So I opted to pay the extra $100 for that but my friends that didn't pay the extra received this double upgrade to a suite and we were placed in a fairly nicely decorated room with a small canal view which every morning woke up to the noise of the boats pulling into and leaving the stop right next to the hotel. Part of the floor was crumbling near the step up to the bathroom and my son happened to step on a screw left on the floor. Hotel was full and they couldn't change our room. Total cost of room also ended up $200 AU more than first quoted on booking.com because we didn't have to pay for hotel until check out and then the rate had changed would have been better to pay when booked to save but it wasn't available. Wifi is also a charge for each item using it not for the room with a couple of phones or iPad etc. they were accommodating when I queried it and reception allowed another I'd pass to use for the other phone. Overall still a beautiful Hotel which apparently is 500 years old but beautifully presented.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Nozio
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli in August for an extra day after our 2 week cruise was over and fell in love with the beauty of this hotel. We had arrived at the front with a private water taxi and were so excited to stay at a nice hotel, especially because it was for our honeymoon. We arrived at 11 am and the front desk staff let us know our room wasn't ready, which was okay (and normally happens when you arrive before 2 pm). The man took our luggage and we were off to explore the city with our tour guide. When we came back at 6 pm, we had to stand around at the desk to wait for the only staff member at the front desk to take time from whatever he was doing on the computer to pay attention to us. He then said "yes?" We told him we were back to check into our room and I gave him our name. He said "okay" and then nothing. I had to tell him we needed a key and to know where our room was. After that was squared away we walked to our room on the first floor. The porter opened the room for us and I wanted to leave our luggage by the closet, but he told us if we didn't put our bags onto the furniture piece next to the closet (looked like a desk or something) we would not be able to walk around. Hmm.. I then looked around the room and noticed how extremely small it was. The bed looked like it just fit inside of it. So we stacked our bags and decided not to let it bother us. Next my husband decided to take a shower. This bathroom was for disabled people (which is fine, but we are not disabled and would have liked an actually shower/bath tub/shower curtain/anything). It was impossible to take a shower without covering the whole room with water, which is a major safety hazard especially with all the marble. We were unable to clean up all the water because we only had two towels. Again we said not to let it bother us, we could just let it air dry as best as possible.

Now the situation that tipped us over the scale that really made us upset happened in the middle of the night (about midnight). We had a very early flight the next day so we decided to go to bed early (about 11). Awhile sleeping, someone came into our room! I have never been so scared before because you don't know if it is a staff member, a crazy person, your imagination goes crazy. My husband quickly yelled get out, and the person shut the door. He then got out of bed to see what was going on. Here it was a staff member who didn't think we were inside because we were never checked in. How can you not be checked into a room with a card key and everything!? The rest of the night was ruin because I couldn't sleep, too scared someone would come in again. That you can not forgive because you pay good money to have a safe quiet place to sleep and when a hotel, which is a service, doesn't provide this I would never recommend it to others. I'm glad others have had a great stay, and others will have a great stay after us, but I cannot personally say to stay here because I will not ever again.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the first floor. Make sure you are actually checked in (yes double checking with a hotel that you are checked in is ridiculous, but if you don't you may have a strange man come into your room in the middle of the night).
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley P
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Visited Venice in July, first of all not at all smelly! If people have told you that Venice smells in the summer...ignore! One of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I have been to.
Palazzo Giovanelli has a great location. Took us less than an hour to get there by the water bus from the airport. Orange line to San Stae (€25 return, tickets available in airport and at the waterbus station). This stop brings you literally to the hotel, cross the little bridge on your left and take the first left - quite easy to find! The hotel is very classy, unfortunately a little snobby while we were there, as a young couple the older guests did seem snooty. Short walk to Rialto bridge and about half an hour to St Mark's square, but a very pleasant walk.
Our room was made up every day and immaculately clean. The bathroom was beautiful. Sky tv...not that we spent much time indoors.
The hotel offer a variety of trips, the tour of Ancient Venice with a lady called Louisella was really great, and very reasonably priced. DO NOT take a gondola tour from the hotel, they charge €100 (which is just a little over the going rate), if you have the money then great go for it...we however chose the option of sharing a gondola with other people paying €30 for the pair of us for half an hour - obviously a must do in Venice, but doesn't have to cost you a fortune.
The only let down...the breakfast. The first morning we didn't quite grasp the hour ahead, so went down to breakfast at 9:45 when it finishes at about half 10...there was nothing left and we ended up eating at a cafe. The next two mornings we made sure to get there earlier, very limited selection. The hot breakfast isn't at all appealing...
Staff were all very friendly. Beautiful garden at the back of the hotel to sit in during the evening. Only drawback of the rooms is the lack of windows!!
Venice is beautiful and you can't go wrong with this hotel - we loved our weekend there.

(We got a deal on travel republic paying £450 for three nights)

Room Tip: Be cheeky and ask for a canal view ... don't ask don't get!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natasha T
Reviewed August 30, 2013

close to the main station and st. marco, yet away from the crowds. its location at St Stae vapporato station makes it an ideal location... very interesting jewels nearby, and you can experience walking around, crossing rialto bridge and getting to st marc square. the staff is very friendly and helpful. they even send you to the best restaurants in town where u can have real bargains. will visit it again, as promised.

Room Tip: no need to ask for the channel view... as nobody stays in his room in Venice
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise break for my other half as I had planned to propose to her in Venice. I'm really glad I chose this hotel as it was ideal for exploring Venice because it is situated right on the grand canal and a 2 minute walk from the water taxi stop. Walking to and from the the main attractions without using the water services is do-able but if you decide to stay here I would recommend getting a pass for the water taxis to cover the duration of your stay - everything becomes much more accessible by doing so.

The breakfast was continental and was very average to be honest. There were bacon and eggs as well as a small selection of breads and jams etc but on the whole, there was little variety and it was fairly basic but adequate to set you up for the day.

The rooms are very nice with modern decor and really nice but quite small bathrooms. The bed was very comfortable - perfect after a day walking round the streets of Venice.

On the whole, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a top floor room and whilst it was fairly small, there was ample space for luggage etc and it was very comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple