“It's ok ... but I wouldn't use again if I went back to Venice.”

Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli
Ranked #128 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Horsham, United Kingdom
“It's ok ... but I wouldn't use again if I went back to Venice.”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ok, but I wouldn't use if I went back to Venice .... meaning the hotel is "ok" but I'd try a different hotel if I ever went back to Venice as the overall experience for the money I paid didn't impress me enough to want to go back.

For those of you thinking of booking this hotel please be aware of the following which I experienced and you may find of use, I tried to note where things were different/fixed against other reviewers experiences.

Getting there, well in fairness nothing is straight forward to find in Venice when you first arrive and if you haven't been there before (you'll find it easier on day 2), but finding the hotel was easy in my experience, it's right next to San Stae or the river bus stop S Stae. They are signs when you get nearer the hotel, but basically when you get off at S Stae you go left and over the metal bridge and you'll see the signs. It's a 1 minute walk at most. In fact when you are at San Stae if you look to the canal you will see the boat stop for the hotel with the blue and white landing poles sticking out of the water.

Check in was fine, we had to ask the lady (long black hair, glasses, more on her later) about local things, where do you recommend to eat, go etc and yeah we had a fair idea what we were going to do but it's still nice to be told/asked .... is this your first time in Venice, have you though about going here/eating there etc, anyway no major thing but we had to ask. One of the men stepped in at this point gave us a booklet and a map, had a little joke with us saying we can only show you half of the things to see now, if we show you everything you will never come back, so this was nice and appreciated.

We stayed in the junior suite on the 4th floor (no 3rd floor on the lift) and had the view of the canal, now it's not what you'd expect from a junior suite but I think you will find generally in Venice the rooms are smaller because the buildings are (can't back this up as I haven't stayed in other hotels), but just so you are aware the rooms in my opinion are smaller than you'd expect. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi bath, good powerful shower, 2 sinks, bidet, wc and it looked good. Door on the shower didn't close properly which is a minor point.

Some damage to the floor in the main room caused no doubt by movement, however you could catch you bare feet on if your not careful, I think things like these should be repaired prior to occupancy.

On other notes made by previous reviewers, we did have plenty of towels but the cloth towels were still there, I found the room to be clean and no marks on the bed etc.

Breakfast, not a massive selection but I found it adequate: scrambled egg and thin bacon if you were going hot ..... ham, cheese, croissants, bread, some pastry, fruit and cereal if you going cold.

1 power socket by the front door in the room that's it.

No tea of coffee making facility.

No iron or ironing board in the room.

Safe in the room, took a bit of working out for some reason, I'm normally good with things like this, but I got it working all the same.

Loads of different types of shampoo, bath foam etc which I used, not top of the line toiletries that perhaps you may expect but it met my requirements.

Soap was fresh and not used before, just picking up on a previous reviewer note.

As mentioned by other reviewers, you had to pay for Wifi, (ok look, its cheap if you go for the all in rate for your stay 10 euro, nothing major really) however it's "annoying" when you have paid a lot of money for a room (4 nights in my case) to be charged for Wifi however cheap it is .......... and get this - I paid for the all in rate for our whole stay for the wifi and my partner logged in to use it, when she was finished I said ah ok I'll use it now, tried to log in but couldn't, went down stairs and asked the same girl behind the counter what's up, she was happy to reminded me it was only for one device, I didn't catch that bit the first time, silly me!! so I'd have to pay again for my device which I declined out of principle. But to get round it, you set one device up as a hotspot and share the internet access with other devices :))))

The staff I didn't find too bad, but I can understand how other reviewers found the staff rude but that's a personal thing, you don't get a cheery hello that's for sure (although when I said hello I always got a hello back). All the male staff behind the main counter and the night porters I found pleasant and helpful, however the girl (as mentioned above) on the main counter, even I struggled to see the good in her.
One example - On my last day the fellow on duty helped with me with a transfer to the airport that "I had booked" and that didn't turn up, he made calls for me, gave out to them etc, very good service from him ... however when I asked the girl general questions (the day before) about my transfer like, do you know this company, are they reliable, do I need to check with them etc she didn't seem interested, she said “you have booked it, it should come”. She didn't offer to call them, and basically didn't offer any kind of service you'd expect. Frustratingly if she had called the day previous I probably would not have had the problems the day after (and some of you may say I should have rang myself, and my reply would be, I've paid plenty for the room and I'm on holiday … so for someone in a hotel to make a quick call for me, is that too much to ask?) one example there but there were others I have already eluded to above.

TV it worked fine for me, you can get sky news and other news stations but that's it for English speaking programs, but I didn't go to Venice to watch TV.

I didn't need to use the aircon so can't comment.

I didn't have the noise from the other rooms at the other reviewers experience. The doors do open loudly as it's an electronic lock and I was able to close the door quietly by pulling down the handle, closing the door and releasing the handle, this worked for me anyway but my door wasn't binding perhaps like another reviewer experienced.

The location is good, it's nice and quiet away from the touristy bits. There are some nice restaurants and night cafés around. Doesn’t take long too get to San Marco on the river bus, but we tended to walk to everything else, was nice to wander and take things in. I did notice some dog droppings like other reviewers noticed, but I can't really say it was a lot, and we did plenty of walking when we were there.

Oh just to note: the staff I noticed didn't have name tags, I remember only seeing one name tag on one of the girls on the breakfast shift (the taller one, you will notice even with a name tag I still didn't get her name haha) anyway she was really good.

To Sum up:
Service average: had good and bad so I have to score it in the middle.
Value: Expensive for what you get, but it probably the same all over Venice. I still remain average on this, I've had a lot better for less money.
Sleep Quality: No problems, I slept well and was comfortable 4 out of 5
Cleanliness: Found it clean and well presented. 4 out of 5
Location: Very Good 4 out of 5
Rooms: small for the money, looked good enough, will stick with an average overall taking account of toilet items, power point etc.

Hope my review helps you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NameInHere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
dublin
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We spent just one very wintery night in this hotel. We had parked our car at Marco Polo airport and taken the Alilaguna boat service from there to the San Stae stop which is right beside the hotel. Unfortunately there was no visible signage for the hotel, presumably due to Venice city hall restrictions, and so we wandered around for a while before we were directed to the hotel entrance.
Our bedroom and bathroom were very modern and tastfully designed. The receptionist selected an excellent restaurant for us to have supper, whilst the only meal we had in the hotel was breakfast which was of a good standard.
I would suggest that the room price should have included WiFi, otherwise this was a pleasant experience.

2 Thank LisDoonVarna
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We are in Venice for 4 nights. We just spent two nights at the Hotel Canal Grand and had an unbelievably pleasant experience. My wife and I just checked in at the Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, and I can say with the utmost sincerity that it is one of the worst hotels I've ever experienced.

Pros:
- Good location
- Beautiful building
- Nice lobby
- Entrance to the hotel is charming

Cons:
- Incredibly rude staff (which normally does not bother me... continued below)
- Air conditioning not working (was told by the staff to open the window even though it was POURING rain and stank of rotten eggs outside, "we are not in summer" and "be practical in life." were said to me)
- TV not working (was told by the staff "every other guest knows how to work the TV, you just don't." Then, he proceeded to try to turn it on, and it did not work for him after 5 minutes of trying, but no apology! Then, when in front of his colleague, he denied the entire situation took place.)
- Shower not draining (issue ignored by staff)
- Can hear every footstep upstairs
- Yellow stains on the bedspread
- Black hair on the pillowcase
- No towels, given strange tablecloth things (when we asked for towels and soap, the staff questioned us suspiciously, like we were asking for them to give us the moon!)
- Complained about all of the above - nothing was done about it other than a staff member coming up to our room who told us that we were "just tense".

This has been a miserable experience on what has been an otherwise pleasant and relaxing vacation. If a relative of mine requested advice on where to stay in Venice, I would point them in the opposite direction of this establishment.

11 Thank brian031282
Torba, Turkey
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What a mistake it was to venture from San Marco and the Lovely hotel Saturnia & International!
San Marco maybe a bit touristy but it also has class, unlike San Stae and it sidewalks paved with dogs mess!
The Palazzo Giovanelli likes to give the impression of 'gradeur' but it isnt, its a budget hotel.
The clue is there, you must pay for wi-fi!
Our room was very small, we inherited the soap from previous ocupants, cheep nasty soap and shampoo (filled up rather than replaced). Towles that were orange table cloths in apperance, we ran out of toilet paper on our last day! Good luck trying to operate the power shower, and keep it going, and then stoping it from dripping! The door to our room was really difficult to shut, the neighbours prob thought we were terrorising them, sorry! Bathroom door was so noisy, nearly as noisy as the plumbing in the next room!
Breakfast was horrible, we never saw one happy face among the staff or guests!
Of course their budget doesnt run as far as giving you fresh fruit juice, warm coffee, bread, much of a choice of fruit, enough 'bacon' to go around, but, there was enough greese left over to keep Turkish wrestlers happy! And the bed!? OMG, on our last night we both suffered badly from itching, of course we did, it's too much to ask to keep things clean on a LOW BUDGET.
Please, i can understand if you havent been to Venice before then for a lot of people it will all seem lovely, BUT, if your own budget is around the mark for this hotel, I URGE YOU, Hotel Saturnia & International in San Marco is so so much better, but, if you feel the need to be away from main tourist areas, then you must look down at where you walk, not ideal for visiting Venice eh!?

5 Thank havebagwilltravel42
Giovanellivenice, Direttore generale at Hotel Palazzo Giovanelli, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Customer, We thank you for your words.
They are for us the severe whipping, unexpected. We must also accept and think that perfection is not of this world, but we, because of our periodic internal audits, the efforts we make in staff training, for the attention we put into our work,we comfortably exceed sufficiency.
As confirmation of this we can show approval and compliments we receive on a regular basis by customers.

If we do not incur in error, I hope you can confirm that you acquired through intermediaries at one of our most important Tour Operator, who represents us, since the inauguration, with great success.
You chose a superior, the most economic room offered, and we assigned, in respect, firstly to you and as tribute to the T.O, a superior room overlooking the Grand Canal.

But surely we must recognize that you, from what we see in your profile, as frequent traveler, in your reviews, to all the hotels visited, are very severe and generally dissatisfied, in my professional life about 40 years, I' happened before, not many times.
We must in any case contest, kindly, some of your statements:
Our hotel, opened in March 2010, offers various types, 11 different types of rooms and of different sizes,
The most economic rooms are the most small in size, the quality of services are closely linked with the price.
Description of the rooms with all the details and details are clearly on our website and usable before booking.
The wi fi and 'pay, confirm it, again according to the parameters of the quality of the rooms.
Currently, the politics of many hotels are to pay for the service of wi-fi,
As soon as the prices of Italian suppliers of WI-FI, will be reduced, we will be the first to be happy not to charge the cost of the service.

While we cannot exclude a fatal error, we inform you that the soaps are provided in the original packaging, new, and also the whole series of amenities provided in the room, are new and sealed. prepared for the arrival of customers
We cannot understand your statement on the shampoo, it’s curious.
The refilling, in addition to be not permitted, being products of great brand, would not be economical.

Towels. Here we received the most big disappointment from you.
The towels that you, ironically, defines tablecloths were created and packaged, only for us exclusively by the Factory RIVOLTA DI CARMIGNANI,
an Italian excellence in this field and worldwide.
Were made with Egyptian cotton, (the best) and silk, with monogram of two griffons, our logo, with the choice of three shades of color, in three different sizes.
We inform also, only for curiosity , that this type of towels are so highly appreciated by customers in good taste, and often, we are asked for the direct purchase
by customers, and we regularly buy new to answer the request.

It goes without saying that there are others in the room towels very good, but of common good sponge, maybe you appreciate more .
If you have the courtesy to tell us the number of the room occupied we can verify the operation of the shower
in fact we do not have other reports, apart from his, of malfunction in any bathroom.

We also tried to figure out what he wanted to tell us complaints about the service of our breakfast.
we serve all kinds of hot and cold drinks, coffee american, espresso, espresso, pure Arabic, cappuccino, latte, tea, infusions.
4 types of fresh bread, three different types of croissants, toast, freshly prepared, sliced bread, biscuits, three different types of jam, 3 different types
of honey, and 4 types of sugar and sweeteners, 3 or 4 different types of cheeses, 3 or 4 different types of meats,
ham, salami, mortadella, speck, a variety of fresh seasonal fruit, variety of fresh fruit already prepared, packaged juices, canned fruit, dried fruit.
The orange juice is on-demand, as you well know orange juice must be fresh, not prepared in advance because it loses its quality flavor.
eggs, different types of preparation, crepes, made to order, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages.
the bacon tends to be fat, I would add ‘’ must’’ to be fat, As you will have seen we constantly state and monitor and changed the preparation
A series of small cakes from oven, three types of homemade cakes.

We are not aware that our customers are unhappy or our staff will be, indeed.
Unfortunately, it happens that often move and somatize to other persons their feelings negative.

Sorry to read when you could not slept well, only your last night due to itching.
Here, too, we are mortified, but we had no other reports of this type by any guest.

We report if necessary, that we regularly sanitize to our rooms and all the furnishings, dutifully.

Sorry you do not have reported it, immediately, we consider it serious, we could verify in your presence.
We can only say that your rooms after your departure was occupied again and again, without any troubles.

Thanks again, really by heart.
Each alert and we assessed with the utmost attention and held in high esteem.

With your permission, your words have intrigued very much.
We will be happy to host you, here, at PALAZZO for a stay of two nights, as our guest, in the near future.
Of course, according to our possible availability , in order to discuss with you and to receive from you more direct valuable suggestions
to improve our performances,
Please, feel free to contact me, do not hesitate to we will be happy to welcome you back.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in May 2012 on the first part of our honeymoon. The hotel is located right on the Gran Canal, so the boat ride from the airport was very smooth. Check-in was a breeze and we were relieved when we entered our room and saw the size and cleanliness of it. The bathroom was also very modern, clean and spacious. The hotel is in a quiet part of Venice, which made it harder to walk back each night but it was very quiet during the night which allowed us to sleep. On our travel day, we took a short nap in the room and left the window open. The sound of the boats driving by was very relaxing. On our second day, while waiting at the front desk, we overheard a couple talking to about a private boat ride to Murano. The receptionist then asked us if we wanted to join the couple on a complimentary ride. Our plan was always to go to Murano by ferry, as we didn't know the hotel provided private rides. That was a very nice surprise. They have a nice outside terrace, where we enjoyed meats, cheeses and wine after a long day of sightseeing. This was a nice hotel and i would recommend it for travelers who are looking to enjoy the quiet side of Venice after long days of sightseeing. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DC1031
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I planned a visit to Venice for two nights in November before continuing on Trieste to catch a cruise of the Adriatic. I had booked another hotel through Hotwire and after finding the hotel, was told that they had had a pipe burst and due to flooding, I would have to be moved to a "sister" property for the first night. Having read numerous other reviews of properties in Venice, and how this seemed to be a "normal" occurance of hotels overbooking rooms to other higher paying guests and moving the lower paying guests to "comparable" hotels, only to find that they aren't, I was blessed with being moved to this property. A few small canals over and right off the Vaporetto Line 1 stop San Stae, I was impressed from the minute I entered the internal courtyard. I received a room on the 3rd floor (2nd floor for us Americans). Although not one of the coveted Canal facing rooms, I was able to see the San Stae square.

The hotel is in a converted Palazzo (Small Palace) which are quite common in Venice and are similar to large estate type houses here, but of course from anywhere from the 15th to 19th Centuries! The room was quite modern with electronic key locks, flat screen tv with Sky Satellite, and a very ultra modern Italian bathroom with shower. Breakfast buffet (included) was in a small breakfast room in the back of the lobby, near the exit onto the private launch on the Grande Canal, and was perfect with a selection of meats, cheeses, cereals, juices and scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. I was so impressed with this place I tried to stay the second night, but was brought back to my original hotel.

I arrived from Rome via the train and then Vaparetto #1 from the train station to San Stae stop. I thought the price for 2 stops (7 Euros) was outrageous, and so ended up walking back to the train station upon my departure. One of the joys of Venice is walking and exploring the city and I would recommend anyone with limited luggage to take this option and use the money for a longer Vaporetto trip or a good meal! The locations was quite nice, and very quiet at night. The Rialto Bridge was probably a 5-10 minute walk, and San Marco another 10 minutes from there. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel with the modern conveniences but in a beautiful old Palazzo.

Room Tip: Try try try to get a room facing/overlooking the Grande Canal.