“In search of homemade gelato”
Review of Gelateria Alaska

Gelateria Alaska
Ranked #49 of 89 Dessert in Venice
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We read about this place in "Eat Venice", a foodies' guide to Venice, and set out to find it after dinner. (It's east of the train station, across the bridge in front of the station; follow the per Rialto signs and you will stumble on it, just past one of the small piazzas.) It's amusing to read the reviews with such mixed experiences, as this place is the rare one that still makes its own gelato. My partner had half hazelnut cocoa and half banana. The banana was clearly better; the hazelnut was icy with less flavor. I had half pistachio and half tiramisu; both were good, creamy with no icy texture. So go for the creamy choices, and if in doubt, ask to sample.

Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I tried gelato at many places, and have had gelato in mant countries outside Italy, and to call this "gelato" is an insult. It was basically crushed ice with some bad flavour, like a snowcone... I had orange, pear and lemon, all had the same terrible consistency and taste. The orange tasted like peel, pear like kernels and lemon was not good either. Too bad, as the owner was sweet old man :-(

2  Thank EricaRJL
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Being a fiend for ice cream, I made it a mission to try as many gelato as possible in Venice. Alaska was a regular stop, as the flavours here are unique (celery and salad?!) and subtle too. The chap serving appears to live in his tiny shop as it seemingly never shuts, and was very friendly too politely replying to my terrible Italian. I really liked this ice cream as it was so different to everywhere else and it tastes like natural ingredients which the owner s very proud of, not fake lime green pistachio madness.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I had a celery and ppear cone on my first night in Venice. A large portion for a very reasonable price. The only disappointing thing was the lack of other exciting weird flavors at this time of the night. Still good enough to visit again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was really looking forward to eating good gelato in Venice. My Italian tour guide told me about Alaska, so my expectation was high. I ordered 3 scoops of gelato, but the portion was so small and it looked so different from the image on the menu. The taste was ok, but I should have gone to other gelateria.