“Cheap hotel in venice, clean and adequate.”
Review of Hotel Canal

Hotel Canal
Ranked #262 of 385 Hotels in Venice
UK
“Cheap hotel in venice, clean and adequate.”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Whilst this is definitely not a luxury hotel it is in a great location, especially if you're arriving at P.Roma late in the evening. You can drop your bags off and then you are straight out to eat. Loads of restaurants/bars around the local area and reasonaby priced. Also you are so close to many of the water bus stops so easy navigation around the city. After all.... who comes to Venice to stay in the hotel room? The hotel is old....it's venice! But that said, it is very clean. Our room was spacious for Venice (205) and had a great view of the Grand Canal. Yes the tiles in the bathroom were worn, the door was split at the bottom and the main window had a crack, but for 50 euros a night it means more available money for sights, food and enjoying Venice. It is noisy, you hear all the boats and chatter - but that's all part of the Venice atmosphere!! If you are coming to Venice for a once in a lifetime trip don't stay here, but if, like us, it's your fifth time in the City and you will visit again, then it's a great place to sleep. We found the staff helpful, efficient and polite. Breakfast typical of many Italian hotels. We wouldn't pay more than we did, if they charged more I'd find somewhere else. But if it was a good deal I'd stay again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 31, 2011

This hotel is a shabby at best. Out of all my trips to Europe, I have never seen such a tiny bedroom or bathroom. The bathroom door wouldn't close without rearranging the mini bar. The foot of the bed practically scraped the walls. The halls had the clear smell of sewer gases lingering. The staff was stiff and not helpful. There are far better choices in Venice for the price.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2011

would go to venice again , but i would never ever stay or recomend this place to my worst enemy (if i had one) the photo"s you see when you check the hotel out must have been taken years and years ago, people very nice , the only thing i can say that is good about this place is , its location . i have travelled a lot and to lots of third world countrys but this is the worst place , the smell in the hotel made me feel sick every morning , on the photo s its shows you glass shower cubicles well we had 2 pipes coming out of the walls for our shower , it shows curtains we did not have any at all only a piece of dirty net that was to small for the windows , all the furniture was in a very bad state of repair , the list goes on , this is the 1st bad review i have ever done out of at least 20 holidays , so no i am not been nasty just honest

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed in a triple room in this hotel. Yes it is a budget hotel and for 69 euro a night for a triple you have to expect it to not be flash. I don't have a problem with this hotel and would stay again. Our room (213) was spacious and located at the back of the hotel and was very quite. The room was clean with a good bathroom with bath and shower. We did have friends that had a double room on the other side of the hotel and their room was quite small and very noisy. They had paid about the same as ours for a canal view and I think we got the better deal. I slept like a log in the comfy bed and actually had a pillow that wasn't flat like the rest we experienced in Italy. If you are on a budget then this hotel does the job, somewhere to sleep and wash.

Some positives
Location is good, close to the train and bus stations and an easy walk to San Marco. Lots of places to eat close by.
Unlike others we found the staff friendly enough. I noticed at breakfast that the so called cranky woman was only cranky with people that treated her like rubbish. We were friendly to her and thanked her daily for her service and as such she was very friendly to us and even put aside a table for us one morning when she realised we hadn't come down until late. I think the saying treat others how you want to be treated is the trick with her. On the food side the buffet wasn't that flash but to be honest I ate what I ate at other hotels that had a big selection anyway. There was enough to satisfy you.

Some things that could be better
The reception is quite dated and needs a lot of spruicing up. It also had a bit of a stench to it but we didn't spend that much time there so it didn't matter. Our room didn't smell at all so that was all that mattered.
The hotel is dated and there are walls that need attending to. As we were leaving we noticed they were doing work on some floors and they were also putting in new TVs.
A lift would be nice, especially for those heavy bags.
The wifi is expensive.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tsutt35
Reviewed December 19, 2010

This hotel was nice. Clean and friendly, but the only way I would reccomend it is if they got new beds because the bed we slept on I think was broken. Other than that its near the canal and the train station and the staff was friendly. So I would reccomend it, but I would also warn them.

• Stayed November 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 24, 2010

My son and I spent two nights at the Canal Hotel at the end of October. Unfortunately we had no choice but to arrive at 8:30 in the morning. I knew in advance that I should not expect our room to be available but after we checked in with the unfriendly staff memeber, we were told to put our luggage over against the wall of the small lobby right out in the lobby. Was not happy about that to say the least. We werent' even offered with suggestions with what to do with ourselves until check-in time. It was cold and rainy outside and no offers of coffee or anything. So off we went to explore beautiful Venice. When we came back several hours later our luggage was still there but no help was offered to carry our heavy suitcases up stairs. My son could handle them with no problem but I was annoyed that he had to make 3 trips upstairs while his ol mom stood by. Later that night when we went out to eat, a different guy was behind the desk and didn't even acknowledge us. The breakfast in the morning was fine...we're not talking Denny's here people, but it was more than enough. The nasty lady everyone talked about in the other reviews I read was no where to be found...the staff was friendly enough in getting your cappuccino or cafe' Americano. We had a decent enough view...the Grand canel view room I requested was from the side of the hotel but it was fine. There was noise at night but that is what ear plugs are for! The bidet was half way under the sink in the bathroom so was pretty much useless. Never understood those things anyway!! The bathtub/shower was literally 2 feet by 4 feet...fine for a small child but not an adult..trust me!! Sheets were not changed daily but since we were only staying for two nights we didn't complain. All in all it was fine for a place to put your head on a pillow at night. Wish the staff would of been friendlier, that always makes your stay anywhere so much better. Oh well...we were in Venice!!! Even in the cold and rain, it was magnificent!!

Stayed October 2010
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed November 7, 2010

No hot Water on first Day, No Toilet Paper on first Day , Bathroom smells foul, Breakfast not much to talk about, Staff not very friendly , Rooms could do with some dusting,All in all for 150 euros a Night it was a RIPOFF,

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family