“A definite must visit when in Venice”

Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro
Ranked #5 of 334 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: To purchase my studio is open from Monday to Saturday from 10.30 To 18.00. On request and payment I perform demonstrations with explanations of the production process for up to 5 people.
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Instead of heading out to murano, or taking a chance at buying some glass without knowing its provenance, visit Mauro Vianello's studio/shop on the calle de morti. It is a privilege to watch him at work. This is real artisan glass making at its very best. The pieces are technically brilliant and sometimes very witty too! I bought a little glass chicken - a perfect representation of one of my chickens at home, and while I watched Mauro Vianello made a perfect dolphin for me too. His website is: www.maurovianello.com and there are links to videos showing him at work. I think that visiting this studio gives the visitor an authentic view into Venetian craftsmanship.

5  Thank ahopefultraveller
"factories"
"objects"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed March 3, 2010

It si exactly what will happen to you if you will have the occasion to watch the Maestro Mauro Vianello sit at his table while he is creating one of his masterpiece.
This is what happens to me each time I go to visit him in his laboratory.
Time fly away, hours look like minutes...without you realize it.
It seems so easy but it is so difficult. He works with the knowledge of years of experience.
His background is founded on the collaboration with great Masters of the past.
If you are planning to go to visit Venice....don't miss to visit the Mauro Vianello's laboratory.
That's will be the main mevory of your trip.

1  Thank apalom
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Visiting Mauro's shop was an unexpected highlight of our trip to Venice. Mauro is a true, and extremely skilled artist and his glass sculptures are works of art! His shop is like an Aladdin's cave and as we looked round, we kept spotting little wonders made out of glass! Mauro is friendly and was only too happy to explain his work. Right in front of us he produced the most beautiful dolphin out of rods of blue Murano glass - it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! We were under no pressure to buy but having seen dolphin 'born' and knowing it was absolutely unique how could we not?! Visiting Mauro was far far better than our trip to Murano - for me it is a must when visiting Venice!

3  Thank bladesgirl
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I went to visit Mauro Vianello's glass shop in the heart of Venice where he skillfully creates all sorts of different objects out of glass. I received a warm welcome on entering his workshop on Calle dei Morti, not far from the Rialto bridge. The shop is full of an array of different objects, from miniature figures to vases and jewellry.
At one end of the shop, there is his work area with blow torch and lots of different coloured glass for him to work with. He asked me if I'd like to see him at work and what my favourite animal was. I said dogs and so he then, within a few minutes, proceeded to create a little dalmatian dog out of glass before my very eyes! It seemed so effortless but when I asked him how long he had to train to reach this level of skill, he smiled and said "Years!". I asked if he preferred making miniature figures rather than other things and he said that he didn't prefer making any particular object, he just loved creating whatever his customers wish for!
He showed me a tiny little flower that he had created previously and I couldn't believe how small and intricate it was. I asked how he can see well enough to make such tiny objects, and he explained that his glasses, that he wears when he's working, are specially designed so that the glare of the flame is eliminated and he can see clearly what he is working on within the flame. All the same, I am still stunned that he can make objects of such tiny dimensions and make such beautiful and detailed little figures.
It really is worth visiting his workshop, as this is true artistry and not the mass produced trinkets that you find in the many tourist stalls elsewhere in the city. And you have the added pleasure of seeing Mauro at work.

4  Thank Merjie