“Glass demonstration”

Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro
Ranked #11 of 324 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: To purchase my studio is open from Monday to Saturday from 10.30 To 18.00. On request and payment I perform demonstrations with explanations of the production process for up to 5 people.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I emailed Mauro and asked if I could visit and have a demonstration. He was more than happy to accommodate us. My girlfriend and I arranged to meet him at his store at 12 and he was working away. He introduced himself and explained a little about his shop and his art. He set up his workstation and spend about 20-30 minutes making a clown fish. He commentated the whole thing and was friendly and open to questions. Mauro is an extremely talented artist and he is very friendly and welcoming. Best thing we did in Venice.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"objects"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Mauro is a real first-class artist, and -not secondarily- a gentleman too. No other words are needed, you have to visit him in his lab, it will be one of the best hours spent during your Venice tour.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Whether Mauro and his work are the "top" visit in Venice depends on why you go to Venice. It also depends on how tripadvisor configures its own site, mixing and allowing its users to select or exclude what those users wish. Web users should understand that the truth is not determined by popular vote.

The glasswork is excellent. If you would like to speak, privately with a local who knows Italy, Italian, and Glass art, you will appreciate the personal time that Mauro sets aside to do so. He can also get by English.

We have visited Venice 8 times now, having first discovered his work at his shop in the San Marco quarter. He has now moved to the somewhat less touristy San Polo area. Harder to find, but still worth the visit.

He makes many different types of pieces. We stopped in to speak because he had a good number of animal figures on display. This November 2012, he favored vases. We have sent photos and had several pieces custom made for ourselves or as gifts, including a puffin, rooster, and hippo. The beautiful pieces were made each time on a be satisfied or simply refuse it basis. The price is proper for bespoke art created with a right of refusal. Our friends and family who received one of Mauro's blown glass objects as a gift also thought they were wonderful.

We wish Mr. Vianello continuing success in his chosen art.

2  Thank Swissbased
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I first encountered Mauro 4 years ago after reading reviews on this site. I was not disappointed then and I was delighted to have an opportunity to return this time. I contacted Mauro a couple of months before my visit to ask him to make a present for my husband. I sent him a photograph of an acorn and Mauro made a beautiful piece. My husband is delighted with his gift and we are both very happy to think of our visit embodied in this work of art. In addition I bought a very cute little snowman who will take pride of place on the Christmas tree. Mauro is very committed to his art and his enthusiasm and depth of understanding is humbling. In addition he was very helpful about suggesting where we might visit while in Venice and if it hadn't been for his advice we would have missed the fascinating Carlo Scarpa glass exhibition on San Giorgio Maggiore. I hope now that I can consider Mauro to be our good friend. Seek out the little video on you tube and follow his route to his shop. You won't be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Being a person who works with glass, part of my trip to Venice was to go to Murano to see some of the different glass shops. But in researching my trip and surfing the web, I came across Mr. Mauro and his glass shop. After watching the posted videos (check them out on YouTube) I understood that I did not need to go to Murano to see a true glass artist at work; that a truly gifted glassblower existed in Venice proper. I am glad that I did stop in. Mr. Mauro was a very gracious host (I wrote and told him of my desire to visit his shop and he replied and invited me to stop by whenever it was convenient during my stay in Venice) and took the time to make two individual pieces while I was there, explaining the process as he went. One of the reasons I chose to visit Mr. Mauro is that he creates unique and beautiful glass pieces of fish, shells and other sea creatures - very lifelike; and it was amazing to watch him make them in a matter of minutes. Mr. Mauro is very friendly to his visitors and makes them feel welcome without any sales-pitch: something I heard happens all too often on Murano. His shop and store are one. It is tucked away in a corner of Santa Croce and although I heard that it was difficult to find I had no problem locating it - there is a video on the Internet that shows you exactly how to get to it. I highly recommend visiting Mr. Mauro; it will be an unforgettable experience and you will walk away glad that you did.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank Gene L