“Meet a Venetian, master glassblower”

Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro
Ranked #10 of 298 Shopping in Venice
More attraction details
Owner description: To purchase my studio is open from Monday to Saturday from 10.30 To 18.00. On request and payment I perform demonstrations with explanations of the production process for up to 5 people.
FR
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Meet a Venetian, master glassblower”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Whether Mauro and his work are the "top" visit in Venice depends on why you go to Venice. It also depends on how tripadvisor configures its own site, mixing and allowing its users to select or exclude what those users wish. Web users should understand that the truth is not determined by popular vote.

The glasswork is excellent. If you would like to speak, privately with a local who knows Italy, Italian, and Glass art, you will appreciate the personal time that Mauro sets aside to do so. He can also get by English.

We have visited Venice 8 times now, having first discovered his work at his shop in the San Marco quarter. He has now moved to the somewhat less touristy San Polo area. Harder to find, but still worth the visit.

He makes many different types of pieces. We stopped in to speak because he had a good number of animal figures on display. This November 2012, he favored vases. We have sent photos and had several pieces custom made for ourselves or as gifts, including a puffin, rooster, and hippo. The beautiful pieces were made each time on a be satisfied or simply refuse it basis. The price is proper for bespoke art created with a right of refusal. Our friends and family who received one of Mauro's blown glass objects as a gift also thought they were wonderful.

We wish Mr. Vianello continuing success in his chosen art.

2 Thank Swissbased

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Fintry, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A happy return visit”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I first encountered Mauro 4 years ago after reading reviews on this site. I was not disappointed then and I was delighted to have an opportunity to return this time. I contacted Mauro a couple of months before my visit to ask him to make a present for my husband. I sent him a photograph of an acorn and Mauro made a beautiful piece. My husband is delighted with his gift and we are both very happy to think of our visit embodied in this work of art. In addition I bought a very cute little snowman who will take pride of place on the Christmas tree. Mauro is very committed to his art and his enthusiasm and depth of understanding is humbling. In addition he was very helpful about suggesting where we might visit while in Venice and if it hadn't been for his advice we would have missed the fascinating Carlo Scarpa glass exhibition on San Giorgio Maggiore. I hope now that I can consider Mauro to be our good friend. Seek out the little video on you tube and follow his route to his shop. You won't be disappointed.

Santa Barbara, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Truly worth a visit!”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Being a person who works with glass, part of my trip to Venice was to go to Murano to see some of the different glass shops. But in researching my trip and surfing the web, I came across Mr. Mauro and his glass shop. After watching the posted videos (check them out on YouTube) I understood that I did not need to go to Murano to see a true glass artist at work; that a truly gifted glassblower existed in Venice proper. I am glad that I did stop in. Mr. Mauro was a very gracious host (I wrote and told him of my desire to visit his shop and he replied and invited me to stop by whenever it was convenient during my stay in Venice) and took the time to make two individual pieces while I was there, explaining the process as he went. One of the reasons I chose to visit Mr. Mauro is that he creates unique and beautiful glass pieces of fish, shells and other sea creatures - very lifelike; and it was amazing to watch him make them in a matter of minutes. Mr. Mauro is very friendly to his visitors and makes them feel welcome without any sales-pitch: something I heard happens all too often on Murano. His shop and store are one. It is tucked away in a corner of Santa Croce and although I heard that it was difficult to find I had no problem locating it - there is a video on the Internet that shows you exactly how to get to it. I highly recommend visiting Mr. Mauro; it will be an unforgettable experience and you will walk away glad that you did.

Visited November 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

2 Thank Gene L
North Haven, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Outstanding artist, beautiful work and very informative!”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My sister, daughter and I were visiting Venice for one day, and had read about Mauro on this site. I wanted to see ho w they make beautiful glass art, but was turned off when I read the reviews about Murano. When I found out about Mauro, we had to go! It was just what I wanted! A small shop, where the artist is working as he talks to you! Mauro was extremely friendly and willing to share his knowledge with us as he worked. He made a beautiful penguin for my younger daughter (who was home with my husband!) right in front of our eyes!!! That penguin now has a special place in our home and always in our hearts! Watching him work was fascinating to me, and I have a new appreciation for glass pieces. We found Mauro to be very well spoken (in English!) and were able to photograph him as he worked! A definite plus for my younger daughter, since she couldn't be with us! We now consider Mauro a good friend after spending some time with him on our only day in Venice - but it was well worth our time. Finding his shop, which is on a small street, was a bit daunting, but once we found him, we were thrilled we didn't give up. Can't wait to go back and visit him again!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank AngigiNov
glasshandmade, Owner at Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your visit.
I understand that many times it's difficult to please all the peoples who come to see me at work, but the most gratifying thing for me is when peoples at the end leave my studio
with the desire to return here again.
Mauro
Brussels, Belgium
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Interesting visit - no more”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had arranged with Mr. Vianello to visit his workshop by e-mail, having read the positive comments on Trip Advisor. He was pleasant enough, but the big disadvantage was that his English was very limited (perhaps he speaks other languages very well, mea culpa). I speak Italian, so I had an interesting chat with him (or rather he shared his life story with me - brought up in Venice fascinated by glass blowers, his father wanted him to be an accountant but his life calling was glass blowing etc). I translated some of the information to my children, who were indeed fascinated by his glass blowing of a penguin. Mr Vianello does not charge for his visits, so it would be churlish to regret that he cannot communicate his love for his profession in a language other than Italian. I did however get the feeling that he is cashing in a bit on the good reports on Trip Advisor by charging a hefty amount for the glass pieces in his workshop. As we are laymen, we had no idea if 110 euros for a couple of small animals was the going price or not. My recommendation - enjoy the company of Mr Vianello, thank him for spending a bit of his time with you, but make sure you know about glass object and the price thereof before you venture to buy on a whim in his shop.

1 Thank Anna E
glasshandmade, Owner at Artigianato d'Arte di Vianello Mauro, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
The book visits with demonstrations (among other free of charge) are to see me at work with the hot glass, for about 30/50 minutes, sometimes I give information in English if it is not sufficiently correct, I am very very sorry because I am not an English teacher but masterglassmaker.
And it is true also:
We'll begin with box; the plural is boxes, but the plural of ox, is oxen not oxes.
One fowl is a goose, and two are called geese, yet the plural of moose is never called meese.
You may find a lone mouse in a house full of mice, but the plural of house is houses, not hice.
The plural of man is always men, but the plural of pan is never pen.
If I speak of a foot, and you show me two feet, and I give you a book, would a pair be a beek?
If one is a tooth and a whole set are theeth, why shouldn't two booths be called beeth?
If the singular's this and the plural is these, shuold the plural of kiss be ever called keese?
We speak of a brother and also of brethren, but though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him, but imagine the feminine .. she, shi and shim...
Regarding my glass production, all my items are of excellent quality with many details and treated in all respects, and for those who buy them are packed with cotton with box for transporting all qualities that going to affect the price.